Best way to treat a repeat?

Started by Altissimo, November 19, 2015, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Soo I'm working on this. The way it repeats itself is confusing me how best to write it. To wit, it moves approximately like this:
Intro [3 bars: 0:00-00:05]
A section [17 bars: 0:05-0:37]
B section [16 bars: 0:37-1:06]
Intro reprise [3 bars: 1:06-1:12]
C section [16 bars: 1:12-1:44]
B section reprise [16 bars: 1:44-2:13]

and then the entire piece repeats. The way I have it written now is basically as above - |:[Intro][A][B ][Intro][C][B ]:|. But I feel like there's a way to incorporate the repeated B section in, like with DC or DS or first/second endings. But none of my ideas so far have been successful. For instance:

[Intro][A]S|:[B ][Intro]DS[C]:| such that the roadmap would be Intro --> A --> B --> Intro --> C --> B --> Intro --> DS to A --> repeat from there. Except that in practice, the fact that the DS is in the B section means the playback (and possibly performer) wants to take the DS the first time around back to the S, which just results in Intro --> A --> B --> Intro --> A --> B which is not correct.

I also thought about using first/second endings and a DS:

[Intro]S[A]|:[B ][Intro]1[C]:|2[Intro]DS

except that this results in a first ending that's like 16 bars long and that just seems like it's too long.

Is the best way to write it really just re-writing the entirety of the B section or is there actually a better way to write it?

(For the record: It's part of my personal style to have repeats of the whole song in my arrangements of looping video game tracks, rather than just a double bar line. This would be easier if I weren't trying to fit an entire-repeat in, but alas)

Tobbeh99

I don't know if any repeats will help, haven't thought about it too much. But you don't got even 2 sections in a row that are the same so I think it won't work. You can also think of the form and presentation of the sheet: if it will make it easier to read the sheet or if it will make it harder and more confusing, not only if you can save paper and inc.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh