News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Time Sig Blues

Started by E. Gadd Industries, April 22, 2016, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

For a project in art history, I'm composing a song. Well, was. I kept getting a few measures in and end up dissatisfied as to how the song sounded. SO, I asked if I could do a ragtime version of a video game song, and when that was confirmed, I went ahead and chose my song: Shifty Boo Mansion. Two questions:
1. Is it "acceptable" to have a 3/4 rag (just a rag, not a rag waltz)?
2. If not, what are some tips on how to change the song from 3/4 to 4/4 (it isn't quick enough for cut) without annihilating the original theme of the song?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

Ragtime is in restricted to a certain meter. Scott Joplin wrote several waltzes in in a ragtime manner, for an example in 3/4 time. Bethena comes to mind.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheMarioPianist

Ah, writing songs in different time signatures. That's always fun to do! If you need any help with that, I'd be glad to assist or at least suggest some things. Now, to address your questions:
1. Uhhhh....I dunno on this one. I've never seen a normal rag done in 3/4, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't "acceptable." (Someone else weigh in on this, please?) [Edit: Thanks Olimar!]
2. Well, it depends what you mean by theme of the song. Writing it as a rag already kind of messes with that a little. If you're talking about keeping chord progressions and melody relatively the same, that's a different story. I'd kind of have to get a better understanding of how you want it to sound, and I could give you some pointers and/or examples once I get home to a computer.
Good luck with the project; this sounds like something I'll want to hear upon its completion!
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player