News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Arrangement Contest No. 8 - Brainstorming *poll*

Started by Latios212, March 06, 2016, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

le theme

JAZZ IT UP
5 (35.7%)
TWO SONG MASH-UP
12 (85.7%)
CHRISTMAS VARIATION
0 (0%)
DUET
3 (21.4%)
BOSSA NOVA
2 (14.3%)
THEME + VARIATIONS
5 (35.7%)
GIVE IT VOCALS/LYRICS
5 (35.7%)
Check this option if you want this contest to involve collaboration (i.e. two people per arrangement)
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 20, 2016, 04:29:45 PM

Bloop

I actually don't think it will work. At all. The deadline would be way too long (4 months? No, thanks), and I think it would be way less fun to actually write. The piece becomes a whole lot less personal; the first arranger can't really say anything about whayever the fourth arranger decides to send in (also, waiting 3 months until you see your final piece? No thanks)
With two persons in a team, it's way easier and more fun to discuss about the piece and to arrange it, imo.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bloop on April 14, 2016, 06:15:25 AMI actually don't think it will work. At all. The deadline would be way too long (4 months? No, thanks), and I think it would be way less fun to actually write. The piece becomes a whole lot less personal; the first arranger can't really say anything about whayever the fourth arranger decides to send in (also, waiting 3 months until you see your final piece? No thanks)
With two persons in a team, it's way easier and more fun to discuss about the piece and to arrange it, imo.
This is all very true. Also, there is the fact that even though 10-12 people sign up for the contest, only 3-4 end up doing an arrangement. Having groups of four over groups of two makes this much more likely to fail.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

BrainyLucario

Yeah. I see your point. I think it's best that we scrap this idea. Sorry Okami.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Ōkami~MD

Yeah alright  ;) didn't really expect it to be possible anyway
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

BrainyLucario

Here is a list of the current contest ideas. Just to remind everyone.

JAZZ IT UP contest (/collab)
TWO SONG MASH-UP (/collab)
CHRISTMAS VARIATION (/collab)
DUET (collab)
BOSSA NOVA (/collab)
 BOSSA NOVA definition
a style of Brazilian music derived from samba but placing more emphasis on melody and less on percussion
[close]
THEME + VARIATIONS (/collab)
GIVE IT LYRICS (/collab)

All with (/collab) means there are two options: collaborated or solo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 06, 2016, 09:42:52 PMWe should wait until May for schooooolll to be done! :D
Quote from: fingerz on March 06, 2016, 10:01:29 PMI agree. I might even have time to join it. ;)
Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 11, 2016, 06:00:52 AMAlso, I'm kinda hoping the contest is held in June as well. It's 15x more likely I'd sign up for this one if that were the case.

Given how many people want this to start around May and June. I say that should be our goal starting time.

InsigTurtle

sonata cycle
with a movement in sonata form

or writing for a more modern ensemble, like a rock band

or postmodern, that'd be very interesting

every day
is a day
that is a day
wow
bye

EDIT: Actually, what I think could be a legitimate contest theme is something akin to an art song. But in this case, we'd take the original melody, and set that for voice, with possibly poetic lyrics, most likely relating to the plot of the game from which the music came from. Then, we'd add an accompaniment that fits with the lyrics. Some of the points would come from how well the melody and accompaniment reflect the text. Take a look at Erlkönig or Gretchen am Spinnrade, for example (the original for voice and piano by Schubert, not the piano arrangement by Liszt). If you analyze those, you can see how the accompaniment reflects the text. So I'm thinking that'd be pretty interesting for a competition. Except that in this case, you'd be fitting your accompaniment and text to the melody, instead of fitting the melody and accompaniment to text.

BrainyLucario

Are you saying we should make the contest be about writing lyrics for video game songs?

Bloop

Lyrics that reflect the mood of the melody, yes. I really like that idea, it opens up room for lots of interpretation, which is probably one of the most important aspects in arrangement contests.

BrainyLucario

Quote from: Bloop on April 26, 2016, 07:04:35 AMLyrics that reflect the mood of the melody, yes. I really like that idea, it opens up room for lots of interpretation, which is probably one of the most important aspects in arrangement contests.
It is an interesting idea. People have done things like this before and they can turn out really good!
Example
[close]

I'm down with the idea! I'll add it to the list i made.

Oronoco

As someone who would inevitably stick lyrics on an arrangement anyway, I approve of this idea.

Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

InsigTurtle

Mmm, if you take a look at the stuff I mentioned, they do some pretty interesting things. Like how the right hand in "Erlkönig" plays a figure that represents a horse galloping hurriedly, or how accompaniment in "Gretchen am Spinnrade" plays something that represents the spinning wheel and treadle in the poem, saving the most important words for the highest notes of the melody. Adding stuff like that so it isn't simply lyrics over the original song (which would probably make you lose creativity points anyway)

BrainyLucario

Quote from: InsigTurtle on April 26, 2016, 03:54:06 PMMmm, if you take a look at the stuff I mentioned, they do some pretty interesting things. Like how the right hand in "Erlkönig" plays a figure that represents a horse galloping hurriedly, or how accompaniment in "Gretchen am Spinnrade" plays something that represents the spinning wheel and treadle in the poem, saving the most important words for the highest notes of the melody. Adding stuff like that so it isn't simply lyrics over the original song (which would probably make you lose creativity points anyway)
Exactly...so with that said, given that we have 7 ideas to choose from, I feel like we should start the poll around the beginning of May, and leave it up for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then for the 3 or last week of may and possibly the first week of June, we could do the sign-ups. This would allow people to be done with finals and give them the chance to either judge or participate in the contest. While sign-ups are going on, me and the judges could come up with the scoring system and point categories. Once that's decided, we could then start it around the first or second week of June.How does that sound to everyone?

InsigTurtle

BrainyLucario

Dekkadeci

I'm also interested in participating in the arrangement contest (more likely solo than collab).

...Though I'm probably not voting for BOSSA NOVA (don't know enough bossa nova music) or GIVE IT LYRICS (I gave up on completing lyrics for my first song in verse-chorus form).

Wondering how much of each rule set you'll give in the polls (e.g. the description of THEME + VARIATIONS as "Write a theme and variations on a VGM piece", "Write a...VGM piece--we will specify the VGM piece and desired instrumentation at the start of the contest", "Write a...VGM piece--each entrant specifies the VGM piece s/he will base his/her arrangement on and provides a Youtube link of the original", or whatever else).