News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Finale 2011 Crashes

Started by Maelstrom, September 04, 2015, 05:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Welp. I'm trying to double the length of the notes while revising one of my arrangements, but finale crashes whenever I try to make it double even just a page of staves.
It's Tragic Decision, which you can find on my arrangement page if you want to help, because I'm too lazy to provide a link.
And although I already stated I use Finale 2011, let me reiterate that this means I can't open anything saved by any newer finale program.

Tobbeh99

Do you know if it's the file that is the problem? try creating a new sheet and see if it's something wrong with Finale or with the file. If it is the file, just copy-paste the music on the new file and double the note length on that file.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

I don't think it's the file. I've had this problem before,  but never to this extent.

holland_oates89

You could try clearing your preferences to see if the problem keeps happening:
  • Close Finale.
  • Press the Windows Key + R to open a Run Dialog.
  • Type the following text (without quotes): "%appdata%/MakeMusic/Finale 2011/" - click OK to visit your F2011 AppData folder.
  • Look for any config files (they'll have a .ini extension. There's a Finale.ini and a FINMIDI.ini)
  • Delete both .ini files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Try to do EXACTLY what you did before the crash and see if it happens again

If it still crashes after that, it could be specific to your document even if you have seen it happen before. If this is the case, let me know. I use Macs at home and I don't actually have 2011 anymore, but there are a few more troubleshooting steps we can try! I'd tell you to get in touch with tech support but we don't support 2011 anymore, unfortunately.

The GOOD news is (drumroll) I used to work for tech support! Ha! So I'll do whatever I can to help - just understand it's not 'official' help.

Good luck!
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

mikey

yo did you ever say "have you tried turning it off and on again"
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 04, 2015, 09:17:30 PMyo did you ever say "have you tried turning it off and on again"

Please tell me you had to do at least one "is it plugged in" check despite being in software tech support

holland_oates89

Heh, well I lived in constant fear of offending someone so I never literally said "have you tried turning it off and on again," but yeah I made people restart ALL the time. Actually the steps I posted about clearing preferences is probably the closest thing to a catch-all solution to most problems in Finale, and you have to restart your computer in order for them to work, so we used them a lot, haha!

Also, just in case you were referencing The IT Crowd, that is the best TV show ever made. I don't even care that it's British.
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

Jub3r7

People will get offended no matter what you do, so it's really helpful to learn not to worry too much.

What's the circumstance the led to using 2011 over 2012?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Maelstrom

Quote from: Jub3r7 on September 05, 2015, 12:22:32 AMWhat's the circumstance the led to using 2011 over 2012?
Got it second hand from a neighbor for $140.00 last year

Maelstrom

And, it worked!
Thanks.
And yes, I did try restarting both finale and my computer before posting here, in case you were wondering, NoS.

mikey

did you try using a better version of finale then
if so I'm all out of ideas
unmotivated

Maelstrom