The Great NSM Pokemon Adventure! [2016 REBOOT BOIS IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING]

Started by K-NiGhT, June 15, 2016, 11:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Jub3r7

Quote from: shadowkirby on September 24, 2016, 04:11:31 PMCAHPTER 1!!!!!!

It was an nidce day it teh wolrd of Poke mon

peple wert catch pokeyman and do battles!

it wAS fun

but then all of the suddent, an ebil TEMA ROCKT appears ou t of no where!!

they tri to stel picachew but pikachu KILLS THEM ALL

THE END

Chapter 2: Aftermath

Maybe they deserved it, maybe they didn't. All I know is that Team Rocket is gone now.

The post-mortem analysis of the bodies showed the usual signs of electrocution. Whether an electric shock is fatal or not depends on the path the electricity takes through the body, passing through the brain or heart; the high voltage is just an added bonus, indicated by seared flesh and missing fingers.

In the world of Pokémon, we catch and train these monsters for battle and for entertainment. Certain precautions are generally put in place to avoid incidents like this. For instance, dangerous Pokémon like Pikachu are generally not given out as a starter for new trainers. Pokémon like Charmander may seem dangerous but accidents involving the fire on its tail happen less frequently than you'd expect, with the only major incidents of arson taking place in the Johto region.

Also, to Professor Oak's credit, Pikachu's vulnerability to powerful ground type attacks and generally low defenses classify it as a weaker Pokémon, and to Pikachu's credit, it killed out of self defense. To Team Rocket's credit, Pikachu is still considered a rare Pokémon; this does not justify their actions but perhaps provides a motivation behind the recklessness that led to their death. Perhaps they would sell it to a high-paying Pikachu fan, expecting praise from their boss, or maybe it was just a personal vendetta of sorts.

On a slightly related note, the age for trainers to start out on their journey has been raised. The local trainer schools are federally funded so everyone has an opportunity to learn, but then the kids do not receive necessary practical experience from battling. Parents and other enthusiasts have circumvented this rule by entering their kids in tournaments like the battle tree that are technically legal, so preschoolers end up battling with fully evolved Pokémon against champion-level competition. Frankly, it's a little absurd. Other consequences I believe have arisen as a result of that night are a little more serious in nature. Criminal gangs tend not to take any threat lightly any more, going full out against even a single Rattata; common grunts taught how to counter FEAR strategies; small gangs using FE (fully evolved mons) rather than NFE like Zubat. The list goes on, with even Team Magma and Aqua devising weather teams and specific counters to each other in order to capture the attention of the public and influence political/environmental matters.

The world of Pokémon is different now. Just fighting wild mons in a random forest to get stronger won't put you above the rest. You can use breeding to get mons with high individual values, or spend a shiny nickel for a shiny bottlecap to max out a single statistic. You can then go to specific forests for specific mons to "SOS chain," whatever that means, or specific bounce houses, or eat specific lunches from the festival plaza to boost your effort values. All of this means you can then consider competing with everyone else - yes, even the preschoolers.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

daj

^ this is the most brilliant piece of literature I have read in a while. Bravo <3

mikey

unmotivated

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Dudeman

P L E A S E   W A I T . . . . . . Q U A L I T Y   T A K E S   T I M E . . . . . .
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm (should I change that to "I was"? I really don't want this to be a "was") legitimately excited for this! Any breath of life the Story Telling board gets is SUPER HYPE.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Jub3r7

Chapter 3: Something in the Horizon?!

Ever since the ultra-wormholes became a tourist destination, the competition started getting out of hand, to put it lightly!

Normally legendary Pokémon are banned from competitive tournaments - not because of the power difference between them and "regular" Pokémon, but due to the limited number of them found on each world (like Groudon, for example.) Pokémon like Dragonite may be somewhat rare but Dratini can be bred and raised fairly quickly with the advancement of technology; meanwhile, you might normally find 1 or 2 (at most) continent-shaping monsters slumbering deep in a dormant volcano. Access to so many different worlds has provided trainers with an indefinite amount of these legendaries, making them, well... more competition friendly.

At this point it might seem like an obvious question to ask - isn't that dangerous? Aren't these random trainers (or preschoolers for that matter) essentially harboring weapons of mass destruction? Well, technically yes, and technically no. Weapons aren't sentient - and neither are they predisposed to aiding humanity and the world in positive growth.

This is actually a bit of a complicated tangent as this delves into the realm of philosophy, poképolitics and history - but it is commonly held that the fact that the world hasn't completely fallen apart yet is indicative of some kind of restraint or balancing force (I recommend reading "Connections Between People and Pokémon: Not Quantifiable but Definitely Preventing the World from Falling Apart" by Hiroki Colress.) He notes that between earth, space, and time manipulating pocket monsters - which aren't just limited to legendaries, by the way - the world itself HAS to compensate whether via reality-distortion (if you're thinking distortion world, you're on the right track) or some other Pokémon or new energy form yet to be discovered. Z-Energy? Mega-evolution energy? Ultra worm hole energy? The energy from the connection between people and Pokémon? I'm being pedantic with that last one, but it's supposedly actually linked to the others I mentioned - even though having a high friendship or affection is not a requirement for using a Z-move or mega-evolving your Audino to get an extra powerful helping hand....

For those of you less familiar with Pokémon battles, helping hand's effectiveness won't increase even if a Pokémon's stats improve. Pokémon like Mega Audino, though they are very pretty, aren't the best at combat. There are in fact different tournaments that ban higher tiered Pokémon so that the "weaker" ones get a chance to shine in the competitive scene, but the world of Pokémon is a bit more complex (but still capitalistic) in that the usefulness of a mon isn't decided solely on their strength in battle. While Blastoise can put out fires with a powerful stream of water, Squirtle and Wartortle can fit in tighter spaces and shoot out more concentrated blasts of water. Tauros help hikers with trail maintenance to clear rocks and trees out of the way; many bird Pokémon that get outshined by the likes of Talonflame (or I guess hundreds of Lugia now) are still used to deliver packages around the region.

Some Pokémon even develop cultural significance in different regions - many shop keepers in the Kanto region consider it good fortune to keep a Meowth around - Pokémon connoisseurs in the Unova region have started recommending Eevee for nearly all younger children and beginning trainers ("because you have the potential to become anything! A very palatable choice and a cute partner, too!"). Pikachu used to be popular pretty much all over the world until the Team Rocket incident happened - in all honesty I think it was a bit overblown - but it would not surprise me at all if the deaths of Jesse, James, and Meowth were exaggerated in news reports to gain sympathy and support for the organization itself.

But anyway. Ultra wormhole tourism, and the introduction of legendaries as a common artifact in the competitive scene. Time travel was already a concern to many scientists before the legendaries were involved.... Just to list a few examples, some revived fossil Pokémon have a direct connection to the ancient past that can be harnessed as energy to widen space-time tears. Some psychic Pokémon not only "predict" the future (researchers suggest they are just really, really good at estimating simulations of the future) but there has been evidence of Baltoy used in ancient time-traveling technology. There has also been at least one reported incident of a Rotom opening a time-warp in the Kalos region [citation needed].

And now, many Dialga have been caught in pokéballs (an important distinction since Pokémon poaching is still technically illegal, though with many legal loopholes thanks to major corporations that "used" to be connected to Team Rocket before it "fell apart").... And a premium pokémon storage system that came out about 4 years ago literally handing out Celebi as a bonus to early customers.... All this led to the creation of the time traveling bureau (the email system is super confusing) and too many regulations for everyone to understand. Different parts of the organization are given the instructions for or details to specific functions of their job, while the higher ups just get vague notes and a list of people that work for them and when they are located. My current task is to inform the public [world 4yz:02018] that the world ISN'T going to fall apart despite everything going on - and that you're probably going to be fine, even when he... even when something new comes on the horizon.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

Jub3r7