[3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - "Soaring Illusions" by InsigTurtle & Latios212

Started by Zeta, October 31, 2015, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Soaring Illusions
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: InsigTurtle & Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

We tried very hard to make it both playable and readable since the transcription has a lot of overlapping/impossible parts, so any feedback on our presentation would be much appreciated!

(Also would like to say this is definitely a candidate for my favorite VGM track of all time.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on October 31, 2015, 09:52:28 PM(Also would like to say this is definitely a candidate for my favorite VGM track of all time.)
Same.

Anyway, to the arrangement.

-First measure: some right hand notes off. Double check those.
-2nd layer chords in measures 6, 9-11, and 13: Can these chords be physically played? Yes. However, I think it would be kinda difficult to fit these stretches in realistically.
-Measure 16: Got some funky cross staff stuff going on here. I would personally do one of two things: Let the right hand play all of the pitches in those last two eighth notes or have the right hand play the very top notes and the left hand play the very bottom notes. The B in the very last chord could go to either the left or the right depending on which works better. However, making the left hand reach around the right to play a note seems unnecessary here.
-Most cases that have overlapping notes do not need to have them. Measures 13 and 17, for example.
-Measure 26: What happened to that cross staff notation thingy? (For the record, anything 4 ledger lines above the bass clef should be moved up for sure. Probably even notes 3 lines above should be as well.)
-Clean up measure 24 and 30-32. Also move right hand of 33-35 into first layer.
-Note clash in measure 35.
- I'd say flip the layers entirely in the left hand from measures 5-36.
-GET RID OF THE GRAND PIANO SOUND FONT ;D

Good arrangement; don't let my correction list deceive you! (Trust me, I've gotten much, much worse ;D)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Clanker37

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-2nd layer chords in measures 6, 9-11, and 13: Can these chords be physically played? Yes. However, I think it would be kinda difficult to fit these stretches in realistically.
I kinda disagree. The thing about large chords is that it's up to the pianist to decide what they can do. Like, I have big hands, so I can easily play a tenth, but those with small hands will have to make them broken chords. There is nothing wrong with either approach; it's up to the pianist to decide what they will do, so the role of the arranger could be argued to minimal. I mean, your point is valid, but I wouldn't edit it if it were me.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-GET RID OF THE GRAND PIANO SOUND FONT ;D
Also this. Perhaps your referencing the musx. file or whatever, but, to my knowlege there is no "right" piano sound font to use. I know that Deku used a different sound font from the rest of the site and it made no difference.

But I agree with the rest of your comments. Clean this up Latios!

But overall, it's a good arrangement. You are certainly taking steps in the right direction I think.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Clanker37 on October 31, 2015, 11:12:22 PMI kinda disagree. The thing about large chords is that it's up to the pianist to decide what they can do. Like, I have big hands, so I can easily play a tenth, but those with small hands will have to make them broken chords. There is nothing wrong with either approach; it's up to the pianist to decide what they will do, so the role of the arranger could be argued to minimal. I mean, your point is valid, but I wouldn't edit it if it were me.
Also this. Perhaps your referencing the musx. file or whatever, but, to my knowlege there is no "right" piano sound font to use. I know that Deku used a different sound font from the rest of the site and it made no difference.

But overall, it's a good arrangement. You are certainly taking steps in the right direction I think.

Well, my thing about the chords is, it's kinda hard to make a four note chord broken when you have to play another note immediately afterward. Could you always omit a note as the player? Sure. But here's the thing. I can play a tenth as well. However, have you noticed how it gets increasingly difficult to play that interval when you play notes in between? Especially when you have to precisely land that chord amongst other notes. We'll see what the arrangers and updaters think.

(PS: The soundfont thing was a joke. Sorry if that wasn't clear!)

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

InsigTurtle

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-First measure: some right hand notes off. Double check those.

I'm actually not hearing what's off. Are you listening to that louder echoing voice or the softer piano voice?

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: InsigTurtle on October 31, 2015, 11:36:10 PMI'm actually not hearing what's off. Are you listening to that louder echoing voice or the softer piano voice?
I'm referring to the piano voice. Whoops, should have clarified. I have no problems with any of the other two measures, it's just that first one. Personally, in the eighth note run, I'm hearing A-C-C-G-C-D-G, but that first note is kind of shaky. The problem with that one is, both the G and the A play on that beat. You may want to play around with adding an A to the right hand part of that whole note chord; it's not 100% accurate but it would become kind of messy to notate it exactly. But anyway, that first eighth note probably could work as an A or a G; your choice. However, I am very certain on the consecutive C's; I played the video at half speed probably 20 times and never heard another D aside from the one in the left hand. Let me know if you have any other questions or anything.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Oronoco

Aaaaaaaaaa Story time! In case you care.

This morning I finished the Delta Episode for the first time. It was really about time. So I finished, and I was smiling and everything and feeling the feels. And then I got on NSM and saw this! And I felt more feels. It was one of those cool coincidences.

I'm really glad you arranged this, InsigTurtle and Latios!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

Latios212

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-Measure 16: Got some funky cross staff stuff going on here. I would personally do one of two things: Let the right hand play all of the pitches in those last two eighth notes or have the right hand play the very top notes and the left hand play the very bottom notes. The B in the very last chord could go to either the left or the right depending on which works better. However, making the left hand reach around the right to play a note seems unnecessary here.
Oh, maybe I wasn't being clear enough. For the first page at least, the right hand should take everything on the top staff and LH bottom regardless of cross staving.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-Most cases that have overlapping notes do not need to have them. Measures 13 and 17, for example.
Eh, I'd rather leave it in rather than have an eighth rest gap in the layer and having the performer wondering where the voice went.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-Measure 26: What happened to that cross staff notation thingy? (For the record, anything 4 ledger lines above the bass clef should be moved up for sure. Probably even notes 3 lines above should be as well.)
So I was trying to keep it consistent throughout the sheet as I said above so RH takes top staff and LH bottom. I know it looks funny here, I can cross-staff it, but then there'd be ambiguity on which hand plays what (as that part is probably easier for the LH to play so the RH doesn't have to deal with the polyrhythm).

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-Clean up measure 24 and 30-32.
We tried moving things around a bit but couldn't come to a really clean solution. Do you wanna try drawing it out?

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PMAlso move right hand of 33-35 into first layer.
-Note clash in measure 35.
Fixeded

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM- I'd say flip the layers entirely in the left hand from measures 5-36.
Everything beams automatically in the right direction this way. Does it matter?

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PM-GET RID OF THE GRAND PIANO SOUND FONT ;D
I actually like the way it sounds here lol.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 31, 2015, 10:41:34 PMGood arrangement; don't let my correction list deceive you! (Trust me, I've gotten much, much worse ;D)
Thankies.

Quote from: Clanker37 on October 31, 2015, 11:12:22 PMI kinda disagree. The thing about large chords is that it's up to the pianist to decide what they can do. Like, I have big hands, so I can easily play a tenth, but those with small hands will have to make them broken chords. There is nothing wrong with either approach; it's up to the pianist to decide what they will do, so the role of the arranger could be argued to minimal. I mean, your point is valid, but I wouldn't edit it if it were me.

Doing my best but some parts are difficult to notate :S any Bespinben-style drawings would be appreciated!

Quote from: Oronoco on November 01, 2015, 09:48:24 AMAaaaaaaaaa Story time! In case you care.

This morning I finished the Delta Episode for the first time. It was really about time. So I finished, and I was smiling and everything and feeling the feels. And then I got on NSM and saw this! And I felt more feels. It was one of those cool coincidences.

I'm really glad you arranged this, InsigTurtle and Latios!
Thank Insig he started it xD but yeah having sheets to capture those memories of playing the game is just the best ;D
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

In real pinball machines, players would bump and tilt the table to tweak the trajectory of the ball to their liking. This is known as "nudging". While a little nudging can add skill and depth, too much breaks the game and needs to be guarded against. This is dealt with using sensors that kill the current ball if the table is tilted or smacked too much. Pinball video games seem to have a nudge feature just to emulate this aspect of real-life play.

Bespinben

I thought I got a pretty good score last time I played pinball with you over Skype... did you remember to write it down?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

InsigTurtle

InsigTurtle

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

InsigTurtle

JDMEK5

Last measure, RH: I guess I just have to ask why you're using two different voices. There's no conflict between voices simultaneously on the staff at all so I would just use the one voice.

And maybe some dynamics can be pulled away just a tad to make more room. Namely in measures 25 and 30.

Other than that it looks good to me.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26