News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda discussion

Started by Nitro Indigo, April 06, 2016, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

Because they'd be stupidly out of place, and that's not how Zelda combat should work, ever.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

JDMEK5

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 13, 2016, 07:36:18 PMOverall voice acting gives video games a more cinematic experience (I'd hope at least) and I think Nintendo would rather see Zelda be enjoyed first and foremost as its own medium, then a cinematic, rather than embellishing the cinematic qualities of the game series (which I do really enjoy, but in its own special way).
For me I like not having any voices because when I see a new Link, I can imagine a new voice for him that suits. It helps the new Link grow on me that much faster and that much more personally.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dudeman

Quote from: BoywithoutaFairy on April 13, 2016, 08:37:45 PMwhy not?
press X to pay respects

...in all seriousness, quicktime events sacrifice gameplay for the sake of "looking cool." They require little to no effort, they aren't innovative, they don't evolve the combat, and they suck any skill required out of a series whose combat revolves around an element of puzzle-solving and skill. I don't want my combat to be "press the B button repeatedly to win!" tap A quickly to NOT DIE AS FAST

EDIT: Finally, QTE's also move games away from games and towards movies. There's a reason that one of my friends described MGS4 as "the best movie I've ever played." (Okay, to be fair, that was just because of the enormous amount of cutscenes. But it can apply in the gameplay department too.) A game needs to immerse the player, and a few button presses every now and then detract from the experience, not enhance it.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

Exactly. Zelda games rely on your actual skill. It tests you as much as it tests Link, and doing QTE events would strip Zelda games of that quality.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

that's why adventure games will always be better than RPGs, because there's not freaking level up system
unmotivated

Dudeman

That's another good point. In RPG's, you eventually reach a point where nothing is challenging anymore because you grinded (grinded? ground?) up to a point where you can decimate everything in your path. Zelda is great because the difference between early area difficulty and late area difficulty is decided by puzzle complexity and how much damage an enemy does. The only real "level increases" you get are more health, magic/more magic, and usually a stronger sword. That means that you can go back to early areas without thinking "great, here's the tutorial area with all the sucky enemies that I'll have to wade through now."
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

cashwarrior1

But then there's the waiting... (I don't have a big problem with it, but, just for talking about)

Trainer Ave

Completely off current topic but I'm stuck on phantom hourglass. I have the cannon and i still can't go to the northwestern sea. What do i do?
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

mikey

do you have the shovel
I suspect you will need the shovel
unmotivated

Ōkami~MD

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

cashwarrior1

I remember that part, I was stuck on it from like 2007 until the release of Spirit Tracks.

Spoiler
Break the rocks to get to the west side of the first map, go to the first visible island, get a shovel and start digging under some trees.
[close]

Trainer Ave

for some reason i forgot that it was possible to break rocks with the cannon
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Dudeman

...what else would you use the cannon for?

Trainer Ave

YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

cashwarrior1

You don't murder enemies, you tap them to death.