News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Star Wars

Started by MaestroUGC, December 18, 2015, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Since Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens released on December 18th, 2015, the first of a new trilogy of films under the helm of Disney, I figure some people here would want a space to talk about our favorite space opera. I figured this would be a good place to talk about everything Star Wars; the movies, shows, books, games, everything else from the (now defunct) Expanded Universe. If it's got Star Wars at the top, it's right at home here since the films are the centerpiece of the whole franchise.

It is recommended that if you haven't seen the most recent film yet then just stay away from this thread. But as a precaution, a couple of ground rules considering spoilers:

1) Any and all discussion about the most recent film should be in spoiler tags and shall remain that way at least until the end of the theatrical run for said film. No Exceptions.
 - As a corollary to that, any significant details regarding major plot points and the endings of these movies should be discussed in spoiler tags until the video release.
2) Any speculation regarding details about the Eps. 7-9, as well as the upcoming Anthology series of films, should also be discussed in spoiler tags. Said details could be more significant than you realize, better safe than sorry.
3) Any discussion of any currently airing television shows, recently released games, etc. should use cautious spoiler tags.
4) Anything else dealing with the new Star Wars Canon (books, comics, various reference/supplemental material) should be ok, as long as it doesn't directly pertain to the most recent movies or shows.
5) As a rule of thumb: If you aren't sure it's a spoiler, put a spoiler tag anyway.

Just be mindful of others who might not have a chance to see the latest movie when posting.

May the Force be with you.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

I'm going to see it on Monday. Is it as good as the other movies were? (I'm not asking for any kind of spoilers; just if it's noticeable that Disney owns it now)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Nana1Popo2

This film was remarkably well done. Did it go by quick? I think so, but I think that was because it was so filled with great dialogue and action that I didn't realize the time passing by.

So, criticize me all you will but I had never seen the original trilogy before a few days ago (being a film major in college), just the prequel trilogy when I was younger. Naturally, leading up to opening night I had to catch up so I watched all six in order. Seeing the original trilogy for the first time was really wonderful, too. I caught on to pop-culture references, understood major plot points better, and overall had a better understanding for the franchise than I ever had (especially because I was old enough to understand it, haha).

Episode VII was great on so many levels but not only because of how it brought back the memories and nostalgia that the original trilogy did, it was still new and it's own thing; opening up a whole new galaxy to re-explore. I'm a sucker for those references to the earlier films (that should just be a given rather than a spoiler). As for all the lore, I don't really know very much, but I'm excited for these future films to open it up.

Also,
Spoiler
The storm trooper that got tricked by Rey was actually a Daniel Craig cameo, haha!
[close]
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

GaryOak

Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 19, 2015, 08:56:47 AMI'm going to see it on Monday. Is it as good as the other movies were? (I'm not asking for any kind of spoilers; just if it's noticeable that Disney owns it now)

Only thing that kinda made me think of Disney while watching the movie was the humor. While the prequels had some pretty shitty and unfunny jokes, the ones in this movie weren't so bad and they reminded me a little of the Pirates of the Caribbean.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

MaestroUGC

I was fortunate enough to see it opening night and thought the movie was a worthy successor to the Star Wars name, J.J. really did a fantastic job and it probably wouldn't have gone as well if he didn't have enough since to reunite the original; writers and crew from the Original Trilogy.

I'm still suffering from new-ness shock,but I'll be seeing it again this week with family so I'll hold off on a proper review.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

InsigTurtle

I'm off to see the movie in 2 hours, so I'll withhold any judgement until then.

TheMarioPianist

I just returned from seeing this. Wow. That's my expert analysis. Wow. I'll make some proper and more elaborate comments later, but I'm still in shock. Awesome.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

KefkaticFanatic

It was a worthy successor for sure, in feel and

Spoiler
how they compressed the plot of the original trilogy into one film.  Also I knew the whole time they would kill Han but I just refused to believe it would happen.  T n T

Also, maybe that'll be the focus of the next film, but nobody seemed overly concerned that the entire government of the galaxy was wiped out instantaneously.  I guess they had something else to worry about but ehhhh??
[close]

me irl
[close]

Yug_Guy

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 23, 2015, 03:36:03 PM
Spoiler
how they compressed the plot of the original trilogy into one film.  Also I knew the whole time they would kill Han but I just refused to believe it would happen.  T n T

Also, maybe that'll be the focus of the next film, but nobody seemed overly concerned that the entire government of the galaxy was wiped out instantaneously.  I guess they had something else to worry about but ehhhh??
[close]
Spoiler
Really? I thought it was mainly channeling "A New Hope."

Also, that is one of my biggest gripes with the movie. They clearly describe the First Order as more of a faction rather than a ruler similar to the empire, but it just comes off as "another empire." What about the New Republic they keep talking about? How much of the galaxy do they control? Because the movie just made them seem more like "the rebels" more than anything else.
[close]

KefkaticFanatic

Spoiler
Mainly new hope yes, but we get the "evil cave" from empire strikes back in the basement with the saber, and the destruction of the base matches rotj more than the first film.

I did see some thoughts about how perhaps they'll expand upon republic and that only a single system out of their numerous was destroyed, but it sure seemed like it was implied that they knocked out the entire center of government.  This is the one time I wanted them to expand upon space politics in Star Wars.
[close]

me irl
[close]

JDMEK5

All my thoughts are going into spoilers just to be safe:
Spoiler
I watched it, and while I think it was awesome, I don't think it was my favorite just cuz it has very little original plot.
[close]
Quote from: Nana1Popo2 on December 19, 2015, 11:57:14 PMEpisode VII was great on so many levels but not only because of how it brought back the memories and nostalgia that the original trilogy did, it was still new and it's own thing; opening up a whole new galaxy to re-explore.
Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 23, 2015, 03:36:03 PMIt was a worthy successor for sure, in feel and

Spoiler
how they compressed the plot of the original trilogy into one film.
[close]
Quote from: Yug_Guy on December 24, 2015, 10:15:47 AM
Spoiler
Really? I thought it was mainly channeling "A New Hope."
[close]
Spoiler
I already said I thought this was an excellent film but here are my two biggest rants about it:

1) The plot. It was honestly just A New Hope all over again with new characters and new planets. Hell, they couldn't even avoid starting on a desert planet again X(
2) The ending scene. This is an infinitesimally small piece of the movie, I understand, and so this doesn't really affect my opinion of the movie barely at all. The pan around whats-her-face as she holds Luke's saber out to him was so weak. It's trying to make it so epic and even the score tries really hard but the reality is that it's just awkward. This is the first Star Wars movie to end in a cliffhanger (the others can, for the most part, be watched as individual standalone films) and quite frankly, the panning was just bad. So bad that I stopped to realize just how bad but I'm gonna sum it up by saying that this is possibly the weakest ending scene I've ever seen in any movie.
[close]
There.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

mikey

Episode III had the best ending
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

Now that post is what we call "spam", children.

me irl
[close]

EFitTrainr

I'd just call it worthless garbage.
Come on, even I wouldn't sink that low.
I like food.

JDMEK5

The more I reflect on this movie, the less I like it.

Oh and btw (the reason I posted here again), has anyone played the Miiverse level in Smash since Star Wars came out? I noticed this as soon as it happened but failed to mention it here but there's posts on that level that literally do nothing but spoil big parts of the movie.
Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 26, 2015, 11:59:43 PMNow that post is what we call "spam", children.
If I hadn't seen the movie before I saw these spoilers, it wouldn't have been nearly as funny as it was.

My Arrangements