News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Need Finale help? PM Me!

Started by holland_oates89, August 18, 2015, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Continuing [this] conversation, is it not possible to set the positioning for page-attached text in all parts at once? That was kind of what I was getting at when I said that it took literal hours. The title, subtitle, composer, possible arranger, part name, copyright, etc. all having to be in a specific and uniform place, it wears on you more than the actual arranging/composing! xD I've memorized all of the text-alignment shortcuts for speed, but I do a lot of wind band and big band arrangements, and the 20-40 parts (even when instruments are sharing parts, like Flt. 1&2 on one page) can be exhausting and extremely time-consuming. I've even been discouraged from starting some new projects just because of this lengthy issue.

So back to my question, is that not possible? Lately I have been experimenting with having two files; one for correct score formatting and the other for correct part formatting, but it is still a grueling endeavor.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

holland_oates89

@NocturneOfShadow: Thanks! Ha, no sorcery here.... yet, anyway. Like ThatGamer pointed out, it's a play on words from "Hall & Oates," the rock band from the seventies. In It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, there's a joke where one of the characters thought that the rock band was just one person named Holland Oates. I just thought it was funny

@Maelstrom: Glad to hear that worked! Sorry it took me a while, I had to reinstall 2011 to remember what needed to be done, heh. It's amazing how easy it is to forget software after the new version comes out!
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

holland_oates89

@Olimar12345: Probably the very best thing to do would be to take one of your existing scores that is set up the way you like it, save a copy of it, then highlight all the music and click Edit > Clear All Items. This will completely remove any music from the score so that it is blank. You can then save that as a template for future documents, and the positioning information will be retained. If you still have the old title/composer information filled in, click Window > ScoreManager, then click the File Info tab, and you can delete any reference to the previous title.

As far as entering these values on a per-document basis, unfortunately no it isn't possible to position all page-attached text at once. But, if you find yourself needing to use these features pretty frequently, you may look into automating the process using Finale Script. I won't lie, it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out, but I use FinaleScript to automate a lot of similar text-related tasks.

For example, one of the publishers I work with uses some very old Sibelius documents that don't include any page-attached text at all, so I had to create a FinaleScript that could add the text back in and position it. It took a lot of jury-rigging because (sadly) FinaleScript can be instructed to click somewhere other than a button, menu, etc. But through learning a few esoteric shortcuts and programming FinaleScript to use those rather than clicking, I was able to get a working result. If you wanted to send me an example document, I could try to see if I can set up an example script for you, but be warned: this would take me a long time to do.
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

Trainer Ave

I can't find a way to delete the abbreviation Pno.
I use Finale Notepad 2012
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

mikey

Quote from: BoywithoutaFairy on December 08, 2015, 07:16:50 AMI can't find a way to delete the abbreviation Pno.
I use Finale Notepad 2012
see if anyone will remove it for you and send them the MUS file.
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Post about it here for help. Also, you can avoid this issue in the future by using our FREE TEMPLATE FILE which comes without the "Pno." abbreviation.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Trainer Ave

So I have the file. Now how exactly do I use it?
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Olimar12345

It's a template, which in the sense of computing means:

"a preset format for a document or file, used so that the format does not have to be recreated each time it is used."

-Google

You would use it as a base for future arrangements.

braix

You open it up and change what you need(i.e. Title, arranged by, composed by, copyright, etc)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 08, 2015, 11:52:11 AMYou open it up and change what you need(i.e. Title, arranged by, composed by, copyright, etc)
hm, you can't actually change ALL of it in notepad I don't think
unmotivated