E. Gadd's Inventions: An Unofficial Revival, Plans Moving Forward (17)

Started by E. Gadd Industries, November 23, 2015, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

So I updated Hype the Time Quest's "The Guardian of Time"! I added a countermelody + some other things I missed in my first arrangement. As with Apt. 102, I'm currently not working with MUSX files, so only the MID, MUS, and PDF files are updated to reflect the changes made. Feedback is appreciated, this will be the next sheet I submit.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

"The Guardian of Time" has been updated to reflect the version put on-site!
Additionally, a few minor changes have been made to the information contained in the OP, but nothing of consequence.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

Mario Party 7
Sail the Canals (not submitted yet):
[PDF][MUS][MID][MUSX]

It's time for my 31st arrangement!! This sheet is a collaboration between myself and ThatHiddenCharacter, making for our second collaborative piece! This song plays as you pleasantly stroll fight for glory in the first Mario Party 7 board, Grand Canal. The song reflects this deceptive cheer and delight; while it is a pleasant listen, it's filled with a devious rhythm scheme that's out for blood. Seriously, we had quite the time figuring out the rhythm, and don't even get me started on beaming.

But yeah, here it is, in all its glory :D as always, any feedback will be appreciated!

On to the next order of business! There's been a slight change in plans (although when isn't there a change of some sort here?), and now I will be working solely on the Super Mario Sunshine OST, as indicated in the OP! It is uncertain as to how this whole project will develop; I'm taking part in one of those fancy new Personal Arranger Projects that was brought up in the Updater Discord Server! I might post the sheets here as I finish them, I might wait until I finish. We'll have to see!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

"Apt. 102" has been updated to reflect the accepted version! Additionally, the Super Mario Sunshine OST is well underway, behind-the-scenes!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

*cough cough* Again with the dust...
*ahem* Anyhoo, I just updated both "Sail the Canals" and "Title" to the accepted versions!
Also,
"Sail the Canals" is my 30th arrangement to be put on-site! WOOHOO!!

And one final announcement, while I've been away for quite a long span of time, I still intend to arrange. In fact, if you look at the marquee text in the OP, you'll see that I am only 17 SHEETS AWAY from uploading the COMPLETE Super Mario Sunshine OST here! Such excitement! Like a pie made of wow!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

(You're late!)

Be quiet!
Anyhoo, despite my lateness, this is an update, and QUITE the update, at that! I just got finished uploading EVERY FILE I HAVE READY FOR FEEDBACK from the Super Mario Sunshine OST! This is accompanied by a complete reorganization of the "Super Mario Sunshine" section in the OP, with a complete list of what tracks will ultimately be arranged by yours truly, and the status of EVERY sheet (color-coded and lemon-scented!), in addition to a different system of listing that involves OST number as opposed to the name of the sheet. I know this doesn't make things easier for you, but it's easier for me to find things this way. I'll change back to alphabetical when I complete the OST (still 17 sheets away, yes, but you'll notice that several of those are "In Progress")!

If you're interested in leaving feedback and want the original music, PM me and I can point you in the right direction (or just give you the music file)! I didn't feel like working with more files and links in Dropbox, soooo that's why I don't have anything in this post with regard to original music.

My goal is to finish the remaining 17 over the next few weeks and then focus on getting them on the main site, but I'll still be adding to submissions. If I think about it at some point tomorrow, I'll probably review and submit #63 to fit as my second slot! (I'm still waiting on answers to questions on feedback with #32/33).

That's all I can think to mention in this update, be watching over the next few weeks as the marquee text will change to include how many pieces I have left to arrange and the sheet I plan to complete next! Or, just look for the number in the subject line (see: currently), which I'll also update as I continue through the remainder of the OST!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

I definitely couldn't have gotten this far without your help, so thank you for that! ^^
I decided that the best way for me to be motivated would be to post things here so people can see what I'm doing. A sort of unexpressed accountability
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Libera

Just popping in to say that there's something about OST lists that I find very aesthetically pleasing, so it's nice to see one of those here!

A# Minor

I FOUND YOUR LAB!!! And I'm 5 years late...

So could you build an operational FLUDD for me? ...Oh wait, this is for sheet music. Never mind. I'll just spare you from my cringey self (lol) and continue trying to play Delfino Plaza on my flute...
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

E. Gadd Industries

X)) what a revival. Good luck on Delfino Plaza flute! I didn't manage to replace that one, but it's a good sheet :)

Also this is an intentional bump too to say that something is cooking :eyes:
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

Question to anyone who is so motivated to help out an arranger, how would you go about arranging this?
I already have a preliminary version arranged but it's really rough around the edges. Three things in particular that I'm wondering,
1) Would you have a pedal marking for this piece? Some things sound as though they could go for pedal, but the bassline definitely sounds too crisp to have it.
2) How would you go about the slide guitar? Currently I have a crap ton of glissando throughout the piece, but that's not at all realistic for someone trying to play the piece irl (unless they want to break their hands). Would it be better to just cut the glissandos altogether and let the pedal throughout fill that slided(?) notes effect?
3) There's the like, high register piano line in the background, would you include that? And how? I imagine another voice in the RH (and maybe octave shifting to make it playable with everything else), but getting that free-flowing rhythm to it is difficult. It sounds like it's slowing down slightly toward the end of each measure.

(For reference, I have the files for my current arrangement in the OP)
Many thanks to anyone so willing to help an arranger out to maybe submit this for the project :)
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zeila

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 11, 2023, 10:56:43 AMQuestion to anyone who is so motivated to help out an arranger, how would you go about arranging this?
I already have a preliminary version arranged but it's really rough around the edges. Three things in particular that I'm wondering,
1) Would you have a pedal marking for this piece? Some things sound as though they could go for pedal, but the bassline definitely sounds too crisp to have it.
Welcome back to the arranging groove! I think a pedal works fine here because of all of the chords and slides playing, but the marking should be below the LH staff. I think sustained chords should be prioritized over a crisp bassline for this particular case, especially since the bassline doesn't sound bad with a pedal anyways. If there were a bunch of staccatos and syncopated stops, then that would be a different story

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 11, 2023, 10:56:43 AM2) How would you go about the slide guitar? Currently I have a crap ton of glissando throughout the piece, but that's not at all realistic for someone trying to play the piece irl (unless they want to break their hands). Would it be better to just cut the glissandos altogether and let the pedal throughout fill that slided(?) notes effect?
I think something like this would be a better adaptation for the piano. Those glissandos look like they would be a bit too awkward to play, especially given that some of them end on black keys. I also think that you could just write the entirety of the slide guitar in the RH staff instead of mixing it with the LH. A low E is probably pushing it with the ledger lines, but I think it could be fine with the context of the 3rd interval above it. Also, I think the low Eb/Gb dyad would sound better as Gb/Bb
You cannot view this attachment.

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 11, 2023, 10:56:43 AM3) There's the like, high register piano line in the background, would you include that? And how? I imagine another voice in the RH (and maybe octave shifting to make it playable with everything else), but getting that free-flowing rhythm to it is difficult. It sounds like it's slowing down slightly toward the end of each measure.
I think that's only worth including if at all towards the last 8-10 measures. There's less going on for the RH to do, so it would be more feasible to play, and it also just sounds more prominent towards the end anyways. Coincidentally, the xylophone/piano/whatever alternates between the bottom two notes of the chord (which would also be one of the most convenient options to play). As for your concern about the freeform slowdown, I think including that would be too heavy handed because of the significant diminuendo/fade out. Excluding the second half of the measure by just writing half notes would also give the player (and arrangement) a bit of a rest in between each phrase

There are two options that I can think of, and you can pick which one you like the most if any! Playing the full chord while keeping up with all of the sixteenth notes would feel a bit too tense to play, and there would also be spacing issues between the chords and 2nd sixteenth notes due to the tiny distance between the two. That's why I recommend taking out the 3rd interval in the 2nd picture
*After some consideration, I don't think the courtesy accidentals are necessary here because they are implied through the rest of the chord accidentals. It's also a repetitive figure because the chords keep going up/down by half steps

Some other things I've noticed:

Formatting
  • The copyright is a little too close to the edge of the page. You could just use 4 systems for both pages so that it would fit, but if you would rather not do that, then you could raise the 3rd and 4th systems up a bit. The copyright is also missing the s in https
  • The title and page number on page 2 are misaligned, and both could just be oriented along the top margin rather than some offset above it
  • I think this would look better if you used 4 measures per system (excluding the pickup measure) instead of 3 measures in the 1st and 5 measures in the 5th system
  • As Xiao and I mentioned in THC's sheet, I think any tempo direction would typically go before or above the metronome assignment. The metric modulation text can stay after it though (with parentheses). I think something like this would work. If you insist on keeping it the same, then I think you should move the Swing text a space or two to the right since it was just barely a bit too close to the number
    Just hide the regular Swing text or change the Human Playback to jazz so that the playback would still function correctly
  • It looks like you created a pickup measure with the time signature tool instead of clicking Document -> Pickup Measure to choose the duration. This doesn't matter too much, that just automatically updates the measure numbers for you, and it also properly displays the amount of rests according to the actual duration as opposed to a generic whole rest. You can change this by manually adding a quarter rest on the empty staff, right clicking the staff in order to edit the Measure Attributes, and then unchecking "include in measure numbering"; or you could revert the pickup measure to a normal 4/4 measure before using Finale's built-in Pickup Measure method (this would delay the playback by the missing beats in the measure though if you care about that)
    measure attributes gui
    [close]
    **From this point onwards, the measure numbers will be off by 1 number from your current sheet until you change the behavior of your pickup measure
  • pickup measure - the 'p' dynamic is a bit too far to the left. Also, I don't think piano really fits this at all. Mezzo forte is fine, or mezzo piano at the very least
  • m. 1-3 - some notes are offset from their default positions without any obstruction to justify it. In particular measures 1/3 on beat 1 and measure 2 on beat 4 (2nd layer) are pushed to the right. You can fix this by going to Advanced/Special Tools -> Note Position, clicking on the measure with the selected layer, and pressing backspace/delete on the selected boxes relative to the notes you want to reset
  • m. 7-8 - you don't need to put double barlines before clef changes, so you could get rid of those
  • m. 7 LH - you should typically avoid writing 8va's above any bass clef staff. Usually, I think 8va's in between the RH/LH staves are either above treble clefs or below bass clefs. This is just info for future reference because I think there's a less conflicting way to write this section
  • m. 7/11/15 LH - you could replace the tied eighth notes with a quarter note since they're not crossing the strong beat. I think tying notes together under the same beam looks a little off. If you really wanted to keep the ties, then you should break the beam and write it like the following image, but I would recommend sticking with quarter notes
  • m. 14 RH - the glissando should be moved a few spaces to the left because it's a bit too close to the accidental. To add more room, you can add extra space at the beginning through the Measure Attributes. 0.03 should be enough, and you could also change that for measures 6 and 15 if you'd like to
  • m. 19 RH - you should flip the slur on the tie because it's currently colliding with the beam, and there's nothing in the way if it were to be oriented on the bottom/notehead side like how slurs for grace notes usually are. Also, this measure could use a bit extra space in the beginning too because of the accidentals in the 2nd layer
  • m. 32 (last measure) - there's an extra squiggly arpeggio line that's currently just colliding with the E note, but I guess this would be obsolete anyways if you were to get rid of the glissandos altogether

Notes
  • m. 3 LH - beat 4.5 there's a low C here just like in measure 11
  • m. 6 RH - this is hypothetical, but you could just change the clef on beat 4 and write the Db in the RH staff (specifically change clefs on a downbeat instead of right before the pickup). Also, I know the L bracket matches with the pickup part, but you could also just use the double bracket tool for cases where the RH staff is already busy
  • m. 7 LH - beat 1.5 idk where the G came from. I personally don't hear any there, but I could be wrong
  • m. 6-7 - I think it would look neater if you straight up just wrote it like either of these two options instead. It would also be more manageable to play without the giant leap in the LH (complete with crossing hands)
    You cannot view this attachment.vs.You cannot view this attachment.
    not sure which is better, but one uses brackets while the other cross staves the notes
    • This also isn't properly depicted in the pictures, but you could make the chord in measure 6 a whole note rather than a dotted half note since the RH marking is gone. The choir voice thingy does sound like it stops early, but that's not consistent with the rest of the sheet since you wrote more whole notes than dotted half notes. Measure 14 should also be changed if you choose to decide to go through with it
    • Also, you should include the C# in the chord if you switch it over to the RH staff
  • m. 17 RH - I think the guitar hit starts on a B instead of a C, so you could put in the D# in the chord. A C sounds a bit too dissonant/distinct on a piano anyways. It also sounds like it reaches the A on beat 3 rather than beat 4. Something like this could work?
  • m. 18/20/22/24 LH - beat 4 Bb eighth note actually comes in at beat 3.5 as a quarter note instead
  • m. 20 RH - I think the notes might be Eb-D-Bb-G from top to bottom? Or D at the top with Eb on the bottom, idk
  • m. 21 RH - I think it would be better to prioritize the plucky notes over the theremin slide thingy. It also sounds like the Eb is right on beat 2. Maybe something like this could work?
  • m. 21/25/29 LH - you don't need to include courtesy accidentals when they start a new system because the key signature should be a reminder, but I think it's fine if you want to keep them
  • m. 24 RH - you could write a sixteenth note triplet arpeggio in lieu of the glissando
  • m. 32 LH (last measure) - beat 4.5 low A sounds like a low Bb instead

This is what it could theoretically look like once you update the sheet, mainly for showcasing most of the formatting updates like the measure distribution or text alignment
Spoiler
[close]