Lkjhgfdsa_77's Transcriptions for Other Instruments - ザ・ワードⅡ (The Word II)

Started by Lkjhgfdsa_77, December 08, 2016, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lkjhgfdsa_77

I have been making some non-piano arrangements and I decided that I should make a thread for them. These are mostly transcriptions of sheets on the site for instruments that I play (cello, ocarina, piano) so I could perform them. Because of the greater amount of comments that I will likely put on these I have decided to use a slightly different format than my personal arrangements thread.

Just an FYI that I have two ocarinas, one alto (A3-F5) and one soprano (Bb4-D6). For most of my arrangements I will usually write specifically for one of those ranges, which may mean that the key might be changed. (21 Sep 2017 - I got a dual chamber C4-C5 / A4-A5 ocarina a while back.)

~- As of now I'm only putting up the full score -~

Song Title || Game || Instruments || LDA || Completion

Dark World || The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past || Soprano Ocarina Duet and Cello Trio || 60 || 85%

Changed the key from C to Bb because my ocarina is tuned for Bb. Ocarina 1 has the melody for the entire song while Ocarina 2 provides harmony and counter-melody. The cellos have the bassline. Put in a small ending which seems lackluster for now but I'll probably edit it later.
ScoreOcarina 1Ocarina 2Cello 1Cello 2Cello 3
.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf

Fairy Fountain || The Legend of Zelda series || Soprano Ocarina, Piano, Cello Quartet || 80 || 75%

A piece that starts off with the basic melody (ocarina) and slowly builds on itself, adding the cello and piano counter-melody and bassline. Because of just fitting inside of my ocarina's range the key form Ocarina of Time was able to be preserved.
ScoreOcarinaPianoCello 1Cello 2Cello 3Cello 4
.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf

Skyview Temple || The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword || Cello Quartet || 78 || 80%

Used Bloop's arrangement for most of this. Added in a few for strings, like the grace notes in the fourth part and softer harmonies which I thought sounded better.
ScoreCello 1Cello 2Cello 3Cello 4
.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf

The Kokiri Legend (possibly working title) || The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time || String Orchestra (w/ optional piano accompaniment) || 25 || 55%

The Kokiri Legend highlights the beginning of Ocarina of Time, replicating the general story arc and music order found in that section of the game. The songs planning to be included are The Great Deku Tree theme, Kokiri Forest, possibly Inside the Great Deku Tree, possibly some battle and boss motifs, and Zelda main theme motifs. Arranging for a string orchestra feels different than getting to choose my instruments, but I have gotten used to it. (It's also strangely rewarding - 10 measures can get you across an entire page. I wonder what concert band full scores look like... ) My original thoughts were to arrange this for my school orchestra, because some of my friends are pushing for a Zelda medley to be played in band. However, seeing as it will likely be over 100 measures long with multiple key and time changes, it will be a challenge.
ScorePianoViolin 1Violin 2ViolaCelloContrabass

Dew Shimmers || LittleBIGPlanet 2 || Transcription (2 Glockenspiels, Harp, 2 Percussion Kits, String Section, Bass Guitar) || 20 || 40%

This piece is very nostalgic to me for some reason. I used to play this game when I was younger and it reminds me of childhood. This piece was actually sequenced in-game and this is just me transcribing it into "normal" music notation. Note that the original file was created in MuseScore to accommodate the large amount of staves.
ScoreGlockenspiel 1Glockenspiel 2HarpPercussion Kit 1Percussion Kit 2Violin 1Violin 2ViolaCelloContrabassBass Guitar
.mid
.mus
.pdf

Mechanical Kingdom || Radiant Historia || Classical Orchestra || 75 || 65%

An arrangement of Mechanical Kindgom for a classical orchestra. Expect more detail about it when an update comes. A "classical" orchestra means that the instrumentation was inspired after orchestras in the classical time period, which typically consisted of a string section, woodwind section, and limited brass and percussion. I added a snare and bass drum to add the percussion pattern that happens in the song. I decided to add more layers to the basic melody as well as a new ending.
ScoreFluteOboeBb ClarinetBassoonHorn in FBb TrumpetTimpani in E, C, ASnare DrumBass DrumViolin 1Violin 2ViolaCelloDouble Bass

ザ・ワードⅡ (The Word II) || Special Sound Series Vol. 2 || Transcription (Drum Kit, Chimes, Electone, String Synth) || 65 || 70%
A transcription of Shigeo Sekito's ザ・ワードⅡ with a focus on accuracy. I'm not completely sure whether I chose the right instruments; I know that the electone (a type of electronic organ) was used in the album, but everything else was inferred. There currently is no drum part because I have no experience with writing for drums. Because organ music is very particular to how long notes last, the main version omits any grace notes and writes these out in time. I also made a version with grace notes in both melody lines for ease of reading.
ScoreScore (with grace notes)Drum KitChimesElectoneString Synth
.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf
.musx.musx

Template for personal use
songTitle || game ||instruments || lda || completion%
description, completion details, etc.
ScorePart 1Part 2
.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf
[close]
- Lkjhgfdsa_77
Arr | Tran | LiPo | Intro | YT | Blog

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Updated the score for The Kokiri Legend, I haven't worked on it in a while but I was able to draft up to the Inside the Deku Tree section. Up until this point arrangements on NSM were available for the tracks used in the medley, so starting with Inside the Deku Tree I was roughly arranging by ear. However, both Inside the Deku Tree and Battle have very free times and don't have a strong beat, so the note durations were approximated and a second check would be nice. The current triplet version accompanied with a 12/8 time signature change would work fine for Inside the Deku Tree, but Battle may or may not be able to fit in to that. While I do want each instrument to play one note in the chords in Inside the Deku Tree, I had trouble figuring out exactly which ones should play which parts. This is more of an "I'm still working on it" update more than anything; the part that I wrote is far from done but it's a general draft.

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on December 08, 2016, 05:10:11 PMThe Kokiri Legend (possibly working title) || The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time || String Orchestra (w/ optional piano accompaniment) || 25 || 55%

The Kokiri Legend highlights the beginning of Ocarina of Time, replicating the general story arc and music order found in that section of the game. The songs planning to be included are The Great Deku Tree theme, Kokiri Forest, possibly Inside the Great Deku Tree, possibly some battle and boss motifs, and Zelda main theme motifs. Arranging for a string orchestra feels different than getting to choose my instruments, but I have gotten used to it. (It's also strangely rewarding - 10 measures can get you across an entire page. I wonder what concert band full scores look like... ) My original thoughts were to arrange this for my school orchestra, because some of my friends are pushing for a Zelda medley to be played in band. However, seeing as it will likely be over 100 measures long with multiple key and time changes, it will be a challenge.
ScorePianoViolin 1Violin 2ViolaCelloContrabass
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Brassman388

Keep working on it. Most experience on writing scores just comes from just writing altogether. Don't worry about getting the meter just right, I'll take a look at it when you're more than done with that section to go over it with you, if you want.

I am genuinely excited to see what you come up with.

And remember, just keep working.

If you're having trouble figuring out voicings for each instrument, you can take a look at a few of the arrangements that I did for just strings in my arrangement thread.

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 14, 2017, 09:26:20 PMKeep working on it. Most experience on writing scores just comes from just writing altogether. Don't worry about getting the meter just right, I'll take a look at it when you're more than done with that section to go over it with you, if you want.

I am genuinely excited to see what you come up with.

And remember, just keep working.

If you're having trouble figuring out voicings for each instrument, you can take a look at a few of the arrangements that I did for just strings in my arrangement thread.
Thanks for the feedback. I came to an impasse when writing the Battle theme, which is introduced by the violas, added to by the basses, and the melody is taken by the cellos. However, there is no obvious meter to both Battle and Inside the Deku Tree, so it's a challenge to merge the two pieces together, especially without an abrupt change. I'll definitely have to look at it more and see what other options I have.

Started transcribing Dew Shimmers from the PS3 platformer LittleBIGPlanet 2. I used to play this game when I was younger and it's very nostalgic to me. This piece was actually composed in the in-game music sequencer, which is not in standard music notation. This is just a matter of reading the notes off of there and copying them into Finale. The goal with this one is to turn it into a piano arrangement and I thought it would help to have a transcription in proper musical format.

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on December 08, 2016, 05:10:11 PMDew Shimmers || LittleBIGPlanet 2 || Transcription (2 Glockenspiels, Harp, 2 Percussion Kits, String Section, Bass Guitar) || 20 || 40%
This piece is very nostalgic to me for some reason. I used to play this game when I was younger and it reminds me of childhood. This piece was actually sequenced in-game and this is just me transcribing it into "normal" music notation. Note that the original file was created in MuseScore to accommodate the large amount of staves.
ScoreGlockenspiel 1Glockenspiel 2HarpPercussion Kit 1Percussion Kit 2Violin 1Violin 2ViolaCelloContrabassBass Guitar
.mid
.mus
.pdf

28 Jan 2017 - Finished transcribing Dew Shimmers. Links are automatically updated. There are some parts where the strings play pizzicato (plucked), but it is not reflected in the playback and .mid.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Third Day of Hanukkah
8 7 6 5 ^ 4 3 2 1
(clickable chanukiah)

Arranged the song ザ・ワードⅡ (The Word II) from Shigeo Sekito's album Special Sound Series Vol. 2. Shigeo Sekito is a Japanese electone player active in the 70s and 80s; information about him is scarce and it is still unknown whether he is currently alive. The Word II is arguably the most popular song which he produced, being quoted in Mac Demarco's Chamber of Reflection as well as several lofi hip hop tracks. However, The Word II is an outlier in terms of Sekito's other work; it has a more gloomy feel compared to the rest of the album and is one of the only pieces which Sekito himself composed (the rest are covers of music of the time). In my transcription, I tried to replicate the rhythm of the piece as accurately as I could. I decided to write it without grace notes to be accurate, but for reading I also made a version with grace notes. The only instrument that I know is in the piece is the electone, so I'm not confident in my choice for instruments.

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on December 08, 2016, 05:10:11 PMザ・ワードⅡ (The Word II) || Special Sound Series Vol. 2 || Transcription (Drum Kit, Chimes, Electone, String Synth) || 65 || 70%
A transcription of Shigeo Sekito's ザ・ワードⅡ with a focus on accuracy. I'm not completely sure whether I chose the right instruments; I know that the electone (a type of electronic organ) was used in the album, but everything else was inferred. There currently is no drum part because I have no experience with writing for drums. Because organ music is very particular to how long notes last, the main version omits any grace notes and writes these out in time. I also made a version with grace notes in both melody lines for ease of reading.
ScoreScore (with grace notes)Drum KitChimesElectoneString Synth
.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid.mid
.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus.mus
.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf.pdf
.musx.musx
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

victorcat

Thanks a lot for sharing. I have been looking for the sheet music of Seiko's song for a long time.