News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Piano Practice Tips

Started by Maelstrom, May 22, 2016, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Well, as everyone knows, I've been gone for a while, and am super out of practice with my piano skills.
Even before I left, I was getting really out of practice.
However, the time has come to be serious again. So, what kind of warm ups/thingies are recommended?
I honestly forget where to start in the whole technical practice side of things.
It's been a while, ok?
Also, I remember (and still have) trouble when doing two things with both hands that are quite different and have different rhythms, especially when the LH isn't that repetitive in a song. Are there any suggested exercises to help with that besides playing straight music?

cashwarrior1

I don't know much warm-ups (didn't know people used them) and I can't say "play music" as you said don't say that so... The only real way I got into playing two different rhythms well is by making up something. If you make up some warm ups (1) you can easily achieve exactly what you want, (2) you don't have to go searching for them, and (3) you can BECOME FAMOUS with "Maelstrom's thingies". Or you could not become famous, that's up to you.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 22, 2016, 01:36:35 PMWell, as everyone knows, I've been gone for a while, and am super out of practice with my piano skills.
Even before I left, I was getting really out of practice.
However, the time has come to be serious again. So, what kind of warm ups/thingies are recommended?
I honestly forget where to start in the whole technical practice side of things.
It's been a while, ok?
Also, I remember (and still have) trouble when doing two things with both hands that are quite different and have different rhythms, especially when the LH isn't that repetitive in a song. Are there any suggested exercises to help with that besides playing straight music?
You can waste a lot of time warming up; remember that a warm up is only to get your fingers moving.
That said, I highly recommend, if you're not playing things like this, to use scales and arpeggios as warm ups. You can also do some Bach little preludes, if you're into classical.
I'd also recommend going through your old repertoire and bring that back up to scratch.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 22, 2016, 01:54:46 PMYou can waste a lot of time warming up; remember that a warm up is only to get your fingers moving.
That said, I highly recommend, if you're not playing things like this, to use scales and arpeggios as warm ups. You can also do some Bach little preludes, if you're into classical.
I'd also recommend going through your old repertoire and bring that back up to scratch.
^This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I was also going to recommend a book called Hanon (Which also comes in a virtuosic edition) which has not only scales, but scale degree patterns and other tricky moves for the sake of getting used to them for whenever they may appear in a piece. It's an exercise in hand dexterity really.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Maelstrom

JDMEK5

It shouldn't necessarily be avoided. Depends on what you're interested. There's plenty in the vanilla version but if you think virtuoso is for you, go for it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

braix

I have hanon but it's ew to practice with stuff like that
im not a serious pianist k
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JDMEK5

Lol it is a bit trudging to go through, but very effective.

My Arrangements

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Hanon can be a waste of time depending on how much you do it, though. The point is to develop dexterity over time, not to play every exercise like a Chopin etude.
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 24, 2016, 07:41:52 AMIt shouldn't necessarily be avoided. Depends on what you're interested. There's plenty in the vanilla version but if you think virtuoso is for you, go for it.
I mean, what's the difference.

DS

I would just recommend finding sheet music of whatever songs you like and learning them. At least, that's how I did it after only having 1 year of piano lessons. And this is NinSheetMusic, right? Voila!

braix

What I do is play sheets that use new techniques, and keep playing those until I can do them.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 24, 2016, 08:33:52 AMI mean, what's the difference.
Well I've only seen the vanilla, so I'm not familiar with the virtuoso, but it seems to feature virtuosic moves such as a crapload of octaves and such.

My Arrangements

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 24, 2016, 12:20:07 PMWell I've only seen the vanilla, so I'm not familiar with the virtuoso, but it seems to feature virtuosic moves such as a crapload of octaves and such.
IIRC it's just two different titles.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

I would imagine that the content varies as well though. The stuff in the book I had (vanilla) wouldn't have counted as virtuosic.

My Arrangements