Th3Gavst3r's Arrangements (Beer 3/17)

Started by Th3Gavst3r, January 05, 2016, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

Nice sounds a lot better now! :)

I think that the coda system however is incorrectly used. I think the time you use a new system like that is for optional endings, to differentiate them from the rest of the song. I think you should only have a regular "to coda" and "coda" and not the special system break.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 16, 2016, 05:59:44 AMI think that the coda system however is incorrectly used. I think the time you use a new system like that is for optional endings, to differentiate them from the rest of the song. I think you should only have a regular "to coda" and "coda" and not the special system break.
Really? I've never heard of that. Thinking back to the music I've played in the past this format seems very natural and familiar, but we've always played the coda no matter what. There doesn't seem to be anything about that rule on the internet either, but I did find a music notation handbook that says codas should be displayed this way using a new system. :-\

Edit: In the end, I decided to add the ending section after all since I felt bad about straying from the original :P

Th3Gavst3r

[NDS] Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs

Legendary Battle

[GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Mystic Cave Zone (1-player)

Surprisingly, summer seems to be taking up most of my free arranging time :-\
Anyway, here's a couple new songs for your viewing/listening pleasure

daj

Ooh, Guardian Signs. Underrated game. Not the best soundtrack, but definitely good enough to add some atmosphere to the figh- i mean circling thingies.

Took a listen to the Guardian Signs arrangement! I think you have the idea! :) The rhythmic pulse is pretty appropriate for sure. The melody is accurate, and that's one of the most important things in an arrangement! Great job on those :)

That being said, one look at your score tells me that it's in the wrong key. Hehe. If you keep landing on A-sharps, then chances are it's in the key signature. This track is actually in G minor (two flats), but without the sharpened leading note (i.e. f-natural instead of f-sharp). But at the same time it uses lots of chromatic notes to create tension, so I can see why you might have gotten a little confused.

Maybe give it a shot - change the key signature to two flats, and respell your sharps to the appropriate (flattened) pitches, and I promise you it'll feel much better ;)

Th3Gavst3r

Thank you so much, I could not decide on what key to use and was really hoping somebody would correct me lol
Hopefully I got the accidentals right too, those always turn out bad

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Th3Gavst3r

Yours can be too, with the wonders of open source code!
(Not that it's bad to begin with :P)

E. Gadd Industries

Why thank you! Perhaps, could I borrow that for mine?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Th3Gavst3r

Yeahbsolutely, wouldn't want my forms going unused eh?

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Th3Gavst3r

[GBC] Pokémon Gold/Silver

Fanfares Collection

Completely forgot I'd finished this one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

daj

Hahaha xD!! I love it. I just love it.

If you don't mind I'll go learn these fun flourishes and innocently insert them into some of my pokemon recordings <3

Oh! Tonality is a little pet peeve on this side, so:
- Item Obtained: F major! E-flat is a flattened seventh that resolves to the leading note.
- Level Up: E major! Minor change, buuut the four chords are E major chords, so
- Get Badge: should be F major, because there's a cadential cliche (kinda) there - VI-VII-I. It ends in F major, so yeah.
- Evolution: F major! Mixolydian mode.
- Pokemon Entrusted: E major! See "Level Up".

As a rule of thumb, keys should be determind more by chord progressions than by accidentals! ^^ Cadences (resolutions at the end of a phrase) give away the tonality most of the time, and it takes a little studying to understand how it works, but once you get it it'll make sense. None of the changes I mentioned above actually affect the sound, sooo if you let me I'm still going to rip some of them off (with credit, no worries!), but ya know, theory-balls.

Th3Gavst3r

Finally got around to fixing the keys, thanks for helping out! I guess this sheet was good practice at least (never before have I seen such intense key-change density hehe) but looks like I still don't know what I'm doing ::)

Also threw this together after getting a nostalgia blast from a PSX Let's Play

[PSX] Sony PlayStation BIOS

Startup

(Sounds a lot better with massive reverb)

Th3Gavst3r

I kept jamming to this song instead of arranging it lol

[MUL] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Sewer Surfin'

On a side note, does anyone know if there's an articulation or something to indicate only a few notes should be played more softly? For instance, these three G's aren't part of the melody but help with keeping the drive. I'd like to distinguish the melody by marking them as softer, but using dynamics like "mf" then going back to "ff" is very crowded. Any ideas?

Altissimo

Hey, I've got another Ham-Ham Heartbreak track, if you're interested in arranging it. The Ham-Jam version of Moonlight appears to be marginally different from the in-game version (which I got on site).

also question: how do you do your video-scores? i was thinking about making some