News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Lasagna's Kitchen: Pocky & Rocky 2 - Exotic Country Road

Started by PetrifiedLasagna, November 18, 2015, 10:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song from Bomberman 64 do you want done sooner?

Blue Resort
1 (50%)
White Glacier
1 (50%)
Black Fortress
0 (0%)
Rainbow Palace
0 (0%)
Boss Battle
0 (0%)
Altair and Vega/Altair's Full Form
0 (0%)
Staff Roll
0 (0%)
Final Battle 1 <Sirius battle 2>
0 (0%)
Final Battle 2 <Sirius battle 3>
0 (0%)
Stage Select <Overworld>
1 (50%)
Continue?
0 (0%)
Battle Mode Victory
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

PetrifiedLasagna

Here is the first Bomberman 64 song I have completed since starting this project. Let's just say that the bass is much more suitable for listening than transcribing!

Advertise Theme <laser seizures> | mus | mid | pdf |

Who else thinks that this would make one of the most epic solo pieces to hear performed?

WaluigiTime64

Just a few things to whine about.

- I'm curious about the pedal marking on measure 20. I feel like it should be positioned below the L.H. stave (like you have in measure 1), but it's not too important.

- Also the key signatures seem a bit off. The sections in G Minor have a lot of E Naturals, as if they are in D Minor, especially the last section, which also happens to end on a D chord. I think the C Minor might be fine for that middle part though.

Other than that, it's pretty accurate and well made! I can't wait to hear more!
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

daj

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 08, 2016, 12:04:52 AM- Also the key signatures seem a bit off. The sections in G Minor have a lot of E Naturals, as if they are in D Minor, especially the last section, which also happens to end on a D chord. I think the C Minor might be fine for that middle part though.

Other than that, it's pretty accurate and well made! I can't wait to hear more!

I don't really know how this sounds, so that means that whatever I say here is pure theory-whacking! Bwahaha :)

That being said, echo Waluigi's point - the first and last sections are definitely in D minor. So that's one flat. You have more E-naturals than E-flats in either of those sections, so yeah :p. Plus the ending is a D minor chord. Yeah, you get the idea :)

Tiny nitpick! All your D-flats should be C-sharps to avoid confusions arising from false relations with the tonic (D) note. Basically, in the D minor scale, you shouldn't have a D-flat, but you can have a C-sharp (it's way more complex, but that's the idea). Not a tough fix~

Other than that, I think it's pretty "awesome"! (you know, because awe-inspiring? urgh. shoot me now). The fourths are pretty tasteful even if I don't know what the original sounds like, the progression is clear and it's pretty organised. Great stuff :)

PetrifiedLasagna

Thanks for those pointers! It is good to know all that stuff I have learned has been committed to memory. The links are exactly the same (thank you dropbox), so I just quoted the links in my previous post.

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 07, 2016, 09:31:53 PMAdvertise Theme <laser seizures> | mus | mid | pdf |

Now if you excuse me,
if(iAmExhausted == true)
    return "To Bed";
Yep, that's a programmer joke!

daj

Yay! Much better :)

Erm, if you don't mind, more tiny nitpicks! I think it's acceptable if you don't want to change these anymore haha, but your call.

For bar 10, you may take the liberty to use crotchets (quarter notes i think) instead of tied quavers (eighth notes i suppose). The only rule when it comes to beaming within the bar in 4/4 time is that the second and third beat should not be beamed together save special cases. So crotchets are easier to read here. You can use a dotted crotchet in the right-hand part too, with this same logic :)

Also, one bar before the ending, you might want to use F-sharps. Makes the chords more clear (the melody is, after all, triadic). But I think it's acceptable-ish to use a G-flat too.

That being said, I think you've got a great work right there; if you choose to submit it, all the best :)

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: dajwxp on June 08, 2016, 05:32:30 AMFor bar 10, you may take the liberty to use crotchets (quarter notes i think) instead of tied quavers (eighth notes i suppose). The only rule when it comes to beaming within the bar in 4/4 time is that the second and third beat should not be beamed together save special cases. So crotchets are easier to read here. You can use a dotted crotchet in the right-hand part too, with this same logic :)

Ah, yes it looks much nicer that way, especially on the right hand part where it was looking a little crowded.

Quote from: dajwxp on June 08, 2016, 05:32:30 AMAlso, one bar before the ending, you might want to use F-sharps. Makes the chords more clear (the melody is, after all, triadic). But I think it's acceptable-ish to use a G-flat too.

I see what you mean. Also, when you consider that G notes are being played it makes more sense to use F# in that context than Gb.

Quote from: dajwxp on June 08, 2016, 05:32:30 AMThat being said, I think you've got a great work right there; if you choose to submit it, all the best :)

Thank you very much. I had to look up most of the terms you used so I knew what you were saying. In fact NinSheetMusic is somewhere around 35-45% of my current musical training :P. When it come to music though, I have never been much of a passive listener.

I will definitely be submitting this one, along with a couple others that are really iconic (Sky Kid for one). Good luck on your projects as well (two thumbs up)  ;D

PetrifiedLasagna

I have created a poll where you can vote on the song you want completed soonest. Basically, songs that have the most votes will have a higher priority. I all the songs for Bomberman 64 are up there except Red Mountain, the battle mode menu, and that annoying sound effect for songs that you have not unlocked :P

WaluigiTime64

Oh right. Polls. I need to do one of those eventually.
I voted Green Garden because it's what I consider the first level.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

PetrifiedLasagna

Yet another arrangement complete. This time it is the theme for the Green Garden. Prepare to get your electric-funk on with this sweet jam! :D

Green Garden | mus | mid | pdf

I was also thinking of doing an orchestral arrangement for the first time, and that I would start with something from Gauntlet Legends. Maybe I could convince a nearby school to try it when it is complete  :P *shrug*
Any suggestions on ways to organize it would be appreciated.

Gauntlet Legends: Valley of Fire
[close]

WaluigiTime64

I forgot how much I love this song.

- On Measure 20, there should be more notes than just the minim. A couple of descending notes, which then form harmonies with the quavers (not octaves, I don't think).
 - Really, Measures 13-20 look messy, but I'll excuse it because that's just how the notes are.
 - When it comes to accidentals, particularly in the last section, try using a rule where you use sharps when the notes are going upwards, and flats when the notes are going downwards. It's slightly easier on the reader. A notable exception to this rule is when you're trying to follow the accidentals of the chord in the melody. (Say, if a song in F Major has a measure with F Minor accidentals (and an F Minor chord), you should use the other flats, even if the notes are going upwards). If all else fails, just try to limit use of accidentals. They're such a pain to work with.

Can't wait to hear more!

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2016, 11:02:21 AMI forgot how much I love this song.

Yeah, I am gonna end up crying from nostalgia  :'( #TearsOfJoy

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2016, 11:02:21 AM- On Measure 20, there should be more notes than just the minim. A couple of descending notes, which then form harmonies with the quavers (not octaves, I don't think).

It took me a while to figure out which harmonies you were talking. At first I thought you were talking about the bass harmony. After about 5 minutes of playing it back I realized it wasn't playable, and that you were talking about the Treble.  :P

I am having a hard time deciding which note to use for the last harmony. Which do you think I should use, D or B?

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2016, 11:02:21 AM- When it comes to accidentals, particularly in the last section, try using a rule where you use sharps when the notes are going upwards, and flats when the notes are going downwards. It's slightly easier on the reader. A notable exception to this rule is when you're trying to follow the accidentals of the chord in the melody. (Say, if a song in F Major has a measure with F Minor accidentals (and an F Minor chord), you should use the other flats, even if the notes are going upwards). If all else fails, just try to limit use of accidentals. They're such a pain to work with.

Okay, I made some adjustments to the last section. Although, I kept the flats in the right hand for m28 since the key is G Major and they are F flats.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 17, 2016, 01:09:15 PMI am having a hard time deciding which note to use for the last harmony. Which do you think I should use, D or B?

Umm... I'm not sure how to answer that question.

I should've explained myself better, sorry. (It was 4 in the morning). I meant something like this:

Your original measure (20) was like this:

But what I hear is this:

I think it's because of the 3 or so voices in the treble, which are really annoying because they blend so much due to them playing at almost the same volume. Sorry for any confusion.

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2016, 03:18:47 PMUmm... I'm not sure how to answer that question.

I should've explained myself better, sorry. (It was 4 in the morning). I meant something like this:

Your original measure (20) was like this:

But what I hear is this:

I think it's because of the 3 or so voices in the treble, which are really annoying because they blend so much due to them playing at almost the same volume. Sorry for any confusion.

lol, those are the notes that I thought were the bass harmony. Not only that, but I got them wrong too. Real face palm moment right now!  :P

Thanks for the help though. It was definitely lacking before, like a big empty spot that felt out of place.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 17, 2016, 04:08:30 PMThanks for the help though. It was definitely lacking before, like a big empty spot that felt out of place.

No problem. I thought the same thing.