So as many of you know, NSM accepts submissions to the site through the NSM Panel: an automated bot used as quality-assurance to maintain a high level of quality and consistency. It's a really great system, and I have to commend Deku and the updaters for the past two years of outstanding & polished sheets!
That being said, it hasn't always been like this. For years, there wasn't this level of oversight, and so many sheets got on site that were of... questionable
quality. Go on the main site, click on any random sheet and I give you 50/50 odds that what you get isn't of very high quality.
Now, the NSM Panel does allow for replacement sheets to be submitted. But, a large problem is figuring out exactly which sheets are in dire need of replacing, and which ones are just fine. The layout of the site itself doesn't necessarily lend itself well to that...
Which is why I've spent a good 2 months now creating this:The Great NSM Audit
I have gone thought literally every single sheet on site, and checked for formatting errors. Anything that goes against what's in the Offical Formatting Guidelines
has been carefully documented to include any and all errors for a given sheet. My reasoning goes like this: if the formatting for a sheet is absolutely horrendous, then it's fairly certain that the music for that sheet will likely be as equally horrendous. Likewise, pristine-looking sheets will probably have pristine music as well, so there's no need to bother with them.
So, I've tried to make the table as easy to digest as possible, given the large amount of sheets that are contained within:
- All games are listed in alphabetical order
- Each sheet contains the following information: Name of the song, arranger, list of errors, and any other comments I'd like to add
- Anything highlighted in red is either a duplicate, corrupted, or I believe should go under a different game
- Here's a list of the errors that are listed in the sheet:
- Does the title of the sheet match the title given on site?
- Does the arranger of the sheet match the arranger listed on site?
- Is the title bolded & in quotation marks?
- Is the game title correct?
- Is the game title in italics?
- Is the composer and arranger text formatted the way it should be?
- Does the sheet contain a tempo marking?
- Does the sheet have at least one dynamic at the beginning of the song?
- Does the sheet have measure numbers?
- Does the sheet have the original publisher?
- Does the sheet have the copyright year?
- Does the sheet have the correct url? (http://NinSheetMusic.org/)
- If the sheet has more than one page, does it have "mini-titles" at the top of each page?
- Are these "mini-titles" in quotation marks?
- Plus a few incidental errors here and there
With the way I have the table set up, sheets with multiple errors "look" a lot bigger than those with very few errors. So ideally, it would be a lot easier to tell which sheets should be replaced right away, and which ones can wait a while.
At the moment, I figure this'll be a good way for people to see what songs need replacing. They can either choose to see whether or not a certain song is located in this list, or just simply to browse to find a song to replace. But, like the NSM Data Table before this, I'd like for this to be as useful to as many people as possible. So if anyone has any thoughts/concerns/suggestions, please let me know. It's also worth noting that the updaters know nothing about this, so please don't bother them about it.