News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Animated films

Started by Nitro Indigo, October 23, 2016, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

Hello, everybody! My internet name is Nitro Indigo, and recently I've been obsessed with animated films. In fact, I barely even watch live-action movies.

To start us off:
- In descending order, my favourite movies are Rise of the Guardians, Inside Out, Toy Story 2, and The LEGO Movie. I'll also defend Cars because no-one else wants to.
- I sort of want to watch Atlantis: The Lost Empire, knowing as little as possible, but it's really hard to come by, in the UK at least.
- Over the next week, I will be watching various animated movies, of varying degrees of quality.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Dude

I liked Howl's moving castle

I think that was the last movie I saw...

Nitro Indigo

The only Ghibli movies I've watched are Ponyo and about half of Wolf Children. Also, Howl's Moving Castle is based on a book. The more you know.

Also, Finding Dory comes out on Disney Movies Anywhere tomorrow! I'm not American, so I'll have to wait until November(!), but hopefully there'll be a Cars 3 teaser with it.
...I have faith in that movie, okay?
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

braix

Aw Wolf Children was great. Watched it a few years back so I don't remember much besides the fact that it was sad, I might rewatch it soon.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Sebastian

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on October 23, 2016, 02:18:51 PMInside Out
I thought that was a great movie. It's on my top 3 animated movies for sure.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on October 24, 2016, 01:57:41 AMThe only Ghibli movies I've watched are Ponyo and about half of Wolf Children. Also, Howl's Moving Castle is based on a book. The more you know.

It's true that Howl's Moving Castle is based on a book, but the stories are completely unrelated. I adore Miyazaki's adaptation, but the plot doesn't hold together at all compared to how smart the book is.

Also FYI Wolf Children isn't a Ghibli film lmao (I'm neurotic about Ghibli and own them all).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

Oops. I knew the animation in Wolf Children didn't look like what people describe as "Ghibli". I looked it up, and it was made by Madhouse (who also animated the opening FMV of Solatorobo) and Studio Chizu.

Anyhow, I just realised that most of the animated movies I'm planning on rewatching are by Pixar; since I'm watching them in order of release, the first non-Pixar movie I'll be watching this week is Flushed Away. I'm not rewatching every animated movie I own, mind, just the ones I have interest in rewatching, and for some reason the only Walt Disney Animation Studios movie I feel like watching at the moment is Meet the Robinsons.

Also, here's a list of all of the Pixar movies I don't own.
A Bug's Life (I watched it years ago, but for years all I could remember was the ladybug joke)
Up (I haven't seen it since it came out in the UK, for some reason)
Brave (Never seen it)
Monsters University (Saw the first 10 minutes or so through a Now TV rental)
The Good Dinosaur (Never seen it)
Finding Dory (Doesn't get a home release here until late next month)

I've watched the CinemaSins videos for all of the movies I listed that have one, though.

SlowPokemon

^Another mistake: Ghibli =/= Miyazaki. Miyazaki is the director of several Studio Ghibli films and, along with Isao Takahata, is a co-founder of the studio. In truth, while Miyazaki's films are more popular with a general mainstream audience, the films of Takahata are usually much more introspective and interesting from an intellectual perspective to me. There are also a handful of Ghibli films by other directors besides those two, but the only two that are really up to par with Miyazaki's and Takahata's works are Whisper of the Heart and When Marnie Was There. Not to say they aren't good films; the only weak Ghibli film is Tales from Earthsea, which is pretty terrible (and even that one boasts spectacular animation).

Oh, also, I thought The Good Dinosaur was better than Inside Out.

Nitro Indigo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 24, 2016, 07:50:25 AMTales from Earthsea

Oh, also, I thought The Good Dinosaur was better than Inside Out.
1) I've heard of the Earthsea book series, though I've never read it. Is it another In Name Only adaptation, or is it not an adaptation at all?

2) I will respect your opinion because I've never seen The Good Dinosaur, but that really surprised me. I never watched The Good Dinosaur because I saw no advertising for it anywhere. Incidentally, the only reason why I watched Inside Out is because Mr. Enter made a deviantART journal post about it, and I'm glad I did.

braix

I remember Flushed Away had a game for the GameCube, which I played the hell out of when I was younger. I never watched the movie though.
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Nitro Indigo

I don't remember Flushed Away all that well, since I haven't seen it for such a long time. Yay for surprises?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on October 24, 2016, 07:55:57 AM1) I've heard of the Earthsea book series, though I've never read it. Is it another In Name Only adaptation, or is it not an adaptation at all?

2) I will respect your opinion because I've never seen The Good Dinosaur, but that really surprised me. I never watched The Good Dinosaur because I saw no advertising for it anywhere. Incidentally, the only reason why I watched Inside Out is because Mr. Enter made a deviantART journal post about it, and I'm glad I did.

1) Tales from Earthsea is very similar to Howl's Moving Castle in that its plot has nothing to do with the books. It's different because the movie's plot is completely nonsensical and bad. Don't watch it.

2) I will say my opinion differed from a lot of others. I just generally thought it was a more emotionally moving movie without as many dumb jokes as Inside Out.

braix

Everyone loves Inside Out but I personally felt that it wasn't very immersing and really predictable. Not a huge fan but it's alright

Nitro Indigo

One thing I love about Inside Out - that not many people talk about - is when they're on the train, and Bing Bong can't tell opinions and facts apart. Bing Bong is YouTube.

Recently, I had a discussion with someone on Chicken Smoothie about how Pixar movies were more about the journey than the destination. Face it, the stories of Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and Inside Out are pretty barebones, but we love them because of the characters. I like to call that kind of story a Journey to Tolerate Each Other.
I also said on that thread that I liked Finding Dory because it was not only Dory and Hank's Journey to Tolerate Each Other, but also because it had a mystery aspect.
I just remembered the trope for this.

SlowPokemon

Finding Dory may have beaten out Ratatouille for my favorite Pixar film.