Oasis' Video Game Music Reviews

Started by Oasis, September 12, 2015, 12:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueflower999

Battlerock Galaxy is one of my personal favorites but I can understand if you don't like it as much. The Dreadnought Galaxy was a nightmare.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Oasis

@Slow: Hmm. I can see how the grade system is failing horribly. Because I love battlrock, no doubt, but the whole system is being screwed over. :/
@Blueflower: Sorry about that. I guess I should stop doing the grade system because the results are not what I want too, or maybe I can base the grades off myself and not by the points
"I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!"
Oasis

Beach Bowl Galaxy Above Water

Beach Bowl Galaxy is one of my favorites, simply for its upbeat beats and penguins! This song also plays on the Sea Slide Galaxy. We can see the synth pad beginning the song and after that the drums come in and that is when the music starts.
At 0:45 is the peak of the song. It's like you are in a watery paradise and as you have fun, this music plays, making your mood all the more livelier. Definitely a must listen to.

Highlights: The instruments complimenting each other and its upbeat spirit.
Lowlights: Could have been more fun. I feel like they could've done more gimmicks with the piece.

Beach Bowl Galaxy Underwater

The underwater piece is also great in many aspects. We can see the drums and most of the instruments have toned down. The only thing that you can hear very clearly is the bass, maracas, and synth pad sounds.
When you are exploring underwater, this music will really calm you down. And the chorus voices are also present and also are soothing to hear.

Highlights: It compliments the underwater perfectly well and as the underwater is more peaceful, so is the music.
Lowlights: Actually, none!

Latios212

On the contrary, I like looking at the differences between the different versions of the same galaxy theme :P
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Oasis

@Latios: Understood. I will be editing the post shortly.
Oasis

Big Bad Bugaboom

Ah, the Big Bad Bugaboom. In case you were wondering, Bugaboom is the boss for Honehive Galaxy. The music is actually quite calm as it only peaks halfway and near the end.
Does the intro seem pretty familiar? Yes, it was taken from part of the Honeyhive Galaxy. It kinda has a bee feel to it. You can see the piano playing in the begin as it is backed by maraca's and other instruments.
The next time the intro plays again, it's backed by yet another instrument in the background and it goes up in scale then down twice. Then towards the end you can hear the sound of drums being pounded then there is a break and resumes to normal.

Highlights: Pretty catchy.
Lowlights: Ripped off from Honeyhive Galaxy. Could have been more creative with the beginning.

Creativity: 3/10 (Basically most parts were ripped off from Honeyhive and I don't appreciate that.)
Emotion: 5/10 (It kinda made me feel all jittery because I guess the boss and the music goes well together.)
Length: 6/10 (This song is quite long and it's enjoyable.)
Relevance: 7/10 (It kinda does have a bee/honey theme to it and just by listening to it, I can tell.)
Personal Opinion: 5.25/10 (It's pretty catchy, it compliments the boss, but only if parts were not ripped off, this would be waaay higher.)

Final Score: 27.25/50
Tobbeh99

Just for feedback: you should probably mention if the theme is a reused/remixed song. And then if it is heavily reworked, or the opposite, very similar to the original.
Like the "Attack of the Ariships" which you reviewed earlier.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Oasis

@Tobbeh: Yeah, I should do that. Thanks for the feedback!
Oasis

Birth

Now, this song has had mixed controversies because does this theme sound very familiar to you? I mean, it should. Some people assume that since the title is Birth, it should be about a woman giving birth.....which is pretty creepy if you put it like that.
This would be the toned down version Super Mario Galaxy's Gusty Garden. It has less instruments and gives off a more soothing vibe. And you know from the last review, I slammed The Big Bad Bugaboom because it had parts ripped off from The Honeyhive Galaxy.
Relax, I won't do it here because even if it actually ripped off the Gusty Garden Galaxy, they did a new approach with this song. Only the piano is present in this beautiful piece. This song plays before the credit and you can hear only a part of it.

Highlights: All parts of the song. How they used it to tone down Gusty Garden, makes this piece all the more beautiful.
Lowlights: Perhaps if they added a few more parts it would've been better, but that would be useless as in game, the music gets cut down really early.

Creativity: 86/100 (Remixing one of Galaxy's exciting, loud themes for a calm and soothing theme.)
Emotion: 93/100 (You can actually feel the beauty of this song and imagine listening to this while viewing the Northern lights.)
Length: 92/100 (01:12 of beauty being played.)
Relevance: 88/100 (A new world is being created. Yes, it happens in a bang, but if you think about it, the process of creating a new whole world can be soothing indeed.)

Personal Opinion: 90/100 (I loved the music overall and it put me to sleep once because I was very tired. Although it's not as strong as A Wish, you can at least feel some emotion.)

90/100=90.0% (A)
Oasis

Please Read! From this point onward, I won't be giving a grade in terms of creative, emotion, relevance, etc. I will only give a grade of what I think in the end. This is how it's going to be from this point forward. The way I'm doing it now.

Blue Sky Athletic

Another wave of nostalgia steerikes again! Do you guys remember this theme from anywhere? Yes, it comes again from Super Mario Bros 3.  There are 5 instruments and 1 sound effect. The instruments aren't present all together.
In some parts, a couple instruments play and on other parts, other instruments play. The only instrument that plays throughout would be the bass and the drums. The sound effects come at the second part of the song.
Besides nostalgia, the theme is pretty simple.

Highlights and Lowlights: The main highlight would be the round of nostalgia that hits you like a bus while its lowlights would be its simplicity. Though I don't think that's really a lowlight.

Creativity: I wouldn't say it's really creative, I would just say it's a simple theme Koji has composed.
Emotion: It doesn't give out any emotion, it's one of the songs that are just there. The only emotion I felt was....you guessed it, nostalgia.
Length: It is one minute and four seconds.
Relevance: You're in a happy place with happy music playing.
Personal Opinion: It's great. It's not too overly complicated nor is it overly simple. I say it has a perfect balance.

My Rating: 82/100=B

Oasis

Boo Race

When I try speaking about this, I usually get angry. Let's see if I can try avoiding that. What a rip off! Does this theme sound very familiar? It should! The Aquatic Race sounds almost the same! The only difference is that they slowed the song down, added drums, and added tiny little gizmos to cover up for their incompetence.
Their only saving grace is the drums which I find pretty catchy. They also added mini piano bits that randomly play near the end of the song. And they couldn't have chosen a better song to rip off. I love aquatic race, and because they chose to copy that, I am conflicted. Basically, I have a love-hate relationship with this song.
Although it doesn't have the upbeat, fast beats Aquatic Race had, this still is more complex with added instruments.

Highlights and Lowlights: Catchy and ripped off from one of my favorite song, but it was still ripped off! I felt like that Boo deserved its own theme song.

Creativity: The way how they added more instruments, slowed the song down, added complex drums, but still sounds awesome.
Emotion: I feel pumped because of the drums and it motivates me to win against the boo.
Length: A solid minute.
Relevance: You are in a race against the Boo!
Personal Opinion: Ripped off, but ripped off from one of my favorite song. I don't what to feel for this song. Though it is catchy :D

Report Card: 85%

SlowPokemon

"Ripped off?" In a single score, that's called use of theme or motif. You cannot criticize a piece for referencing other pieces within the same score. It's part of a larger work and since it's the same composer (incidentally you haven't mentioned either of the composers yet, you just say "they") it's impossible to be "ripping off" himself.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Oasis

Great...I'm making a big fool out of myself right now. XD
Thanks though!
SlowPokemon

No it's all right! It's not like you've ever learned this stuff before. In truth, I was exactly like this when I started thinking about music and writing about it. But honestly, keep writing and writing because you'll grow to understand music a lot better through it. :D
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Oasis

Thank you very much SlowPokemon. And thank you for your feedback also. It's really helping me to grow. Once again, thanks for even spending time to read and give feedback. I really appreciate it.