News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

E. Gadd's Word of the Week & Others' Interpretations of Said Word™️

Started by E. Gadd Industries, January 03, 2016, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 20, 2016, 06:46:16 AMYeah, until June 17ish
Plead the 8th; that's cruel and unusual punishment. :/
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 19, 2016, 10:33:22 PMSink me! Also lends its name to one of the best weapons in Borderlands 2.
Fancy! I don't play Borderlands 2.
5/20/16 Infantilize (v.)- 1. to cause to be or remain like an infant or young child  2. to treat like an infant or young child

The second definition perfectly describes he relationship between my parents and I. ;_;
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Ōkami~MD

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 20, 2016, 07:20:11 AMi am yung child lel

!!! you must have been infantilized somebody save them
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

Zeila

My immediate family also does that to a certain extent, and it gets annoying :/

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Ōkami~MD on May 20, 2016, 11:30:59 AM!!! you must have been infantilized somebody save them
Nothing can be done.... If it could, I wouldn't have to deal with it, either.
Quote from: Zeila on May 20, 2016, 04:15:27 PMMy immediate family also does that to a certain extent, and it gets annoying :/
I feel your pain...

5/21/16 Circadian (adj.)- being, having, characterized by, or occurring in approximately 24-hour periods or cycles (as of biological activity or function)
Something neither young adults nor this thread exhibit. XD
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

unmotivated

shadowhunter301

So you mean, a period of a day? 24 hours?

Sorry if I'm not getting it.  :D
Interesting word!

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: shadowhunter301 on May 22, 2016, 07:36:36 AMSo you mean, a period of a day? 24 hours?

Sorry if I'm not getting it.  :D
Interesting word!
Yes, that's what is being referred to.
You get hungry at certain parts of the day thanks to this "internal clock".

5/22/16 Palinode (n.)- 1. an ode or song recanting or retracting something in an earlier poem  2. a formal retraction

In 1, would an allegory be a type of palinode?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Lol no, I think you misunderstand what an allegory is. An allegory is a work of literature where every character, element, etc. stands for something bigger. An example used quite often is how The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is allegorical towards Christianity, especially Aslan being a not-subtle-at-all representation of Jesus.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

Crap, I meant allusion. XD I try to English, but all the terms for literature get confusing and jumbled (ironic, right?)

5/23/16 Tarantism (n.)- a dancing mania or malady of late medieval Europe

I don't know whether to find that amusing or sad...
But apparently, this word is related to Toronto, Canada Taranto, Italy, and the condition it describes is believed to have been caused by the bite of the European Wolf Spider, which for those that don't know, is also known as the Tarantula (etymological roots are fun, aren't they?). Many of those same people thought that such a hysteria could only be cured by (you guessed it) "dancing off the venom". It is said that the Italian folk dance, the "tarantella", was inspired by all of this madness.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

shadowhunter301

Interesting word! And yeah, for me it's pretty sad. All that dancing for nothing, well except maybe cardio. XD

E. Gadd Industries

Nonsense! They danced to shake out the venom!

5/24/16 Sedulous (adj.)- 1. Involving or accomplished with careful perseverance  2. Diligent in application or pursuit

My, what a way to finish the school year: sedulously. I can say that school took precedence over most things in my life during the school year. I hate to say that, but I can say it.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

5/25/16 Bifurcate (v.)- to divide or cause to divide into two branches or parts

Now that the school year is over, I'm going to try and get up early every morning & post the word, but I'm not sure how consistent that'll be. I will still post the word every day (unless I'm grounded, but I'll tell you & send someone the word to post in my place), but it may not be around the same time every day.

Things that bifurcate: Scissors, tectonic plates (divergent boundaries, of course), calculators, wars, what else?

EDIT:
Also, who would be interested in a 3DS tournament, whether it be Smash or MK7, and when would it be most convenient for you?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Bloop

I actually used that word in a song recently: a bifurcating river is a river that divides into two rivers that end up in two different seas. I used rivers as a metaphor for different people's lives and time:

QuoteOur braided river's been untied
We bifurcate to different sides
I try to raise mine like the tide
To cross the great land which divides us

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on May 25, 2016, 04:55:06 AM5/25/16 Bifurcate (v.)- to divide or cause to divide into two branches or parts

Things that bifurcate: Scissors, tectonic plates (divergent boundaries, of course), calculators, wars, what else?
Here's a fun fact: when designing the dwarf Bifur for The Hobbit movies, the design team decided to put part of an axe in his forehead, thus giving him...a bifurcation. This is the actual reason.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book