The Official Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Project

Started by Latios212, July 16, 2016, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

Got the chance to pull a solid all-nighter. Started and finished another: Battle! (Giratina) - [MUS]
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dekkadeci

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 29, 2016, 12:58:03 AMGot the chance to pull a solid all-nighter. Started and finished another: Battle! (Giratina) - [MUS]
...This is one of those pieces where I don't want to check for 100% melodic, rhythmic, and harmonic accuracy (this piece is a purposeful mess and definitely appropriate for the ruler of the Distortion World).

With that being said, humans will probably play back the repeated Bars 75-77 as intended but the MIDI playback will not, and I've always thought that those bars are in C minor and not null-key-signature (I also believe that Bars 71-74 are in C minor overall, but the notation there looks bad in C minor for Bars 72 and 74). If you want the MIDI to match the sheet music, I recommend expanding Bars 75-77 so it takes up 6 bars instead of using repeat signs.

Latios212

Isn't the sheet great? ;D
Quote from: MaelstromI can only imagine the screams of piano teachers when 1 13 year old kid brings in the sheet and says "I want to play this"

Just popping in to say that changing the sheet for MIDI playback is silly. At NSM our endgame is sheet music that is meant to stand alone as a piece being performed, not .midi files. Plus with enough fiddling with repeats and invisible jumps in Finale software you can make anything play back the way you want to. (Check out Pokémon Black/White Route 2.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Quote from: Dekkadeci on October 29, 2016, 10:03:13 PMI've always thought that those bars are in C minor and not null-key-signature (I also believe that Bars 71-74 are in C minor overall, but the notation there looks bad in C minor for Bars 72 and 74).
I think an argument could be made for either open key or C minor but we did decide to go with C minor. Thank ye.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on October 29, 2016, 10:03:13 PMWith that being said, humans will probably play back the repeated Bars 75-77 as intended but the MIDI playback will not... If you want the MIDI to match the sheet music, I recommend expanding Bars 75-77 so it takes up 6 bars instead of using repeat signs.
To put it most bluntly, this is not going to happen. If I'm understanding you correctly, this reasoning would go to suggest that we should never use repeat signs within a piece because it will mess up the MIDI. I think that Finale correctly exports repeats into MIDI files anyways, but even if that wasn't the case, sheet quality/efficiency/accuracy/clarity should never never ever be sacrificed for playback or MIDI. It's like a golden rule, lol.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dekkadeci

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 29, 2016, 10:25:44 PMTo put it most bluntly, this is not going to happen. If I'm understanding you correctly, this reasoning would go to suggest that we should never use repeat signs within a piece because it will mess up the MIDI. I think that Finale correctly exports repeats into MIDI files anyways, but even if that wasn't the case, sheet quality/efficiency/accuracy/clarity should never never ever be sacrificed for playback or MIDI. It's like a golden rule, lol.
I believe this is where I'll need to agree to disagree. Coming from a classical music background, repeat signs are missed the second time around (and even the first time around) all the time. Therefore, I strongly lean towards writing out repeats if I believe they are mandatory, especially the second time around. (In my compositions, if I really don't want to write out repeats or convention says I need a repeat sign, I explicitly say that all repeats are mandatory.) I tend to write music so it is as unambiguous as possible, but wherever there is explicitly room for ambiguity, I make sure to leave those options open (such as allowed imprecision in articulation and freedom to put in your own dynamics).

I hope full Finale exports repeats into MIDI files as intended, because Finale Notepad playback definitely didn't after the Dal Segno. (Considering that Notepad playback got the ritardando right, there likely is a way to make it possible in full Finale in a way that Notepad understands and without needing to make it visible.)

Latios212

Ahem...
Quote from: Latios212 on October 29, 2016, 10:25:11 PMPlus with enough fiddling with repeats and invisible jumps in Finale software you can make anything play back the way you want to. (Check out Pokémon Black/White Route 2.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

AmpharosAndy

Didn't realise this project was going! I did the surfing one a while ago if you need it... The link is to my duet version but I've also got a simplified solo version in the back if necessary. I didn't jazz it up at all (unlike me) and I believe it stays very true to the original so enjoy! (PS. I am aware of the dodgy note in bar 43 and it has been sorted, I just haven't bothered to re-upload the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSridrEJR0M
innit

AmpharosAndy

Also re-jigged the Sandgem Town (Day) theme for two pianos and just about managed to squeeze all of the background stuff in! Link belooow....

https://youtu.be/TFEPoQyX-so
innit

Irresponsible Piano

By the way, I have a video which is an arrangement of route 209 (night) (duet) on youtube but I'm not sure how to upload it as a sheet. If anyone does find a way to do this please feel free to use it!

Altissimo

ok i havent worked on either of my claims in months and id like to them but i dont know if it will happen before the summer so they are back up for grabs if anyone wants em

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

AmpharosAndy

I don't see The Underground theme on the list so has someone already done it? I will take it if nobody has yet! Note that it may well be on there and I'm blind...
innit

Olimar12345

Shadoninja did a really good arrangement of it, its on his Tumblr.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!