Nocturne's Nuggets of Knowledge

Started by mikey, September 01, 2016, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 28, 2016, 05:39:28 PMMost of them are derived from actual vulgarities from other older languages
For reference: http://www.businessinsider.com/swear-word-origins-2013-12
Which, after undergoing centuries (if not millenia) of evolution, you would think would be somewhat irrelevant by now.

On an actually serious note, if you can only use swears to emphasize your point instead of any other word, it's probably a sign of lack of intelligence. That said, the idea that swearing in general is morally bad or something to be avoided is utter horseshite.
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

Oh no I'm completely pro-swearing, I just think that it gets less effective the more often you do it. Like if you say "fuck" one time during your argument, that one time becomes "holy shit he's really serious." But if it's every other word it just sounds dumb and immature.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

There are better ways to articulate your argument without resorting to words that make you sound childish, unrefined, or lacking self control.
unmotivated

daj

Advocating for curse words all the way! ^^ Swear words are actually literary devices! :D

It's a dysphemism! That's the opposite of a euphemism. It's a device used to over-exaggerate words. The example that vsauce video gave was: "a dog pooped on my lawn" vs "there's a pile of dog shit on my lawn". Dog shit sounds more yuck than poop and incites a bigger emotional response ;)

Nerdistry! :D

*runs and hides*

EFitTrainr

I like food.

mikey

unmotivated

Sir Dino

fuck Nocturne, u got your own fortune cookie shop here, read my fortune plz thx

Tobbeh99

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 27, 2016, 10:58:30 PM"Curse words are a lazy substitute for effective communication".

I like to use curse words at time. But mostly when I really want to make a really clear statement, not when I'm having a discussion. But some people overuse them, and then it just sounds bad.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Quote from: Sir Dino on September 29, 2016, 12:10:23 AMfuck Nocturne, u got your own fortune cookie shop here, read my fortune plz thx
You will soon find an opportunity to reconnect with an old friend
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 29, 2016, 07:11:07 AMYou will soon find an opportunity to reconnect with an old friend
it's spooky how accurate this ended up being

"Assigning fault is a waste of time that can be used to procure a solution."
unmotivated

Oronoco

I really like that. Wise people never seem to worry about past decisions that may have gone wrong.

It makes me remember not to blame myself sometimes, too.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

mikey

"'Don't double down on dumb.'"
-Attributed to Brian Braun-Duin
unmotivated

EFitTrainr

I like food.

mikey

"Don't judge another's character by their appearance nor actions, but by their intent and desires."
unmotivated