Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Surf
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Altissimo

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Altissimo

For the record, I posted it the way I did, with little formatting, because Latios suggested I should submit it just for the purpose of getting feedback on the musical elements, since I wasn't getting feedback in my thread or anywhere else. The formatting was going to be fixed later, when I had an idea of whether the arrangement was musically solid or not.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

We decided we'd wait for Bespinben

I am still like 99% sure that it's compound, not 3/4, though

mikey

unmotivated

DonValentino

Quote from: Altissimo on September 10, 2015, 10:50:34 AMWe decided we'd wait for Bespinben

I am still like 99% sure that it's compound, not 3/4, though

A lot better now! It's 3/4 however, I'll give a spin in a while so you can see it more clearly :J

Edit: Done. Transcribed to 3/4 note by note. Consequently, all the accents are unnecessary as 3/4 already implies that the first beat is the strongest.

Mind that I just transcribed it to 3/4, didn't take care of playability/any other issues. However, it should be a good starting point for further correcting. Don used Baton Pass!

Altissimo

WHY DO I KEEP HEARING COMPOUND METER THEN IF EVERYONE'S SO SURE IT'S 3/4 ; ; goddammit i'm supposed to be a music theory person

DonValentino

Quote from: Altissimo on September 11, 2015, 07:17:07 AMWHY DO I KEEP HEARING COMPOUND METER THEN IF EVERYONE'S SO SURE IT'S 3/4 ; ; goddammit i'm supposed to be a music theory person

Try to think of it as a waltz, maybe it helps. It definitely isn't 12/8 though ;J

Tobbeh99

I think the 3/4 lies in the somewhat strong first and third beat played by the bass. If it would be 12/8 it would be a slow 12/8 which I think is quite rare, and also in 12/8 the strong beats are 1,4,7,10 and especially 1 and 7; so it feels more like a 4/4 with triplets.
Try comparing some 3/4 and 12/8 songs. One song in 12/8 is my arrangement on Victory Road from Pokémon R/S/E. In that song the constant triplet-like bass, lack of strong beats and the high tempo gives it a more 12/8 feel.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

ok i get it the time signature's wrong. DV already fixed it. now can we discuss more of the arrangement that isn't time signature related

i'm a little bit salty since i really hate being wrong about time signature related stuff and then in addition to that it sounds like I have people talking down to me a lil for being wrong which probably isn't the case but i take shit real personally

Tobbeh99

^Just trying to help by sharing my opinion.

Anyway I have a couple of ideas for the arrangement:

1) Dynamics: You have marked measure 1-9 mp, and 10 and so on mf. I feel it should be the opposite, that the strings sound louder that the flute. My idea is:
upbeat measure: mp cresc.
measure 1-9 mf
measure 10-18 mp
measure: 16-17 cresc.

2) articulation: I think there are some notes that should be staccato, particularly some quarter notes on the third beat. Maybe also add some slurs, thereby notating both legato and staccato.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

Quote2) articulation: I think there are some notes that should be staccato, particularly some quarter notes on the third beat. Maybe also add some slurs, thereby notating both legato and staccato.

Some of that was notated in the original score. I think it got removed during DV's changing it from 12/8 to 3/4.

As for the dynamics you're probably right, I'll edit that in

edit: ok i changed the file to have the articulations (kinda messy tho because working with finale notepad is like trying to peel a potato with a fish) but I can't really redo the dynamics properly because the tools just plain don't work on notepad so if someone else could get that it'd be nice

mikey

I totally get it, like key/time sig is supposed to be "easy" but sometimes you just can't figure it out and people expect more of you >:(
unmotivated

Clanker37

OK, here's a thought. In bars 2 - 7 and 18 26 (and more), you have the melody in the right hand with arpeggios, with very little in the left hand. For the sake of simplicity, rather than have the right hand do all the work, could you have the arpeggios played by the left hand (either by jumping or transposing the arpeggio's down)? As a pianist looking at this piece, that is the first thing I would do.

Also, bars 34 - 38, is missing notes on beats 2 and 3, which could be easily put into the left hand.

Altissimo

Quote from: Clanker37 on September 11, 2015, 08:55:52 PMOK, here's a thought. In bars 2 - 7 and 18 26 (and more), you have the melody in the right hand with arpeggios, with very little in the left hand. For the sake of simplicity, rather than have the right hand do all the work, could you have the arpeggios played by the left hand (either by jumping or transposing the arpeggio's down)? As a pianist looking at this piece, that is the first thing I would do.

The problem with that is that the arpeggios start on the same pitch as the bass in the left hand (which imo is necessary to the sound of the piece). This means that either the starting pitch of the arpeggios becomes the same pitch as the bass, which makes subsequent pitches lower than the bass which I think would compromise the integrity of it since the bass is no longer, well, the base, or the starting pitch of the arpeggios goes an octave up, which makes the arpeggios unplayable by the left hand while still keeping the bass intact. Trust me, I've thought about it, and I'm not sure that the arpeggios-in-the-left-hand solution is any better than what I actually have written. Maybe some of the notes should be inverted, I dunno, but it's not easy to put that into either hand.

QuoteAlso, bars 34 - 38, is missing notes on beats 2 and 3, which could be easily put into the left hand.
I actually can't figure out what the hell those notes are, I did try when I was originally arranging this but for some reason I just cannot figure out those pitches. If anyone wants to try that'd be great lmao