News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Copyright issues + check out my channel!

Started by frederatormusic, November 17, 2015, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frederatormusic

Hey everyone! I'm frederatormusic and I do arrangements of primarily Pokemon music (here's the link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Frederatormusic/videos)

I posted some of my sheets on MuseScore.com and recently, most of them have been taken down due to copyright claims by BMG Rights Management. Just wondering, how has this site remained running for so long without (presumably) having any trouble like this? As far as I can see, the only thing that users need to do is put the name of the original composer on the sheet, which is what I have always done.

I'm looking forward to hopefully posting more sheet music on here, and please feel free to check my videos out! I do plenty of non-Pokemon and non-piano arrangements as well.

Zunawe

MuseScore.com is, I'm sure, a company that deals with sharing compositions and arrangements in general, and they make a profit from it. Because of that, keeping copyrighted material on their site risks a lawsuit. Simply giving credit to the composer doesn't make it legal to distribute their work for free.

Now, technically, that means that what we do here isn't strictly legal. It's not our property, but we're giving other people access to it. That said, we don't make any profit, we always give credit to those people that helped in creating it, and we do it out of respect and love for the music (there are also some creative liberty aspects that could be argued, if weakly). So, if Nintendo or GameFreak or all those companies wanted, they could probably force the site to close without much effort (albeit some international legal complications). But, we really aren't harming their business, and we're helping to expand the community. I personally like to think Koji Kondo would find this place pretty cool if he stumbled upon it.

TL;DR Nobody really cares enough to take down the site because we aren't really doing much harm. But they could.

Anyway, you're welcome to contribute to the site. More music is always great.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

JDMEK5

Well way back when we had Nintendo composer Chad York (Mario Strikers Charged, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) and he thought this was great. Nintendo and such companies could probably close us down but we're helping their business so they really have no reason to. I'm sure if the composers knew what we were doing, they would support it actually. That is as long as Nintendo isn't making a significant profit selling official arrangements.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dudeman

omg That's right Chad York visited once! Man, that was awesome!
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

unmotivated

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

mikey

some digging?  All I did was type in chad york in the search bar.  This thread reminds me are you in any way related to Cartoon Hangover?
unmotivated

JDMEK5

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 04, 2015, 09:26:28 PMAll I did was type in chad york in the search bar.
Let's just say that for me it wasn't that simple though I have no idea why. I did try that though.

My Arrangements

braix

Maybe your search bar is broken. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JDMEK5

I'm not sure how that's even possible but it's not a big deal. It served the purpose.

My Arrangements

Zunawe

Remember the search bar searches in the current topic. You've gotta back out to the main forum page to search everywhere.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

JDMEK5

Quote from: Zunawe on December 05, 2015, 01:40:50 AMRemember the search bar searches in the current topic. You've gotta back out to the main forum page to search everywhere.
Ohh well see? I didn't know that.

My Arrangements