Quote of the Day

Started by shadowhunter301, April 30, 2016, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloop

Well, it kinda makes sense to jump to that conclusion. Like I said, from our point of view, we can see the sun spinning around the earth. There have been some individuals who believed the sun was the center, though, even before Galileo Galilei: Copernicus, Hypatia, and probably some more I don't know because I have not done that much research. At the time of Copernicus and Galilei, the reason why it was not accepted was mainly the church being stubborn and stuff.

E. Gadd Industries

Yeah, the Catholic Church saw it as advantageous to keep the general mindset simplistic so it could exercise absolute control over everything in an of the world. The second people started thinking for themselves, the second they realized that the church wasn't necessary as a mediator for God.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

That had to do more with the Age of Enlightenment, and people becoming more knowledgeable after the invention of the printing press. People before then never actually read the Bible unless you were a member of the clergy.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Quote from: shadowhunter301 on April 30, 2016, 10:42:58 AM"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."
Quote from: Bloop on April 30, 2016, 11:10:43 AMThe quote means "If you perceive something, then that's the truth."
You seem knowledgeable on the subject, but that isn't what I got from that at all. What I got was the following:
"To say something of something that it is not, or of what it is not while it is, is false, while to say something of something is while it is, and to say it is not what it is not, is true."
Which can be simplified to:
"If you attribute a status to something that it does not have, or contrarily accuse something of not having an attribute that it actually does, is false; but if you attribute a status to something that it does indeed have, and vice versa, that's true."
Essentially:
"If you make a mistake judging something, it's false; but if you judge something accurately/correctly, that's true."*
*Quotations added because I'm quoting myself
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dudeman

So...basically..."if you're wrong, you're wrong; but if you're right, you're right"?

Captain Obvious wants his job back. :P
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

JDMEK5

Quote from: Dudeman on April 30, 2016, 09:31:35 PMSo...basically..."if you're wrong, you're wrong; but if you're right, you're right"?
Exactly! Yes! I didn't want to say it like that myself cuz then everyone would've been like, "ur stoopid howdjue com up with thaht?" But that is literally exactly what I was was thinking.

Quote from: Dudeman on April 30, 2016, 09:31:35 PMCaptain Obvious wants his job back. :P
Yup, sorry buddy. I'm busy with my feet on your desk.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Bloop

There are a lot of different definitions for the verb "to be", and that's probably why Aristotle used that quote. In your case, "to be" has the definition of something being true, but in the example of geocentrism, "to be" means position or movement: to say something of something that is not (to say that the earth moves while we don't see or notice it moving), is false.

I personally think the "wrong is wrong, right is right" version of the quote is too simplified, because in some cases (like geocentrism), something that's wrong was accepted as right. At that time, everything that 'is' could be perceived in some way.
Sometimes, you can't actually know if something's right or wrong. An example for long ago is the geo- and heliocentrism, but for this time, examples are "Do aliens exist?" or "Does a higher being exist?". Aristotle's quote is so vague, that these questions can be answered with either "yes" or "no", if you interpret "to be" in another way.

(It's actually kinda hard to find the right words for this because I'm not at all a professional philosopher. forgive meeeeeeeee)

shadowhunter301

05/01/2016

"Teach self-denial and make its practice pleasure, and you can create for the world a destiny more sublime that ever issued from the brain of the wildest dreamer."

-Sir Walter Scott

JDMEK5

"If people weren't so selfish, the world would rock intensely."

My Arrangements

shadowhunter301

05/02/2016

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

– Robert Louis Stevenson

Bloop

My planted seeds and harvest are both the same anyway
I don't have either

E. Gadd Industries

...But if I plant mustard seeds and get watermelon, shouldn't I worry about what I'm reaping, too?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

We had an old topic for quote-sharing (of the same name), but it hasn't been active for a few years. However, I wanted to share this quote from 1984:

"What can you do ... against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?"
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

That, or feed them a churro and run into a conveniently-placed corn maze.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]