News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

AmpharosAndy's Compositions (Monster Hunter Style)

Started by AmpharosAndy, October 04, 2016, 07:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmpharosAndy

I got into music by playing NSM sheets of my favourite video game songs and composing my own little ditties in similar styles. I'm now an aspiring composer who enjoys occasionally doing film/game music. If people enjoy it, I'll keep you all updated from here/my youtube channel.

Let me know what you think of my most recent thingy:
innit

InsigTurtle

I like that tribal, almost primitive drive going on in it, with all that shifting meters and such

AmpharosAndy

Thank you, InsigTurtle. It's finding that balance between complexity and being follow-able that I was really looking for, whilst sounding good too XD 
innit

AmpharosAndy

Here's a bit more of a videogame-style piece. It's supposed to fit with the picture so let me know if you think it does! :D Check out my other stuff if you do like it ;)
innit

AmpharosAndy

Attempted some electronic dubstep musics a little while ago. Let me know what you think! :D

EDIT: deleted video
innit

AmpharosAndy

Symphonic Images No. 3: Pining. This time based on angsty teenage break up emotions and stuff! Check it out.

innit

AmpharosAndy

Had a go at what sounds like a snowy level. Link below

innit

AmpharosAndy

Sad Theme!

innit

AmpharosAndy

Short Christmassy Jazz Jingle!!

innit

AmpharosAndy

More Electronic stuff from me!

innit

AmpharosAndy

What? Even more dubs??? Apparently so...
Introspection - Andrew Mulhern (cheers braix)
Please tell me why you do or do not like it XD Always helps - especially critiques.

Also do you like my shoe?
innit

daj

Took a listen of your Symphonic Images No. 3! It sounds...strangely reminiscent of ambient soundscapes. I enjoy how your melodies float about and don't resolve - it's really good for background listening, and I can imagine it being really nice for a quiet stage/forest city of some sorts ^^

I think the problem with looping ambient tracks like this is that people tend to space out and stop listening after some time - personally I started spacing out after around the second minute, and only when the rhythm shifted around the 4-minute mark I started listening again. If that was your goal, then well done! ^^ If not, consider doing some "evolving pads" - in an orchestra setting that means the gradual build-up of texture.

I do, however, really enjoy your orchestration. Long string chords remind me of Sibelius, and the whole nature mysticism thingy. The difference is that Sibelius had melodies and progression, but y'know. It's a different style of music, I presume ^^

Overall though, well done! Interesting harmonies, fun sounds. I'll be checking out more of your stuff soon :)

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: daj on March 17, 2017, 08:13:33 AMI think the problem with looping ambient tracks like this is that people tend to space out and stop listening after some time - personally I started spacing out after around the second minute, and only when the rhythm shifted around the 4-minute mark I started listening again. If that was your goal, then well done!
Dude, I space out every time I listen to this XD Kind of intentional, kind of not ;)

I agree with everything you said, as it seems you've got the gist. It's great to have a non-biased opinion for a change. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and also tell me about it! (Your arrangement competition piece was awesome too - probably shouldn't delve into details as a judge but hey ho).
innit

AmpharosAndy

Just realised I never put I link to my fanfare up here (other than my current sig) so:

This is my first somewhat successful piece that I've written and it was written around this time last year. Let me know what you think haha :)
innit

AmpharosAndy

Gears of War style composition I did because I was listening to the OST too much XD

innit