So, Insig may be able to compose stuff, eh?

Started by InsigTurtle, September 05, 2015, 04:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

If you took the first four staves, you could make an epic boss battle theme with it.

InsigTurtle

hmm, i actually started messing around with those upper notes, since i thought those sounded nice.
anyway, something else

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve8a93ldu2ennmy/one%20plus%20one%20is%20three.mus?dl=0

one plus one is three

i wrote the A section (up to the B minor part) in music class (gasp!), and i wrote the rest at home while suffering from stuff
so there's some very incoherent melodic lines when i was thinking about whether or not it was a ut stone

ut in this case standing for undertale, of course. very painful.

cashwarrior1

Well that sounds like some snowy place. Like for a game, it's either a snowy mountain or a village at night.

InsigTurtle

Hmm, y'know, I don't really think about that stuff when I write it. I hear something in my head, and I write it down, so I don't consciously think of a theme or mood of the piece when I'm writing it. So it's interesting to me how you interpret it in a way I never think of, y'know.

Anyway, postin' another thing. This one, I actually wrote most of it a couple of years ago, either in 2013 or 2014, and I just dug it up because I thought sounded interesting. I made a couple of edits since I originally wrote it in A flat minor, but since it went Ab minor -> Gb minor -> Ab minor -> Fb major -> Ab minor, I decided to do away with the double flats, changing it to G sharp minor, F# minor, and E major to make it easier to read. But personally, I still prefer reading flats, even if I have to use double flats. But that's irrelevant.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nzspml24fw9616/g%20sharp%20minor%20%28old%29.mus?dl=0

cashwarrior1

Sounds like a character's theme for an RPG.

I'm always thinking about how songs could fit in video games, that's how I make my songs. Most original songs I hear I think of how it would fit into a game, and what type of game it'd fit in. :P

InsigTurtle

Might as well post more old stuff.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu7g9cej3sel9bq/etude.mus?dl=0
This was from September of 2013, when I was just starting grade 9, so I think I was 14 then?
I think it starts off nice, but I don't like the broken chords in octaves that I used, they feel like filler right before the climax. And nobody likes filler right before their climax.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 08, 2016, 12:12:42 AMAnd nobody likes filler right before their climax.
Oh... That explains some things...

InsigTurtle

Something new.
This used to be a study for left hand only, but by the second page, I thought it was too restrictive, so I decided to take that direction out, making it for both hands.
Also there's some tone clusters, but they play only flatted notes, so it's easier on your left arm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy2qkb4oe4dpb4n/down.mus?dl=0

daj

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 28, 2016, 07:51:21 PMSomething new.
This used to be a study for left hand only, but by the second page, I thought it was too restrictive, so I decided to take that direction out, making it for both hands.
Also there's some tone clusters, but they play only flatted notes, so it's easier on your left arm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy2qkb4oe4dpb4n/down.mus?dl=0

Scriabin Op. 9! Bwahaha.

Ahem.

Can't read .mus files now, but I'll have you know that I'm suddenly ultra-interested in this and I'll definitely review it when I get computer access ^^

InsigTurtle

I'm not too sure if that one will be to your taste, but if you want to, go ahead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a2ai7wra9jpquw/garlic.mus?dl=0

Anyway, something else. Garlic is mostly known for its bulbs, which are used in many different cuisines. The greens are not as common in cooking, but they are still used. Some also grow it for its purple globe of flowers. The cloves are rather spicy and pungent when raw, but become mellow and nutty when cooked.

Not that the name has anything to do with the piece. I couldn't think of a title to save the file as, so I looked to my left and I saw the garlic I was peeling, so I named it after that.

daj

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 30, 2016, 02:22:57 PMI'm not too sure if that one will be to your taste, but if you want to, go ahead.

...ooh........haha! HAHAHAHAHA xD
I loved it. I really loved it. I especially loved the transition to 3/4 - that was mysterious and graceful. But the whole concept is good, the music takes up this ritualistic, Satie Gymnopedie (asian spelling urgh) feel, it moves gracefully, and overall sounds fantastic. Oh, and creativity. Dang.

If only Finale could have this "human pedal" function that allowed some natural sustain to come into the mix. That's exactly what your track needs. But it's okay, I just imagined it during the playback ^^.

Quick review!

I first started smiling widely at b. 3, because the feel was there. It was awesome, you gave away your concept right from the start, and it worked. Great job <3

b. 6 borders on unplayable, but I assume this is where you first use your right hand, and you spread the four notes in the top two staves, right? :p

The descent from b. 6 to b. 9 is transcendent. The tone cluster actually gets denser after this transition, but you're in a lower register - that truly gives the effect of being down and clouded in your mind. It's dark, haunting, and beautiful.

That being said, playability issues from b. 10 to b. 14 are a thing; if you're playing full tone clusters with your left hand, then 1) how do you sound out the notes in the middle part which are within that tone cluster, and 2) how do you play a three-part phrase with only your right hand, especially if it extends way over an octave's reach at times? I think it sounds fantastic, really...but sadly we only have two hands. Unless, you know, you're supposed to ~get creative~ with the parts of your body. Idk. Maybe notate the whole "use left cheek to play" thing? :p
(haha just a stupid idea but basically, playability.)

The music has absolutely no direction from b. 15 to b. 20, and I think it's absolute genius. The music loses its sense of forward progression before the mysterious transition to the 3/4 section, and that's disturbingly effective. It's such a beautiful part - the melody goes all over the place, the dynamics mostly don't agree with the melodic shape, and the pedal points in the middle stave, lower part, are the only devices that keep the music going. And even those are displaced. Beautiful writing there <3. Though once again, playability might be an issue. Notate "use friend's face for tone clusters" more explicitly.

The rest of the music to the end takes ideas that you introduced in the beginning, but displaces them metrically, and I think that's amazing. It will sound much better live. Assuming you spread the big chords here for playability sake, haha.

Overall, fantastic work - I dig it so much, haha. A tiny bit of playability issues which have creative solutions mind you which kinda suck because the concept is so good. But great work. Hope to see more good stuff soon! ^^

Also took a little look at Garlic, btw! Fancied the Gerudo Valley-style entry, buuuuut not the rest. Don't think I can review that style of music, haha.

InsigTurtle

Oh, that's interesting, since a lot of people I talk to prefer the style that I used in the latter, so I thought you'd enjoy that one more. I wasn't feeling too confident about that one part you mentioned, m.15-20, since I thought it was ambling about confusedly. But I'm glad you liked it.

About the playability part, I was too lazy to notate the rolled parts, and I just left them implied. It's still pretty difficult to play nicely, though. That bottom clef actually has a 8 underneath it, it's played an octave below, so it doesn't clash. I know that using that clef is discouraged, but I didn't know how to make Finale play that clef back one octave lower for the whole piece... So since you're using your left arm for the cluster, your left hand is free to stretch out a bit. Admittedly, I'm not very friendly when it comes to notating which hand/arm/leg to use ^_^;

daj

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 30, 2016, 06:44:32 PMThat bottom clef actually has a 8 underneath it, it's played an octave below, so it doesn't clash. I know that using that clef is discouraged, but I didn't know how to make Finale play that clef back one octave lower for the whole piece...

Ahh. I'm blind :p

Mm, it's discouraged on this site, but you have the liberty to use it for your own compositions, yes! So that explains a lot, haha :) my bad there

QuoteSo since you're using your left arm for the cluster, your left hand is free to stretch out a bit. Admittedly, I'm not very friendly when it comes to notating which hand/arm/leg to use ^_^;

that is fantastic. Really <3
If you thought all of that out when writing, then wow. That's fantastic. It's so creative i don't even know what to say, haha. Great job, many kudos to that man :)

Mm, I suddenly see so much awesomeness in this piece. Haha, might give this a shot some day for the funsies and hair-pulling. We'll see how things work out! ^^ But thanks for the music, 'twas an amazing one~

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm seeing some influence from Schubert's c minor impromptu...
or maybe I'm just reading way too far into it lol
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

Oh, the repeated-note figure and the dotted rhythms? I wasn't actually thinking about that particular piece, but some other stuff did pop into my head when I was writing it.