Series: Other
Game: Marble Madness
Console: ARCADE
Title: Beginner Race
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PetrifiedLasagna

[attachment deleted by admin]

PetrifiedLasagna

Horay, I finally found time to fixed this. Such a catchy tune, although I prefer the NES port for this song  ;D

cashwarrior1

The game over is a separate song, I don't know if it should be there.

PetrifiedLasagna

PetrifiedLasagna

Another update. I noticed that the beginning of each tremolo octave, until the end of what could be considered the first movement, is emphasized.

Sebastian

Hey, this arrangement is pretty solid!
I'll try and get some feedback on it later when I get back from class.

PetrifiedLasagna

Update. It turns out the song is actually in 2/4 time. The sheet is a little bit denser (all of the measure lines), but now the sheet is finally rid of that awful repeat in the middle of a measure. As for the key though, that is the closest I can get in terms of avoiding accidentals.

Quote from: Sebastian on April 15, 2016, 12:16:43 PMHey, this arrangement is pretty solid!

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I've got to be honest though, I stink at this game  :D

Sebastian

Quote from: Sebastian on April 15, 2016, 12:16:43 PMHey, this arrangement is pretty solid!
lol.....later turned into forever. Sorry xD

Anyway, here is some feedback.
I went ahead and made the changes for you to save you some time and wrote out an explanation of each mistake to help you learn for next time.
[MUS]
[PDF]
[MIDI]

What I did (I recommend thoroughly reading through this for future reference):

- The copyright info is not italicized, but rather just regular print. Also, a slash is required at the end of org. like this: http://ninsheetmusic.org/

- The correct BPM for this song is QN (Quarter Note) = 156. For the future, I would recommend using this tool to help you find the correct tempo.
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

- It would be much cleaner looking and less cramped if you have 5 measures per system.

- There were quite a few wrong notes that I managed to fix up, especially in the left hand. If you have trouble hearing lower notes or any notes in general, I would recommend a tool that slows down the song. This helps immensely when listening for the correct notes. Here is an easy-to-use online tool that I would recommend. It is very easy and helpful to use, not just for note hearing and slowing down songs, but also for easy, quick playback, and pause options:
https://www.tunetranscriber.com/

- I fixed M. 7 & 15 to yield more to the original.

- In M. 17, where you have the note about putting the left hand down an octave, you can just use an 8va sign; however, in this instance, you can just put the notes an octave lower. They are not low enough that they need an 8va sign.

- I went ahead and put in two extra key signatures to help out the performer. Not changing keys (in my opinion) would be confusing and the accidental spellings you did have in M. 17+ were very confusing.

- The left hand from M. 17-end is also somewhat wrong. I went ahead and updated that.

Other than that, great work! I hope to see more!
If there is anything you don't agree with, have a question about, or don't understand that I wrote above, please tell me  : )

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Sebastian on May 30, 2016, 11:53:31 AMlol.....later turned into forever. Sorry xD

That's Okay. Although after a few days I was like, "Ok then... :P"

If I remember correctly, this was the first song that I ever transcribed by ear, and if a remember remembering correctly (what?), then this original sheet was based largely on the NES version which I played. That would explain the note and tempo error (NES can only support certain BPM i.e. 150).

Quote from: Sebastian on May 30, 2016, 11:53:31 AM- I went ahead and put in two extra key signatures to help out the performer. Not changing keys (in my opinion) would be confusing and the accidental spellings you did have in M. 17+ were very confusing.

Hm, I always thought there was something wrong with that part. I know contemporary songs like to break key, but it just seemed off that it would have that many key breaking notes in a row. I am starting to get more familiar with recognizing key changes. One song that I have transcribed recently is the theme from Sky Kid, which I am almost certain has a key difference between the two movements. Speaking of which, I based that on the NES version as well, now I am going to have to check against the original.

Quote from: Sebastian on May 30, 2016, 11:53:31 AM- In M. 17, where you have the note about putting the left hand down an octave, you can just use an 8va sign; however, in this instance, you can just put the notes an octave lower. They are not low enough that they need an 8va sign.

This was in regards to playability. When I tried learning the song note for note (NES), I found it really difficult since there was a lot of overlapping with the treble and bass lines. Although, this does not seem to be present in the Arcade version.

All in all, thanks for the help, and thank you so much for the link to TuneTranscriber. I have been using audiostretch right now and, while it gets the job done, I was seriously considering creating my own program for the same purpose.

Sebastian

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 05, 2016, 12:38:17 PMThat's Okay. Although after a few days I was like, "Ok then... :P"
Haha, sorry again!

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 05, 2016, 12:38:17 PMIf I remember correctly, this was the first song that I ever transcribed by ear, and if a remember remembering correctly (what?), then this original sheet was based largely on the NES version which I played. That would explain the note and tempo error (NES can only support certain BPM i.e. 150).
Ah, ok. Makes sense.

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 05, 2016, 12:38:17 PMHm, I always thought there was something wrong with that part. I know contemporary songs like to break key, but it just seemed off that it would have that many key breaking notes in a row. I am starting to get more familiar with recognizing key changes. One song that I have transcribed recently is the theme from Sky Kid, which I am almost certain has a key difference between the two movements. Speaking of which, I based that on the NES version as well, now I am going to have to check against the original.
Can't wait to see that arrangement!

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 05, 2016, 12:38:17 PMThis was in regards to playability. When I tried learning the song note for note (NES), I found it really difficult since there was a lot of overlapping with the treble and bass lines. Although, this does not seem to be present in the Arcade version.
Oh, ok. I believe the version I have above shouldn't be too difficult to play.

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 05, 2016, 12:38:17 PMAll in all, thanks for the help, and thank you so much for the link to TuneTranscriber. I have been using audiostretch right now and, while it gets the job done, I was seriously considering creating my own program for the same purpose.
No problem! I hope that website helps you.

Something like TuneTranscriber would be very cool to add to NSM.....

Sebastian

I think this sheet is just about ready to go.
I just spot one tiny thing:
What do you think of having this measure like this?
Spoiler
[close]
I think it'd be much easier for the performer.

PetrifiedLasagna

(Bass cleff cutoff?)

Yeah I think that would be a good idea, although it would look a lot better with an 8vb. I am also thinking of adding a repeat for the whole first section since they are identical.

I kind of wonder why MakeMusic didn't add some kind of attribute to distinguish 8va and 8vb in MusicXML  ???

Also, would you mind if I added you to the contributes since you helped out so much?

Sebastian

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 14, 2016, 01:17:47 PM(Bass cleff cutoff?)
Yup!

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 14, 2016, 01:17:47 PMYeah I think that would be a good idea, although it would look a lot better with an 8vb. I am also thinking of adding a repeat for the whole first section since they are identical.
I don't recommend 8vbs in the right hand since they cloud up the middle part of the staff. Clef cut-offs are much cleaner/smooth looking.

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 14, 2016, 01:17:47 PMAlso, would you mind if I added you to the contributes since you helped out so much?
Lol, no need to add me. I'm a humble arranger here to offer my service anytime for free. I'm not in it for the glory :P

PetrifiedLasagna

Updated.

I am wondering if the repeat sign in the first measure is necessary since all of the signs go to the beginning.

Sebastian

I would say it's not necessary. Go ahead and take it out.