News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Similar Song Submission

Started by Th3Gavst3r, January 25, 2016, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Th3Gavst3r

Been scrounging through old threads and couldn't answer this myself. How similar can songs be before they shouldn't be resubmitted? For example, if there are two songs from a game but one is simply in a different key, should they be resubmitted? Or if one is much slower or faster? If there's a good benchmark or precedence for this it'd be nice to know. :)

Dudeman

I'd actually like my curiosity on this fulfilled as well, because I've always been a bit uncertain if the Genocide arrangements of the Undertale pieces need to happen.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Dudeman on January 25, 2016, 08:14:32 PMI'd actually like my curiosity on this fulfilled as well, because I've always been a bit uncertain if the Genocide arrangements of the Undertale pieces need to happen.

Pretty much why I asked too ;)

Latios212

I think like many things, we take it on a case-by-case basis. Did you have any tracks in mind?

(And I'm not familiar enough with those Undertale themes to decide on those yet.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Well, I know that Toby Fox has a made a real habit of time-stretching songs to make other songs. Most of the Genocide tracks can be converted back and forth between their normal forms using YouTube's x2 speed (Core Genocide). Other songs, such as the shop themes, are slowed in a way that also changes the key (exhibit A and B). So I guess the question is when should these be considered separate songs and when should they not?

Interestingly enough, just read someone say that genocide songs slow down progressively more as you kill things, so if that's true it's pretty cool (even if it complicates things slightly)

MaestroUGC

I think if the change is arbitrary, like a simple tempo change or key transposition, it doesn't warrant a separate transcription. You could probably just put a note in the original version that says "Play in X or at Tempo=N for Version B".
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Dudeman

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 25, 2016, 08:56:57 PMI think if the change is arbitrary, like a simple tempo change or key transposition, it doesn't warrant a separate transcription. You could probably just put a note in the original version that says "Play in X or at Tempo=N for Version B".
I agree with this. The music box version of "Home" is included in a staff note that says "Play one octave higher for music box version" or something to that effect, so I don't see why this shouldn't carry over to the other tracks in the game.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 25, 2016, 08:56:57 PMI think if the change is arbitrary, like a simple tempo change or key transposition, it doesn't warrant a separate transcription. You could probably just put a note in the original version that says "Play in X or at Tempo=N for Version B".

I was thinking about that, but it could cause issues with locating sheets. Unless the conversion is mentioned in the title somehow, it would be very hard to find songs with differing names through normal search methods. If that can be worked around, a note would probably work so long as the arranger thinks to put one in (although the sheets could always go through a resubmission from someone else I suppose). As for songs with separate keys, "Play this in X key" would be pretty useless for most people who can't transpose in their head. Should those be separate sheets even though they're essentially the same?

Olimar12345

It really is a case-by-case deal, and is difficult to generalized a rule for. Just ask questions and try to use your best judgment.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 25, 2016, 09:10:10 PMIt really is a case-by-case deal, and is difficult to generalized a rule for. Just ask questions and try to use your best judgment.

Yeah I figured that would probably be the case, just hoping there was an easy mode

Dudeman

There's no "easy mode," I'm afraid, but there is...
It's not John Cena I swear

[close]

Th3Gavst3r

Dear God it's worse than John Cena