News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Nocturne's Nuggets of Knowledge

Started by mikey, September 01, 2016, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

More like wisdom but I couldn't pass up some sweet alliteration.  Picture fortune cookies if fortune cookies gave you healthy living advice.  Also, this isn't an "of the day" thread.

"If someone's wrong, let them be wrong.  It's not worth the time or effort convincing them otherwise."
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

This should be fun. And inspirational.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

not inspirational- these aren't intended to be feel good quotes or anything.  Just good advice.
unmotivated

FireArrow

I dunno, I think you're advice is really dependant on context. If someone's just acting stupid then yeah, let them be stupid. You can learn a lot from having conversations and debates with people though, and I think avoiding dialogue because you perceive the other side to be dumb is well... just as dumb.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Dudeman

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between honest-to-goodness stupidity and differing opinions that each side interprets as "wrong."
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FireArrow

There's a slow a difference between your and you're that I was apperantly unaware of.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

That one didn't have much to do with opinions.  If someone is convinced that, say, broccoli is bad for you, it's not worth trying to convince them that's simply not true, because no matter what you say they'll continue to believe what they've learned on their own.

"When you don't feel like laughing is the best time to laugh."
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

JDMEK5

I feel like this is becoming one of those, "Let's all try to find a flaw or three with Noc's smarts he gave us today." lol Mind you I don't think I've ever seen it so organically done; meaning that given Noc is ok with it I could actually see this becoming a neat little game, strangely enough.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

mikey

Quote from: Dudeman on September 06, 2016, 03:42:50 PMFor instance, at a funeral.
plenty of laughter occurs at a funeral.  I know you're trying to be smart, but this example applies fully
unmotivated

Sebastian

I mean, there are times not to laugh at a funeral, but I do remember my grandma/mom/etc. laughing at odd times after my grandpa died.

mikey

I mean if someone's speech is pretty somber then sure it's not appropriate to burst out laughing but that's a courtesy thing, not an "I'm at a funeral no laughing" thing.  As sad as funerals can be, everyone tries their best to be jolly.
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Noc I both appreciate and enjoy these knowledge-sized bites. Pls keep doing them despite what the conversation does!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 07, 2016, 10:30:06 AMI mean if someone's speech is pretty somber then sure it's not appropriate to burst out laughing but that's a courtesy thing, not an "I'm at a funeral no laughing" thing.  As sad as funerals can be, everyone tries their best to be jolly.
You're dead on...no pun intended.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 07, 2016, 11:04:48 AMNoc I both appreciate and enjoy these knowledge-sized bites. Pls keep doing them despite what the conversation does!
I wholeheartedly agree. This is something I've been wanting for a while now. Not necessarily "feel-good" quotes, but rather brief bits of wisdom exactly like this topic. 
Good call, Noc. 👍