News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

daj's ~theoretically possible~ piano solos! :D

Started by daj, July 31, 2016, 12:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daj

please do not try these at home.

there's a whole bunch of deep stuff as to why i decided to do this, but i'm currently laughing at what i'm seeing on my screen because the whole writing process was filled with high and stupidity and stuff.

#1    Battle (Champion)!    Pokemon DPPt       Youtube Release (310716)
#2    Title Theme and Victory Theme    Overwatch       Youtube Release (131116)

daj

#1 - Battle (Champion)! (Pokemon DPPt)

I have no idea what I just did, but that was really fun. So dang fun.

Bespinben

I think this here is now my all-time favorite arrangement of yours to date. I'm always curious how people approach and re-interpret material that is inherently unfit for the mechanics of piano (pitch bends, long sustained tones, UNPITCHED PERCUSSION, etc.), and you've more than impressed me. Bravo.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

daj

Quote from: Bespinben on July 31, 2016, 03:00:24 AMI think this here is now my all-time favorite arrangement of yours to date. I'm always curious how people approach and re-interpret material that is inherently unfit for the mechanics of piano (pitch bends, long sustained tones, UNPITCHED PERCUSSION, etc.), and you've more than impressed me. Bravo.

Ahh, humbled. So, very humbled. <3

Thank you so much for your kind comment, glad you enjoyed it~ ^^

Erm, I might go a little more into detail about my take on rhythmic stuff once I do a few more of these, but in essence, the focus throughout the arranging process (strengthened by sugar and caffeine) was rhythmic pulse and forward momentum. A while before this I was going full-out electronic ambient, soooo...yeah. Rhythm was and still is really integral to the construction of a work, and for a piece like this is takes precedence before melodic texture. Yep, pretty much :)

Dekkadeci

Your video (at least the first some seconds of it that I caught) reminds me of my Galacta Knight piano transcription and how you need crazy fast hands just to nail the solo (how Jonny Atma pulls the solo off, then proceeds to perform his own solo on top of his original rearrangement here...he actually spends some seconds alternating hands in fast keyboard passages, that's how he pulls it off).

There are other piano arrangements of crazy fast VGM--there's a decent (but inaccurate) one of Super Meat Boy's "Battle of Little Slugger" in here, and yes, that's a human performer playing the fast notes.

...Stuff like this is probably why I don't tend to simplify the melody lines of my transcriptions--as long as someone who can play Liszt can pull it off, I'm convinced the transcription is playable. That I can't play Liszt or some of my own pieces at the correct speed doesn't help.

DocDoom2

Amazing job! It sounds so good that I want to try to play it! (but it'll probably kill my hands since I can barely even play the Entertainer :P)
Please note I use Musescore and transfer it into Finale Notepad, so formatting may be messed up and help would be appreciated.

E. Gadd Industries

Two thoughts:
1. I thought the song was awesome all the way through! XD for the first 25 measures, I thought the LH was a lot less menacing, even empty (comparatively speaking :P), and then the sheet got to m26. Sweet merciful crap. That went from 35 to 170 over the course of a transition between two measures XD
2. What would all of you do if, at some point,  you see a video I uploaded of me (successfully) performing this piece?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

FireArrow

Well good luck with that because I think even calling it 'theoretically posible" is a stretch.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Latios212

Well one thing you can do is play it at like 10 bpm and then speed the video up!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

Quote from: FireArrow on August 03, 2016, 12:10:59 PMWell good luck with that because I think even calling it 'theoretically posible" is a stretch.

Agrees. Is there even a pianist who could play those double-note sextuplets and septuplets in the beginning at 190 bpm!?

Quote from: Latios212 on August 03, 2016, 01:10:23 PMWell one thing you can do is play it at like 10 bpm and then speed the video up!

lol!
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Latios212 on August 03, 2016, 01:10:23 PMWell one thing you can do is play it at like 10 bpm and then speed the video up!
Shhhhhhh... That's what I was banking on...
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

daj

Ahh, thank you all for your comments <3 You're all amazing :)

Now to talk about some stuff, hehe:

Quote from: DocDoom2 on August 03, 2016, 07:54:47 AMAmazing job! It sounds so good that I want to try to play it! (but it'll probably kill my hands since I can barely even play the Entertainer :P)
Quote from: FireArrow on August 03, 2016, 12:10:59 PMWell good luck with that because I think even calling it 'theoretically posible" is a stretch.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 03, 2016, 02:01:20 PMAgrees. Is there even a pianist who could play those double-note sextuplets and septuplets in the beginning at 190 bpm!?

Some extra info! Hehe.

The score is designed only with these three conditions:
1. Only four parts can be active at any time.
2. The largest harmonic (play at the same time) interval is a major 9th (octave + another key).
3. You need nothing more than two hands and ten fingers to play everything.

So the main kind of "impossible device" here is that there's a flourish and melody in the same part, and while the harmonic intervals are okay, the flourishes go everywhere and you need to make insane leaps in split-second timings to catch the next melody-flourish dyad. Hehe.

Is this impossible? Not really. But it's far from Lisztian (Liszt actually intended to play his own etudes). It borders on unpianistic, actually, but it's still within the bounds of "theoretically possible" :)

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 03, 2016, 10:08:20 AMTwo thoughts:
1. I thought the song was awesome all the way through! XD for the first 25 measures, I thought the LH was a lot less menacing, even empty (comparatively speaking :P), and then the sheet got to m26. Sweet merciful crap. That went from 35 to 170 over the course of a transition between two measures XD

First of all thank you so much for that, you made my day and the days ahead <3

The opening should have sounded less intense, but the emptiness was a tiny compositional kinda-fault on my end.

The track uses open 5ths over triads but suggests G-sharp minor, and that makes it a little tough to score (complicated shit here haha). The left-hand accompaniment patten in that section is almost-exact, actually, so it's all open 5ths. The only way I suggested G-sharp minor was through those subtle middle-voice single-note tremolos in the right hand, hehe ^^

Quote2. What would all of you do if, at some point,  you see a video I uploaded of me (successfully) performing this piece?

Even if you pull this off using Latios' technique, I will instantly send two hundred bucks to your bank account haha. Is it possible? Yeah. But I assure you you'll still need to practice the score, and you'll need to practice it until you want to kill yourself and burn the sheet alive bwahahahahahahaha

That, and you become my instant hero! <3

~

Once again thank you for all your comments guys, love ya all :)

p.s.
Oh yes! I'll be doing another of these at some point in the next two months, hehe. I'm currently undecided on what sheet to...erm, make changes to, but if you've got ideas I'd really appreciate them! ^^ If you have a sheet that you want bastardised that'll be awesome too, it would be a cool collab <3

E. Gadd Industries

Do Super Mario Sunshine, I can provide you any sheet if it isn't already on-site
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

daj

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 03, 2016, 08:57:46 PMDo Super Mario Sunshine, I can provide you any sheet if it isn't already on-site

Hehe no need to be discrete ;)

Taking this to PMs, still taking suggestions~

daj

#2 - Title and Victory Themes (Overwatch)

This one involved a little bit of creativity and, sigh. Forced gaming. Of course I had to do it. Like, I just needed that footage. Oh well~

Enjoy, guys! ^^