News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

What program do you use to make MIDIs?

Started by TNU2002, August 29, 2016, 02:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNU2002

Hi, I am new to making MIDIs. What is a free program I could use to make my own MIDIs in (preferably one that you can connect your keyboard to [using USB-MIDI])? I feel like there's a program out there somewhere that I could easily wrap my head around. If I could make my own, I won't have to request much anymore :)

PS: I have already tried "MidiEditor", but I don't think it's right for me.

Bespinben

Any music notation program will let you export a MIDI of your score. However, based on what you described, you'd be better off downloading a DAW.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

daj

Quote from: Bespinben on August 29, 2016, 02:53:10 PMAny music notation program will let you export a MIDI of your score. However, based on what you described, you'd be better off downloading a DAW.

Was confused when I first read your post, but now I got it - you wanna live record a part using a keyboard in MIDI form, right? ;)

I'll assume that for now ^^

Yup, you're probably looking for a DAW (digital audio workstation). A DAW can have virtual instruments which run on MIDI inputs (i.e. note entries) which you can record live and playback with the virtual sounds.

Alternatively, I know Sibelius has a half-functional setting which allows you to record live to a click into a score. Of course, things get a little weird on the rhythm side - 64th rests and whatelsenot (if you don't quantise). Not sure if Finale products have this, but it's a viable second option.

A good basic DAW is GarageBand (if you're using mac), because it eats MIDI inputs like any other DAW and also has a neat and accessible quantise function. If you're on a Windows...um, you might have to spend some cash. The Cubase series is pretty straightforward and comes with a decent synth. ^^ FL Studio's basic version (100 bucks I think) is probably pretty okay too, though it's not as intuitive as Cubase.

All the best!