DUET
3 (21.4%)
BOSSA NOVA
2 (14.3%)
THEME + VARIATIONS
5 (35.7%)
GIVE IT VOCALS/LYRICS
5 (35.7%)
Check this option if you want this contest to involve collaboration (i.e. two people per arrangement)
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 20, 2016, 04:29:45 PM

cashwarrior1

A way you could judge collaborations could be like this: If they are doing piano, one person could be doing trebble clef and the other does bass clef, or have it two pianos, one person does one piano and the other does the other piano. If they're doing an orchestration, one person could do melody and percussion the other does bass and counter melody, or one person does woodwinds and strings and the other does brass and percussion. These things would be decided by the collaborators and they would tell the judge who does what and the judge can judge now knowing who did what.

Olimar12345

I agree that it would work best if the collaborators agree on what they will do and how they will do it. However, I think it would be best if they presented it kind of like what maestro said, as a single work. In my opinion, it should be graded as a group effort rather than picked apart as an "OK who did what? Who deserves more praise?"
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

^^^
Also, I'm kinda hoping the contest is held in June as well. It's 15x more likely I'd sign up for this one if that were the case.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

Yeah, I think this would be a great challenge to test and hone arrangers abilities to work with a partner. Bloop's proposition of combining option 1 and 3 would give the participants even more freedom and makes the most sense when you think about it, for we shouldn't just have people compete to see who can collab the best. We need to have a contest that actually poses an interesting challenge. Sure, Collaborations are hard enough already, but that's not really unique. People collaborate on songs all the time. It would up the challenge of  the contest if we made the teams combine the melodies and rhythms of different VG music into a well-made mash-up. If done right, almost all VG songs can be combined together to make a beautiful masterpiece. Doing this would also make the stipulations be more clear, and gives the teams a task instead of having the teams chose completely different things to do with their collaborations. For one, that could cause some problems with the judging of each piece, as you can't really judge a jazz orchestration the same way you judge a Seasonal orchestration or a mash-up. And being that the collaboration idea has no set in stone limitations, other than having to work with a partner, i strongly feel like we split it into 3 different ideas. This would give us 6 different ideas for the contest:
1. Mixing two songs from two different series together (Collaboration requirement)
2. Mixing two songs from two different series together
3. Jazz It Up/ bossa nova (Collaboration requirement)
4. Jazz It Up/ bossa nova
5. Combine a VG and Christmas song (Collaboration requirement)
6.Combine a VG and Christmas song

This would allow the contest to have clear instructions and make it easier for me and the judges to create a scoring system. Does everyone agree with me on this?

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

MaestroUGC

I think the theme itself should be decided first, and once we see the level of interest then decide if we'd have enough people to even do collaborations. It's clear this thing likely won't begin until closer to May anyway.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

I like bloop's idea of "two people make a duet, but the duet is a mashup of two different themes".  That way the group can be scored on how well the two pieces flow together, if they're distinguishable and recognizable yet inseparable at the same time, etc.
unmotivated

Bespinben

How about the contest be who can make the best fleenstones spoof?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

InsigTurtle

GRAND. DAD.
FLEENTSTONEZ?
AUGHHHH
GRAND. DAD.
GRAND DAD?
WHAT THE FUCK
GRAND DAD?
GRAND DAD!
WHAT THE SHIT
GRAND DAD

also my postmodernist interpretation idea was serious

fingerz

Quote from: BrainyLucario on March 11, 2016, 06:30:47 AMFor one, that could cause some problems with the judging of each piece, as you can't really judge a jazz orchestration the same way you judge a Seasonal orchestration or a mash-up.
If I had the time, I would've entered the Seasonal Contest with a Big Band Swing, Ballad, Funk and Latin theme for each. :P

But I didn't, so don't worry. XD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

BrainyLucario

So..would we need a poll at this point or should we wait?

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Just gonna throw around the idea of theme + variations and disappear~
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Bloop

It's a fun theme though
It depends on whether people want something new to try out or something already done that they liked. (Personally I'm both of these people)