News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Pedagogy

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, September 05, 2015, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, while many of the pianists and other musicians here (myself included) love classical music and know how much it helps to play it, I got around to thinking. What if we have a thread (perhaps stickied? Maybe? Please and thank you?) that gives pieces to work on certain aspects of technique, or just give a list of pieces in progressive difficulty? Perhaps noting what difficulties there are so a pianist can go to this thread and pick out a piece to use to work on a technique.
Below a horizontal rule I'll manage the list. Though we may want to establish a difficulty rating system, but I'm not too sure about that.
Your thoughts?
(By the way, I'm enclosing one piece in the list)

"Verdanturf Town (Pokemon R/S/E)": To improve balance between the hands, bringing out a cantabile melody, legato thirds and chords.

"Dream of the Shore Near Another World" (Chrono Cross)- Improving coordination between the hands, often involving playing the accompaniment with both hands

"Linbeck's Theme" (TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass): Leaps in the left hand, melodic articulation necessary in the right.

"Loading Screen" (Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure): Basic note reading

"Cinnabar Island" (Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver): Basic note reading

"Battle! (Wild Pokémon)" (Pokémon Red Version & Blue Version): Chromatic runs

"Fear of the Heavens" (The Secret of Mana): Improving arpeggios
what is shitpost

TheMarioPianist

I would definitely approve of something like this. Whenever I go to play a song from any franchise besides Super Mario, I never know where to start. This would help people like me to have the ability of choosing new songs to play that are either in our difficulty range or help to improve a particular skill, as you mentioned before. I'd love to have something like this stickied. Someone, please?
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

ZeldaFan

I would love a thread like this. I've been looking around trying to find songs that would help me improve on playing more accurately, but where would I even start?? Here of course!

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

InsigTurtle

Oh, so stuff like "this piece has large leaps, fast runs, polyphonic texture, etc. etc. etc."? That could be helpful. 

About your example, Verdanturf Town, there's also a couple of places with legato thirds and chords. Could be somewhat of a challenge for a beginner, I think.

Tobbeh99

Great idea for a thread. I have a couple of sheets for examples, both being superbly arranged:

Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Near Another World (Brawler4Ever, Bespinben):
Improving coordination between both hands since you have to play the accompaniment with both hands at certain times. Bringing out the melody, not too hard since it is in the soprano and often in octaves.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Linbeck's Theme (Olimar12345):
Left hand leaps, Right hand melodic articulation.

You can add these to the OP.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Latios212

I likey.

Some things I thinked:
- Kinda goes without saying, but we should only include pieces in the list if they meet current quality standards (everything so far does, anyway).
- People have had some oppositions to difficulty levels in the past so we should associate a piece with a particular skill rather than a number.

Sheets to feature:
- Basic reading notes
  - "Loading Screen" (Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure)
  - "Cinnabar Island" (Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver)
- Chromatic runs
  - "Battle! (Wild Pokémon)" (Pokémon Red Version & Blue Version)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

I have a couple for more advanced players:

"Gusty Garden Galaxy"(Super Mario Galaxy)"
Various techniques for intermediate/advanced players such as: Reading and playing in a key with lot's of flats (Db-major). Jumping Left Hand. Balance between melody and rhythm (Right hand Left hand). Control over different dynamics. Articulations. Octaves.

"Victory Road" (Pokémon R/S/E):
Reading 12/8 meter. Different Dynamics. Octaves, mostly in the right hand. Fast runs in the left hand. Multiple voices. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Cool, thanks everyone. Adding these in now to the OP.
Formatting question- should we organize these by technical skills or by piece, listing the technical skill after?
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

By piece. The skills required for each piece differ, so I don't quite see a good way to organize them by skill. I guess ideally, it'd be a table.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Alright, thanks. Will see if I can format it neatly and make it look like a table.. Is there a way to do that?
what is shitpost

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 06, 2015, 08:52:11 PMAlright, thanks. Will see if I can format it neatly and make it look like a table.. Is there a way to do that?

Song TitleSkill
"Verdanturf Town (Pokemon R/S/E)"To improve balance between the hands, bringing out a cantabile melody, legato thirds and chords.
"Dream of the Shore Near Another World" (Chrono Cross)Improving coordination between the hands, often involving playing the accompaniment with both hands.
"Linbeck's Theme" (TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass)Leaps in the left hand, melodic articulation necessary in the right.
"Loading Screen" (Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure)Basic note reading
"Cinnabar Island" (Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver)Basic note reading
"Battle! (Wild Pokémon)" (Pokémon Red Version & Blue Version)Chromatic runs

Maybe something like this? Idk, very basic example with a very basic BBCode table. Don't even know if you can make more complicated or not.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 06, 2015, 09:48:24 PM
Song TitleSkill
"Verdanturf Town (Pokemon R/S/E)"To improve balance between the hands, bringing out a cantabile melody, legato thirds and chords.
"Dream of the Shore Near Another World" (Chrono Cross)Improving coordination between the hands, often involving playing the accompaniment with both hands.
"Linbeck's Theme" (TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass)Leaps in the left hand, melodic articulation necessary in the right.
"Loading Screen" (Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure)Basic note reading
"Cinnabar Island" (Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver)Basic note reading
"Battle! (Wild Pokémon)" (Pokémon Red Version & Blue Version)Chromatic runs

Maybe something like this? Idk, very basic example with a very basic BBCode table. Don't even know if you can make more complicated or not.
Well analyzing the code gives me an idea of how to do this but I have no knowledge of any code XD
Thanks though, I'll see about implementing that soon.
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

Mysterious Woods (Link's Awakening): Three hands

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 07, 2015, 08:35:49 AMMysterious Woods (Link's Awakening): Three hands
I'm looking at that sheet, and there's a DS al fine and no fine..
I may add it though, I'll look over it and stuff.
what is shitpost