[DELETED] [NDS] Pokémon Black Version & Pokémon White Version - "Entralink" by Gamma-Ray

Started by Zeta, September 17, 2016, 05:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Black Version & Pokémon White Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Entralink
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Gamma-Ray

cashwarrior1

Latios212

Hi! Welcome to... (checks join date) the NSM Submissions process! First of all, thanks for putting effort into the formatting. I'll get to checking notes closely and polishing up the look a little later, but it looks like you've got a solid sheet. Here are some things to get you started that you can fix with Notepad:
- Slur grace note to the note that follows it in measure 7.
- Throughout 9-18 you have a lot of eighth rests in layer 1. If you have two consecutive eighth rests that fall on the on-beat and off-beat, you can condense them into a quarter rest. (So beat 3 of 9, beat 1 of 10, and so on.)
- I also don't hear the C in the melody in 11 and 13. I'd write the D as a quarter note in 9, 11, and so on.
- Missing the grace note in 15 (like you have in 7).
- I'd recommend writing out two quarter rests instead of half rests for the second section.
- I would try and move the eighth note run in 19-20 up to the RH and leave the triads in the LH to better reflect the original and continue the part distribution you have preceding it; though I haven't actually tried this yet, it's just a suggestion as for something to try.
- I'd suggest extending the slur from 25 to 28 (to cover the tied note).
Overall, yes, solid work.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 17, 2016, 05:24:18 AMInB4Latios
Rats, I was at work. But cool that you posted the PocketMonstersMusic video. It's the best and most reliable channel for Pokémon music.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Gamma-Ray

QuoteSlur grace note to the note that follows it in measure 7.
- Throughout 9-18 you have a lot of eighth rests in layer 1. If you have two consecutive eighth rests that fall on the on-beat and off-beat, you can condense them into a quarter rest. (So beat 3 of 9, beat 1 of 10, and so on.)
- I also don't hear the C in the melody in 11 and 13. I'd write the D as a quarter note in 9, 11, and so on.
- Missing the grace note in 15 (like you have in 7).
- I'd recommend writing out two quarter rests instead of half rests for the second section.
Totally agree with that, fixed. But i am using MuseScore (my Notepad version can't even edit grace notes), so I will only be updating the PDF for now, if that's okay.

QuoteI would try and move the eighth note run in 19-20 up to the RH and leave the triads in the LH to better reflect the original and continue the part distribution you have preceding it; though I haven't actually tried this yet, it's just a suggestion as for something to try.
Seems like a logical voice distribution and doesn't sound too bad that way. I think the most "accurate" way to describe the original would be to leave the eighth notes in 19 in the LH and then RH in 20 starting from F#''. Although that would obviously "ruin" the aesthetics, so I don't know which way to go there.

QuoteI'd suggest extending the slur from 25 to 28 (to cover the tied note).
Fixed that in the PDF created based on the MuseScore sheet, since I had to compress some bars which put 25-28 in one system. I don't think that is technically possible on the .mus file though, so I'll have to re-import XML again.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, i'll update MIDI and MUS when the basic stuff is fixed.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Duude, nice.
Since you've been so kind as to work on the formatting & presentation of the sheet, I'm gonna fix up your MUS file for you and make it all nice and shiny <3

Full formatting diagnostic below:

- Hid unnecessary rests and compounded some necessary ones
- Standardized the measures per system to 6, allowing for a one page sheet that's still readable (6 systems of 6 bars each), and standardized the measure width.
- More of a music related thing, but I changed your BPM to 120, a BPM most metronomes use (most will not go up by 2s, thus making 122 BPM a "false" bpm if you will; mostly just created by computer generation). I also added a musical marking, "eroica", meaning heroically. You can change it if you wish, I just think that a quality arrangement like this
- M. 35: I made the two voices separate notes, so that it's clear that the lower voice, while the same note, isn't also an e natural. I'm not entirely confident with the way this came out, so if you don't like it, I can switch it back for you.
- I realigned a lot of your text after messing with the document. Everything is now where it should be on the MUS as well.
- Another music thing: I made your half note rests quarter note rests, to show the triple meter.

Some arranging thoughts:
- Make sure all your notes are as accurate as you can make them (we can't all be always 100% accurate, but try to get as close as possible!).
- The opening passagework in the RH is actually polyphonic & intervalic rather than monophonic.

New MUS file here.
what is shitpost

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Gamma-Ray

QuoteFull formatting diagnostic below:
[...]
Thank you so much for the suggestions and helping with the format!
Regarding the RH opening, the second voice is mostly a fourth below i assume? Would it be necessary to include it?
And yes, this sheet is not quite accurate to the original, but i think the LH triads serve as a good enough accompaniment. (If there are other inaccuracies, let me know.)

I'd update the new MUS files with the other changes Latios suggested that i already implemented in the PDF (such as the grace note in M.15), but unfortunately my Notepad can't edit grace notes. I'd also like to hear another opinion on how to handle the eigth notes in M.19-20 (see also Latios' comments on these).

Quoteholy crap this song brings back so many memories ;u;
Same here! This is definitely one of my favourite songs of the soundtrack, has that certain mysterious feeling to it that was unique to B/W.

Maelstrom

#1 - Use a Finale PDF. I don't care if you don't like that, but it keeps all sheets looking somewhat consistent on the site.
#2 - Collisions: These should not be there. Move rests, dynamics, and the like away from anything else. But not too far.
#3 - M25 RH needs realigned 2nd layer notes. Delete them and re-enter
#4 - Uhh, your URL seems to be off a bit....

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

The 2 month mark is upon us. Deleted for inactivity. Feel free to resub with the changes.