News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Electric Keyboards?

Started by Altissimo, April 11, 2016, 05:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

so im thinking about asking for an electric keyboard/piano/whateverthefuck for a graduating present. All I know is I want one with 88 keys but i know jack shit about keyboards, can anyone recommend me which ones are dabes

FallenPianist

I have a Yamaha Portable Grand, one of the older models (DGX-530). It sounds nice (with headphones) and the keys have a nice feel. I got it for pretty cheap too, but the best is to go out and try some and pick one you like.

Latios212

What are you planning to use it for? I have access to normal pianos (home and school) so I mostly have my keyboard in my room for arranging and testing things out while arranging. The keys aren't that weighted so it doesn't feel like enough like a normal piano (I wouldn't perform on it) but it's great for trying out certain parts of songs I'm arranging to see if they'd be viable to play. I have a Yamaha YPG-235 keyboard (76 keys) and it suits my needs just fine.

But if you're going to go all out on it you'll probably need a more expensive (and heavier) one haha
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

i want to play actual piano music lol. maybe arrange

Pianist Da Sootopolis

If you're looking to practice piano music (especially classical) you're going to need 88 keys, with a weighted and touch sensitive action; these start cheapest around $450.
I have the http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Series-P35B-88-Key-Digital/dp/B009CN8WZ6Yamaha P35, and it's okay for what it is; however, there are still definitely better keyboards out there. Newer Yamaha models especially.
You'll also likely have to buy a stand, which for anything actually decent can be another $50-$100.
Benches are also nice, but if you're on a budget you can make most any chair without armrests work.
what is shitpost

braix

If you're able to spend some money I'd invest in a keyboard with weighted keys. Otherwise you can get the cheaper ones, they don't feel very good to play but they still do work for casual playing.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

A keyboard with 88 keys is a heck of a lot more expensive than one with the 64 or whatever
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: braixen1264 on April 11, 2016, 07:04:33 PMIf you're able to spend some money I'd invest in a keyboard with weighted keys. Otherwise you can get the cheaper ones, they don't feel very good to play but they still do work for casual playing.
Moreover, they're actually somewhat bad for technique, in that you won't be able to build your touch at all, since they play at a universal volume. They do work, however, for harpsichordists and some organists, since the action of a harpsichord is somewhat akin and they have the same range.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 11, 2016, 07:05:06 PMA keyboard with 88 keys is a heck of a lot more expensive than one with the 64 or whatever
Yes, but with the 69 key keyboards you can't play anything past mid Beethoven.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Yamaha YPG-635 has 88 weighted keys. Feels nice and is rather affordable.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

Do they make a 1-octave portable keyboard? Because I know what I'm asking for for my birthday if they do!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

yes.  It's called a kiddie keyboard and often can replay "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" by itself.
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

-_- I was wanting to know if they made one so I could work on arranging on-the-go. Until my skill gets to where I can have a decent relative perfect pitch.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Ōkami~MD

Kawai electric pianos are AMAZING, and they are great from the cheapest model to the most expensive (I have played them). The more expensive ones have Ivory Feel to the keys and the keys are weighted like they are on an actual piano

They are also kawaii
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

braix

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on April 12, 2016, 05:35:39 AMDo they make a 1-octave portable keyboard? Because I know what I'm asking for for my birthday if they do!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/189-2881490-0476613?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=one+octave+keyboard
I don't see any here, but the other ones with more keys are still pretty cheap.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.