News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

WaluigiTime64's Compositions: Generic Grass (Main) WAV

Started by WaluigiTime64, May 27, 2016, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaluigiTime64

Order up:

Original Composition:
 - Generic Lava (Castle Entrance): WAV

I had quite a bit of fun making this, mainly figuring out instrument combinations. I guessed that piano and chiptune would work out fine, but I didn't expect piano and celeste to go as well as it did.
Also a hint as to what's coming next: I made an arrangement of one of my first compositions.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

This isn't what I intended to post, but I just forgot about the other one:

Original Composition:
 - Flight of Freedom ~ Mystic Space: MP3

I'll explain the MP3 first. I tried to make it loop, but I couldn't without the audio being compressed, which annoyed me a lot, so I stopped bothering. I didn't want to post an unlooped song onto Soundcloud, so I decided to leave it as a downloadable MP3.

I don't think I could've made a cheesier title. It's "Another Random Battle Theme", except revamped. Now some parts sound so Touhou-esque it's hilarious, though I did put some synth instruments not used in Touhou songs, but that's because I wanted those sections to have a different feel. I also managed to get good reverb, which is a plus I guess. I spent the whole day working on this, so I hope it wasn't for nothing.

EDIT: I added a fade-out, so it no longer randomly cuts. Progress (~ish).
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

AmpharosAndy

Good stuff! I can really imagine flight of freedom as an intense battle theme in something like a sonic game. The jump at 1:32 is a bit too bizarre so maybe you could try a smoother transition like using a quick Dm chord to soften it? My only other issue is the drum at the start that reminds me of a typewriter, which is a tad overpowering in the mix.
innit

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on November 13, 2016, 06:02:43 AMGood stuff! I can really imagine flight of freedom as an intense battle theme in something like a sonic game.
Thanks!

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on November 13, 2016, 06:02:43 AMThe jump at 1:32 is a bit too bizarre so maybe you could try a smoother transition like using a quick Dm chord to soften it?
Wait, on the first or second beat?

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on November 13, 2016, 06:02:43 AMMy only other issue is the drum at the start that reminds me of a typewriter, which is a tad overpowering in the mix.
Yeah, I'll lower the volume on that.

AmpharosAndy

It's the sudden change in key and accompaniment, which are very unexpected. I think with a bit more of a bridge between the two sections, it'd flow a bit more smoothly. You need to prepare the E natural at the start of the new melody because it was flattened in the Gm chord before. Other than that, it's spot on, dood :D
innit

WaluigiTime64

I was working on fixing that up, but I got distracted. I'll get it done as soon as I can. First:

Original Composition:
 - Generic Grass (Main 3): WAV

Back to Soundcloud, because I actually looped it. The reason I did "Main 3" before "Main 2" is because I have other ideas for "Main 2", and this doesn't match any of them. I tried to make the Generic Grass motif still sound nice out of swing, except I could really only do it in this style, otherwise it wouldn't give the feel I wanted. It might be bit too simplistic, but that's fine for what the song is supposed to be. Also don't expect me to use accordions/bandoneons often.

WaluigiTime64

Sadly that other composition has moved down significantly in my terribly-arranged priority list:

Original Composition:
 - Generic Ice (Race): WAV

I've always wanted to make a full mix of this, but I could never get down the feel I wanted until now. It's a mix of light, cheery, heavy and above all else, panicky. This was hard to pull off. I think my instrument choice was better than it usually is, even if it isn't too much different from the usual.

AmpharosAndy

Woah! That one is fantastic! I can't think of much to criticise.... I think you've got the balance just right mix-wise and it's generally just really nice. Good stuffs!
innit

WaluigiTime64

Thanks, though I thought it needed a bass-boost that I was too lazy to add.

WaluigiTime64

I've also wanted to do this one for a long time:

Original Compositions:
 - Generic East (Main): WAV

I feel like my standards are getting too high for what I can manage. This is probably one of my best works (I think?), because at this stage my instrument choice has improved a lot (I think?). A lot more percussion in this song than usual, but it might be considered invasive. Personally I think it's fine, as it's a different style of mixing which isn't bad, but not necessarily better.

AmpharosAndy

I really like this one and it does sound pretty Asian to me. For future reference, when doing Asian stuff, use pentatonic scales and base your chords on those notes. For example when your bass part rises a semitone in the first bit from F sharp to G it doesn't fit with distinctive Asian scales so it doesn't sound like it too much. These are just petty things, though. It's very good on the whole :)
innit

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on December 02, 2016, 07:43:22 AMFor future reference, when doing Asian stuff, use pentatonic scales and base your chords on those notes. For example when your bass part rises a semitone in the first bit from F sharp to G it doesn't fit with distinctive Asian scales so it doesn't sound like it too much.
For the record, I composed the original song ages ago, and I felt like if I did anything to the bassline for this variant, it would sound too far off the original. It would be easy to make a variant which does follow the scale though. I might give it a shot at some point.

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on December 02, 2016, 07:43:22 AMThese are just petty things, though.
Nah, not really. Accuracy is at least somewhat important.

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on December 02, 2016, 07:43:22 AMIt's very good on the whole :)
Thanks!

Oronoco

I'm sorry I've never posted here, but it's so much fun to listen to all of your pieces. I like how you've categorized them, and it's fun to imagine what sort of game your compositions may accompany. They're excellent stylistically, and they are definitely improving the more you create.

Keep composing and I'll keep enjoying!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Oronoco on December 02, 2016, 08:35:08 PMI'm sorry I've never posted here, but it's so much fun to listen to all of your pieces. I like how you've categorized them, and it's fun to imagine what sort of game your compositions may accompany. They're excellent stylistically, and they are definitely improving the more you create.

Keep composing and I'll keep enjoying!
Oh wow. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it when I see improvement becoming noticeable.
I'll be doing this for a long time, so hopefully that will help with the improvement.

WaluigiTime64

Yet another one I've always wanted to mix:

Original Compositions:
 - Generic Ice (Main): WAV

I tried to mix N64 instruments with higher quality instruments in a way that didn't seem awkward. I hope that worked. I think this is my most "full"-sounding mix, next to Generic Ice (Race).

Also for some reason I was too stupid to figure out how to link automations to controls until this mix. Good going, me. At least I got to do a cool thing with the strings in the C section.