News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Copyright/Composer issues for a few specific cases

Started by Altissimo, September 03, 2015, 12:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

So, as I've mentioned before, my eventual goal is to arrange every piece of Hamtaro video game music that there is. There's a few cases, though, where I'm not sure how I would go about listing the composer or copyright info; any assistance would be much appreciated.

1) Between Ham-Hams Unite and Ham-Ham Heartbreak, 4 small (by "small" I mean like "15-20 second") excerpts of classical pieces are used. For Ham-Hams Unite, Bolero (from Ravel's Bolero) and Postman's Rush (from Necke's Csikos Post), and for Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Moonlight (from Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata) and Flower Waltz (from Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers).
2) Something like eight songs are re-used (some, with key changes) between Ham-Hams Unite and Ham-Ham Heartbreak, albeit upgraded in quality as the former is a GBC game and the latter a GBA game. The composer is the same between both games. Should the copyright information reflect the fact that the songs were composed for the GBC game initially, though re-arranged for the GBA game?
3) This is a bit related to situation 2, but not exactly the same. The title theme for both games is Hamtaro Time (GBC version; GBA version), which is a MIDI-fied version of the show's opening theme. According to the English credits the music in the show is the work of one Motoyoshi Iwasaki, who is decidedly not the Sakoto Yokota credited in the games' credits as the games' composer. Where should the credit and copyright go for this song?

Tobbeh99

1) I think the composers (Ravel, Necke, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky) should get the credit as composer, since there are basically nothing uniquely composed. You could write the game's composer as an arranger however, look at Olimar's arrangement on Tetris "A Theme" and you'll see what I mean.

2) Since they are so similar I think you should go with the one from the first game released. Otherwise write the copyright from the version of the song you chose to arrange, which game it's more based around.

3) I think the show's composer should be credited, and then the game's composer should be credited as arranger, like what I talked about in 1).
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

2) Unless it is exactly the same as the first game, use the second game's copyright info. If it remains unchanged between the two games, use the first game.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!