News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Animated films

Started by Nitro Indigo, October 23, 2016, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

While we're on the subject of unpopular opinions here, for all of its flaws, I can't hate Cars 2. Sure, everyone acts like an idiot and it can't decide what its target audience is, but...
- There are lots of little details, especially the character's expressions (for example, Axlerod's faint smile when Lightning calls in to the talk show).
- Some shots could pass for photographs, and there's an unlisted video on the Disney-Pixar YouTube channel about how the animators car-ified lots of real world structures.
- Gosh, that opening is atmospheric.
- At its core, the story is about the undying loyalty between two best friends, even when they are separated due to external circumstances. Narm Charm at its finest.
- I can't hate a movie with an anthropomorphic fighter jet(?) voiced by Jason Isaacs in it.

I do understand why people dislike it, though. This is the only Pixar movie where I'd say it focuses more on the story than the characters; even after I watched Mr. Enter's review of Cars 2 a couple of times last year, the only part of the movie I really remembered was the plot twist, until this year. And a line in Collision of Worlds that goes something like: "I asked for a coffee and got my first cup of tea."

Heck, until this year, I couldn't even remember any of the new characters' names. I just got Cars 2 stuck in my system about a month ago, somehow.

The best way to describe Cars 2 is that it's the world's most brutal Saturday morning cartoon.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

WaluigiTime64

From what I remember of it, I liked Cars 2. I found it entertaining, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first movie. I'd like to watch it again and try to give a more informed opinion.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Nitro Indigo

I do agree with the majority that it's not a good sequel... at all. It's more like a weird expanded universe story.

I've also watched that airport chase so many times now that I've managed to nitpick it to death, ranging from major issues such as how the heck no-one notices four people trespassing on a runway, three of whom are using weapons, to the tiniest things, like how according to inter-movie Pixar logic, a toy horse (Bullseye from Toy Story 2) is faster than a beaten-up tow truck.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

You copy comments from TVTropes way too often. And Cars 2 is generally agreed to be pretty terrible. Hell, I hated the FIRST Cars.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Yeah, first cars was kind of lame.  Second cars was just generic spy movie formula but was not ironic in any way about it
unmotivated

braix

Quote from: braixen1264 on October 24, 2016, 06:10:55 AMAw Wolf Children was great. Watched it a few years back so I don't remember much besides the fact that it was sad, I might rewatch it soon.
I rewatched it today, that movie will never get old
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Nitro Indigo

I know that most people hate it... Now I'm feeling ashamed of myself again.

Anyhow...

I watched Wolf Children on a low-quality anime streaming website where it was squeezed to a 4:3 ratio back in 2014.

mikey

the LEGO Movie is my all-time favorite animated movie, beating out Emperor's New Groove when it came out.  It was also easily the best animated movie of 2014 (though it didn't have much competition)
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

The Lego Movie was good, but there are two animated films that came out in 2014 which are better in my opinion: When Marnie Was There and The Boxtrolls. It's worth noting that I also enjoyed Mr. Peabody and Sherman more than The Lego Movie, but I wouldn't say it's objectively better as I would with those other two.

Nitro Indigo

The LEGO Movie and How to Train Your Dragon 2 were the only animated films I watched in cinemas in 2014, since Big Hero 6 didn't come out here until 2015.

Also, even though I know that they're good, I feel bad that the How to Train Your Dragon films didn't leave much of an impression on me, though I do remember seeing them in cinemas. Rise of the Guardians was the first thing-that's-not-a-video-game that I genuinely loved.

Also, this animated movie binge-watching spree of mine hasn't gone off to a good start, because after watching the first two Toy Story films, I didn't feel like watching Monsters, Inc. (the third-oldest film in my disc pile), and I got bored about 40 minutes in to the commentary of Finding Nemo. I can't seem to watch any movie in one sitting.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 25, 2016, 08:16:35 AMThe Lego Movie was good, but there are two animated films that came out in 2014 which are better in my opinion: When Marnie Was There and The Boxtrolls. It's worth noting that I also enjoyed Mr. Peabody and Sherman more than The Lego Movie, but I wouldn't say it's objectively better as I would with those other two.
LEGO movie was the highest grossing animated film of 2014, and the 4th highest grossing film overall, getting beaten out by Mockingjay, Captian America 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy.  I would say LEGO movie is objectively better :P
It also has a score of 96% on RottenTomatoes.
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

I honestly went into The LEGO Movie knowing nothing about it other than the fact that the villain wanted to glue the universe together, and Batman was in it, both of which I had read in an issue of ONM from about 2013. I watched it in cinemas twice; the only other film I've seen in cinemas twice was Rise of the Guardians, though I'd like to watch Finding Dory again.

mikey

I watched guardians of the galaxy 5 times in theaters
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 25, 2016, 09:43:58 AMLEGO movie was the highest grossing animated film of 2014, and the 4th highest grossing film overall, getting beaten out by Mockingjay, Captian America 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy.  I would say LEGO movie is objectively better :P
It also has a score of 96% on RottenTomatoes.

Besides the Lego Movie, I hate all of the movies you mentioned haha. Also terrible movies make money all the time

mikey

yeah but it wasn't even particularly close.  iirc the next one was Big Hero 6 and that was, what, 8th highest grossing?  Terrible movies do make money, but the leaderboards of each year tend to be incredibly good movies- especially guardians of the galaxy, which finally proved that marvel can make anything with their name on it and people will still watch it.
unmotivated