[DELETED] [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - "Nuzleaf's House" (Replacement) by Bespinben

Started by Zeta, August 13, 2016, 06:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Nuzleaf's House
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bespinben

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Bespinben

The OST being only 8 measures on repeat, I decided to compose an original countermelody descant in an optional cadenza following the loop. Diminutive staff size on the cadenza has been placed to reinforce its separation from the original work. Based on multiple players feedback following my initial release of this arrangement on February 18, 2016, I have notated the main and optional sections of my sheet with the expectation that one will regularly apply and release the pedal; as such, I have omitted the notation of specific release points and staccato from the final version of my arrangement.

Since Finale is no DAW, here's what the final product should sound like:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/leafdad%20mix.mp3

Here's the OST:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/BGM_EVE_KONOHANANOIE.dspadpcm.flac
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Yo.
This is awesome. I especially love your composed part.

Excellent work! I'll be sure to print this sheet off and learn it. :P

Also, nice guitar sound.

Bespinben

Here's a poem a Reddit friend of mine wrote from Nuzleaf's POV:

All my life, I had seen
Every mountain, valley this world had for me
But coming here, to these plain old woods
I had never felt so free
Everywhere I traveled, everything unraveled
But soon, I felt something sting in me
Just what was I missing, just what was I lacking
Somewhere, I felt a hole deep in me
Then I stopped to take in
All the simpler things that I thought so foreign
Now, as a youngling, you'll think the same way
But someday soon, you'll be here, to stay

Tobbeh99

Nice and creative arrangement! I've only one concern. Mastersuperfan arranged this song before and made a clean and nice arrangement, your addition is more of an enhancement. And the point is that it feels kind of unfair to remove all the credit from Mastersuperfan and take all credit for yourself, a better way imo would be to write "arranged by Mastersuperfan & Bespinben". Because otherwise you could in theory edit a lot of sheets and put in a lot of fancy stuff, cadenzas and whatnot, and then take all the credit for yourself, which I don't think is that fair.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bespinben

While it is indeed my sole purpose in life to create a monopoly on all things PMD, what's going on here is in no way related to mastersuperfan. The way I have notated the first 8 measures is a product of evolution through feedback from those who have played it since its original unveiling (circa Feb 2016), not a product of copying mastersuperfan's notation and editing it.

The original way I had notated this had very specific timing requirements for the let-off on the keys, and also had both parts condensed into the bass clef in separate layers:

Compared with mastersuperfan's, it is objectively clear that the above is built on an entirely different, independent architecture:

Coincidentally, my experience playing it and those who also did universally did so using pedal apply/release at regular intervals, and therefore I concluded that, for my final revision I would omit the notation of specific release points and staccato, and use the notational technique (dating back to early romantic literature) of using a sustained 2nd layer voice to indicate the length of pedal application. As a result, what that yielded was what I have submitted NSM currently:

Sebastian

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 18, 2016, 12:43:14 PMNice and creative arrangement! I've only one concern. Mastersuperfan arranged this song before and made a clean and nice arrangement, your addition is more of an enhancement. And the point is that it feels kind of unfair to remove all the credit from Mastersuperfan and take all credit for yourself, a better way imo would be to write "arranged by Mastersuperfan & Bespinben". Because otherwise you could in theory edit a lot of sheets and put in a lot of fancy stuff, cadenzas and whatnot, and then take all the credit for yourself, which I don't think is that fair.
If BespinBen did use Mastersuperfan's arrangement, he would have first asked MSF to use it, and then secondly, he would have put MSF's name on it.

Altissimo

Is there really a need for the replacement though? The original is perfectly game-accurate, if sparse (though that's a consequence of the game and not of the arranger). I mean, yes, there is room to add if one chooses, but I really don't think that's fair to put such a sheet on site, because it seems to go against what NSM wants out of its sheets.

cashwarrior1

Altissimo

I don't actually know offhand what issues your arrangements might have had. Though this probably isn't the place to discuss your arrangements in detail, maybe we could talk more in your arrangements thread or something.

Bespinben

Aside from the heaviliy peer-reviewed engraving of the main section itself (which I'd argue merits replacement), NSM has always been accepting of self-composed cadences.

Example -- Tobbeh's LoZ: Oracle of Ages/Seasons "Sadness"
Spoiler
[close]

-- Baka94's Getsu Fuuma Den "Dungeon"
Spoiler
[close]

-- Brawler4Ever's Chrono Cross "Dream of the Shore of Another World"
Spoiler
[close]

-- PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon "Main Menu"
Spoiler
[close]

-- PKMN Gates to Infinity "The Carpenter of Post Town"
Spoiler
[close]

Mine just happens to be longer than 1-4 measures, hence why I have labeled it a cadenza.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Bespinben on August 18, 2016, 01:25:37 PMWhile it is indeed my sole purpose in life to create a monopoly on all things PMD, what's going on here is in no way related to mastersuperfan. The way I have notated the first 8 measures is a product of evolution through feedback from those who have played it since its original unveiling (circa Feb 2016), not a product of copying mastersuperfan's notation and editing it.

The original way I had notated this had very specific timing requirements for the let-off on the keys, and also had both parts condensed into the bass clef in separate layers:

Quote from: Sebastian on August 18, 2016, 01:29:42 PMIf BespinBen did use Mastersuperfan's arrangement, he would have first asked MSF to use it, and then secondly, he would have put MSF's name on it.

Quote from: Altissimo on August 18, 2016, 01:38:06 PMIs there really a need for the replacement though? The original is perfectly game-accurate, if sparse (though that's a consequence of the game and not of the arranger). I mean, yes, there is room to add if one chooses, but I really don't think that's fair to put such a sheet on site, because it seems to go against what NSM wants out of its sheets.

What does it matter if he did his own or if he used Mastersuperfan's, and how are you supposed to know that? I'm questioning the type of replacement. Even thought it says that for it a "challenge replacement" you have to make your own from scratch, and for a "Revisited replacement" you edited an arrangement by a lot. It's kind of hard to tell if you arranged it from scratch or not. I think a better idea for replacements would be to look at the changes, how much it differs from the one on site, because it's way easier to see, and it's what I usually look at. If you look at the first 8 measures of both arrangements, you'll see that they look very similar. And also if you look at the formatting (both are properly formatted according to the NSM standards). That's why I don't think it should be "challenge replacement", since the first 8 were fine, and your effort were mostly the ending cadenza which is not a part of the actual song.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 18, 2016, 03:01:15 PMWhat does it matter if he did his own or if he used Mastersuperfan's, and how are you supposed to know that?
Using someone else's arrangement as your own is plagiarism, so yes, it does matter.

Even if it "looks" similar doesn't matter. Why would you call an arrangement someone else's when it's yours? The sheets looking similar doesn't constitute a change in the type of replacement.

Tobbeh99

So if I take some guy's arrangement and edit it a bit, then it's still his arrangement, I'm guessing. But if I make a new arrangement but end up looking very similar to his arrangement... then it's my arrangement? Like what's the difference? It's basically 2 roads to the same result.

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

If I take some guy's birthday cake (that he mixed and baked himself), and I maybe add some frosting, make a smiley face imprint with cherries, or add some birthday candles, it's not really my birthday cake since I didn't make it. I just added some tweaks to it.

So, if I decided to make a birthday cake from scratch, mixed all the eggs, flour and whatnot, cover it with frosting, decorate it with cherries and birthday candles, and it happens to look exactly or similar to another person's birthday cake, why should I say that it's their's since I made it?