News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Lkjhgfdsa_77's Beautiful Arrangements - 8th Day of Hanukkah - Minish Cap Sheets

Started by Lkjhgfdsa_77, September 30, 2016, 05:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which obscure game should I arrange every track from?

Snakebird (9 tracks)
Oceanhorn (27 tracks)
Ōkami [Okami] (186 tracks) (have mercy)
Radiant Historia (25 tracks)
Other (reply)

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged Mini-Boss for the Wind Waker Arrangement Project. Between the melody, strummed string harmonies, and bassline, there weren't many problems with the arranging. However, when the strummed strings drop out at 0:39 (m29), it seems a little bland and a replacement "filler" would be nice. In addition, the lower countermelody at 0:56 (m41) seems too low and it sounds odd when put at the same octave as the higher part. At the same spot, I wanted to distinguish the Cb Minor scale after the C Major rise four measures before, which lands on its diminished fifth / augmented fourth (F#/Gb) but there was already a Fn right before... I ended up using a double flat (as well as Cb) and if there's a better way to do it let me know. As always there are some minor formatting errors (as well as my slide notation... do people do that?) as well as a lack of a better way to let the performer know that the dotted eighth / sixteenth (dotted quaver / semiquaver) is meant to be played softer than the melody. Note that I didn't arrange the string hits in the repeat under the impression that they just happen when Link hits an enemy; if I should add them in let me know.

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on September 30, 2016, 05:22:54 PM
Mini-Boss||The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
78%, not sure if I should arrange a part but it's good to go.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77
Arr | Tran | LiPo | Intro | YT | Blog

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Used the latest version of NASF and updated files of Sealed Grounds, Legend of Skyloft, and Inside Forest Haven with better formatting, namely 8vas and clef changes. Because I'm a perfectionist I didn't put the lower 8vas in because I would prefer a 8vb mark; to me it's much more clear as to what to do. Sealed Grounds is also complete in notes terms.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

ThatHiddenCharacter

I see that Lanayru Desert from Skyward Sword has an LDA of 90. Can I take it over for you? I kind of want to do it, but not if you want to keep doing it.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 29, 2017, 02:18:11 PMI see that Lanayru Desert from Skyward Sword has an LDA of 90. Can I take it over for you? I kind of want to do it, but not if you want to keep doing it.
Sure. I haven't worked on it in forever and I don't plan on doing anything with it.

Arranged Issun's Theme from Ōkami [Okami]. This one was fairly short and had the same left-hand pattern for the entire track, so it didn't take very long. However, I came across a small problem when adding the melody to the arrangement - the off-beats played by the right hand are too far away from the other parts to not have any insane jumping. I placed this section on the left hand with a bunch of clef changes for now. In addition, the first phrase of the melody is first played by an xylophone but is played with a plucked string in repeats. I notated the mezzo piano and tremolo to be played the first time only, as these articulations more closely replicate the sound of the xylophone. If I should write it again at the end with the different articulation and keep it completely faithful to the original, let me know.

Issun's Theme||Ōkami [Okami]
80%, possible fixes but very polished.mid.pdf

Spent a bit of time getting Main Theme from Four Swords Adventures up to submission quality. I looked over all of the harmonies, added an 8va, added a part, and tried to figure out the middle trumpet voice to work. Will likely need a bit more work but it's fine now.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged Queen Rutela from Twilight Princess. This one is already on the site, but the left hand is inaccurate to the original. Because of it's short length and simplicity of notes, it was a very quick arrangement to make. The last measure is stretched out over an entire system, but other than that it's well formatted. My reference .mp3 didn't have the intro present in the YouTube video; if that's how it's played in-game I'll add it later.

Queen Rutela||The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
80%, aside from measure strecthing it's fine.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged Village of the Blue Maiden from Four Swords Adventures. Four Swords Adventures tends to reuse a lot of earlier Zelda music, especially from A Link to the Past, and this is no different - it's the standard Kakariko Village theme in a minor key. Before m16 there aren't too many voices and I'm able to fit everything in two hands. m16 adds two new voices, the low and high strings. Here I notate everything, and give performance suggestions for those who want to either forgo or play the high strings. This continues through m29. Starting in m30 there are three voices, the high and low string as sell as a barely-audible high xylophone. Everything can be easily played and the last four measures are just a transition to the first section. Because of the amount of notation that I put into the middle of the staff there's a lot of clashing, but it could all be fixed by adding some space in between the staves.

Village of the Blue Maiden||The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
78%, very messy but some staff spacing will make it fine.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

mikey

unmotivated

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Gave some attention to Legend of Skyloft. I halved the note values in the first section, which better reflects the beat of the track. I also added in the captioning in the prologue as text along with measure numbers for future reference. There's still way too much space in between the staves but NotePad can't fix that.

Arranged Mirror of Twilight Completed from Twilight Princess. Due to it's short length and simple notes, this was probably my quickest arrangement to make. All of the formatting that needed to be done (i.e. treble clef on both hands and an 8va on the right hand) was able to be done through NASF, and because it was in 4/4 I was able to use the copy of Lanayru Sand Sea which had four measures per system.

Mirror of Twilight Completed||The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
85%, little formatting errors; short and complete.mid.pdf

Started Beach Theme (Land) from Super Mario 3D Land. This one started out easy and got progressively more difficult to arrange. The first time the melody is played, only the bass and itself are played. However, on the repeat, two new parts are added - an offbeat and a countermelody. These are both in the treble clef and I couldn't find a way to give one to the left hand without sacrificing the bassline. When I arrange, I like to include every voice that I can find and then take out parts that are either unnecessary or impossible to play. I'll likely continue doing this until I find a better option.

Beach Theme (Land)||Super Mario 3D World
45%, playability issues, incomplete.mid.pdf

Started Fire Sanctuary from Skyward Sword. The vast majority of the main voices in this piece are some form of percussion, so I used a bunch of articulations to show the different voices in the piece. The percussion luckily has a semi-discernible key (mostly "Bb"s),which eliminated my main problem when arranging this piece. This piece also shares a problem with Village of the Blue Maiden and Beach Theme - it has a section that plays once at the beginning and repeats again with one too many parts to be considered playable. Because the other "tonal" voices carry more "information" than the percussion, I will likely remove the percussion. As to why I am not writing in the string hits and supplementary percussion in the YouTube video - the .mp3 that I am using starts off with what you hear on the arrangement and adds parts as the song repeats. (This also happens in the "Ancient Lanayru" (Lanayru Sand Sea) track.) If the updaters have any preference of which version to use, let me know.

Fire Sanctuary||The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
40%, percussion is "fun".mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Latios212

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on April 30, 2017, 10:03:25 AMStarted Beach Theme (Land) from Super Mario 3D Land. This one started out easy and got progressively more difficult to arrange. The first time the melody is played, only the bass and itself are played. However, on the repeat, two new parts are added - an offbeat and a countermelody. These are both in the treble clef and I couldn't find a way to give one to the left hand without sacrificing the bassline. When I arrange, I like to include every voice that I can find and then take out parts that are either unnecessary or impossible to play. I'll likely continue doing this until I find a better option.
I arranged this theme as well some time ago (if you wanna check it out, it's on my thread) and decided to forego the offbeat harmonies and include the countermelody only in the gaps of the main melody. Trying to include those harmonies makes it significantly more difficult and messy-looking (not to mention some dissonant intervals), and I think simplicity would work better for this song. Including the countermelody when it went over the main melody obscured the main melody a little bit which I had mixed feelings about. All that said, my arrangement is relatively old and I haven't thought about it in a while, and what you do with yours is ultimately up to you. Good start.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Quote from: Latios212 on April 30, 2017, 10:13:28 AMI arranged this theme as well some time ago (if you wanna check it out, it's on my thread) and decided to forego the offbeat harmonies and include the countermelody only in the gaps of the main melody. Trying to include those harmonies makes it significantly more difficult and messy-looking (not to mention some dissonant intervals), and I think simplicity would work better for this song. Including the countermelody when it went over the main melody obscured the main melody a little bit which I had mixed feelings about. All that said, my arrangement is relatively old and I haven't thought about it in a while, and what you do with yours is ultimately up to you. Good start.

I thought I checked that no one arranged this one before... oh well. I added in the offbeats just for the sake of having them for reference. I will likely take them out for both the playability and harmonic reasons. However, the countermelody does seem important because it distinguishes the first and second repeats of the melody, and I will likely keep the countermelody's harmonics in m17-18 because they add more harmonic "flavor" and are relatively easy to play. Thanks for the feedback!
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Latios212

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on April 30, 2017, 10:36:03 AMI will likely keep the countermelody's harmonics in m17-18 because they add more harmonic "flavor" and are relatively easy to play. Thanks for the feedback!
Yep, that's definitely a good idea, looking back. No problem!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged A Wolf in Ordon (A Beast in the Village) from Twilight Princess. This one is a more ambient and dark version of the Ordon Village theme, and relies heavily on percussive instruments to keep the track going. To keep these instruments in, I approximated a pitch and wrote in an appropriate percussion instrument so a performer could either play the written not on the piano or use an actual percussion instrument. For some reason I only wrote in the maraca shakes in the odd measures as cross notes, which I may or may not change to match everything else. The rest of the track (strings) was fairly straightforward, but they seemed to go very low in the treble clef. Instead of writing out some repeats I went for a more compact notation, and a D.C. is used at the end.

A Wolf in Ordon||The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
75%, a couple of ambiguities and system issues but is polished.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged Caves from Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. Being a song produced on a Game Boy, the notes were very clear and the harmonies were easy to pick out. In addition, it was very short and didn't have a lot of notes to begin with. The piece does have a 3/4 and 2/4 section, so I split it into two parts and formatted them so that if they were together, they would play as intended.

Caves (pt 1)||The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages
80%; is currently two parts but is otherwise fine.mid.pdf
Caves (pt 2)||The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages
" "
"          ".mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Taking a leaf from Zeta's fabulous arrangement, I decided to arrange the three sound effects found in chrome://dino/, better known as the "Chrome no-Internet game." The hardest part of arranging this one was carefully finding the correct tempo of the repeated notes in the second and third effects. I used Audacity to measure their lengths and came up with 214 beats per minute. I would ideally have each of the sound effects on their own line (or separated by a double bar or ending double bar) like other effect compilations and there be no extra rest space at the end (2/4 was the shortest time signature with an NSM template), but what I have now is fine. As for the name of the game, the address chrome://dino/ will always link to the no-Internet page regardless of actual connection status, and for lack of an official name I used that.

Sound Effects||chrome://dino/
85%; maybe a bit of formatting work but very short and complete.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Arranged Coo the Owl from Kirby's Dream Land 2. Even though the entire left hand ended up being almost unplayable due to its speed (sixteenth notes (semiquavers) in 98 bpm cut time), I still finished arranging the piece. In the first section (m1 - 4) I was able to fit all of the voices in, but in the first repeated section (m5 - 12) I didn't notate the low bass in favor of the more prominent arpeggio. The arpeggio is gone starting at m13, so I was able to include the bass. I wasn't able to hear a lot of the bass at m19, so I just put down what I could hear.

Coo the Owl||Kirby's Dream Land 2
70%, maybe look over a couple of sections and notation.mid.pdf
- Lkjhgfdsa_77