NSM Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you Mario! But our sheets are in another castle!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Performance Submission Guide  (Read 6263 times)

Latios212

• Pokémon Music Curator
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Wheeeee™
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Performance Submission Guide
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »

(Ideally the performer should also be given notice that the cover is in consideration for publishing.)
Yes. While we're not stealing content, we should probably make some effort to contact them to check that they're okay with it, maybe even bring them to the site in the process.

To fine-tune that, if a cover is done by a non-NSM member, the original arranger of the piece must give their permission for the video to be posted.
This however makes no sense to me. The whole point of having sheets on site is so that anyone can play them.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

• Resident Fire Emblem Expert
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Go play Umineko
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »

Woops. I do not agree with that statement.
I thought it said the performer must give their permission first. I would agree with that.
My arrangements

Spoiler
[close]

Jamaha

• NSM Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Corneria Concert
    • View Profile
    • NinSheetMusic
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »

Slight misunderstandings here, it seems.

It does not have to be arrangers performing their own arrangements. It just needs to be the performer submitting the performance.

This is correct.

To fine-tune that, if a cover is done by a non-NSM member, the original arranger of the piece must give their permission for the video to be posted. (Ideally the performer should also be given notice that the cover is in consideration for publishing.)

This shouldn't be necessary. The arrangements are publicly available on the site so the arrangers should be fine with them being used for covers.

What I was going for with that rule was to ensure that no one's videos are posted on the site without the creator's permission. It might be a non-concern in practice, but I wanted to make sure no one feels their videos are being exploited, so to say. I suppose a better rule would be to allow posting of other people's videos if you have their permission. Alternatively, you could let the performer know about this forum so that they could submit the cover themselves.

holland_oates89

• Bombchu Bolero
  • Finale Questions? Ask me!
    • View Profile
    • My Posts on the Finale Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:58 AM »

How do we feel about audio-only performances, or videos that have audio with no performance footage? I'm trying to practice my arrangements as I write them but there's probably no chance of me getting through a whole performance alone. I have a Finale document style that, when edited with video software, can scroll continuously throughout the duration of the music (similar to Finale's scroll view but continuous instead of jumping every 4 bars) and I've been planning on using this with some of my own piano compositions anyway.

If the goal is to hear how the piece is supposed to sound written by a person, I think I could start a youtube channel for my sheets. If the goal is to actually show people how these arrangements can be played with video footage, lol I'm probably not able to contribute.

(That said, if anyone else wants to play my arrangements do it!!! I'd be soooooooo happy.)
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

JDMEK5

• The Banana King
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »

How do we feel about audio-only performances, or videos that have audio with no performance footage? I'm trying to practice my arrangements as I write them but there's probably no chance of me getting through a whole performance alone. I have a Finale document style that, when edited with video software, can scroll continuously throughout the duration of the music (similar to Finale's scroll view but continuous instead of jumping every 4 bars) and I've been planning on using this with some of my own piano compositions anyway.
Sure I'd say as long as the audio is of a real person actually playing the piece for real. If I understand correctly the point of this is to get "real-life quality" playing. Better than a VST could provide even. That is, unless the player is just doing it for the sake of the video footage which I believe is fine too.

If the goal is to hear how the piece is supposed to sound played by a person...
I think this is the main goal.^
Need a DS MIDI you can't find? PM me and I can probably get it.

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012

Latios212

• Pokémon Music Curator
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Wheeeee™
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »

Sure I'd say as long as the audio is of a real person actually playing the piece for real.
Yeah.

Slight modification here:
the goal is to hear how the piece actually sounds (and looks like) when played by a person...

It sounds like you're going to set up sheet music videos à la Bespinben which is awesome and you should do so! (Really.) But I think this board is for people playing pianos, not computers playing virtual instruments.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]

JDMEK5

• The Banana King
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 06:08:53 PM »

Aye.
Need a DS MIDI you can't find? PM me and I can probably get it.

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012

holland_oates89

• Bombchu Bolero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:35:02 AM »

Sounds good to me!

@Latios212: Just to clarify, this would be me recording myself in a studio playing a real-life piano. I wouldn't be using any computers... well except a DAW to record it obviously, ha!

I just don't have the ability as a performer to successfully play through a full piece without some unacceptable errors. I'd put the sheet music up (a la Bespinben) so that people have something to look at while I plunk through the piece, but I don't have any plans of using VST's or software to actually make the music. So, ultimately it would be a live recording with sheet music displayed at the same time. Do you think that would be ok? I can respect how important it is for people to actually see someone playing the music, but I just don't think I have the facilities to play it myself without doing a LOT of takes, or practicing for months before actually releasing anything.

I guess if I were really tricky I could try recording video anyway and seeing if I can edit the takes together somehow, but I really doubt I have enough expertise in video software to make that happen convincingly... What do you think would be best?
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

Bespinben

• Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • I... I sHalL cOnsUmE. CoNsuMe.. cOnSuMe eVerYtHing
    • View Profile
    • Bespinben's Piano Performances and Sheet Music
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:36 AM »

How do we feel about audio-only performances, or videos that have audio with no performance footage? I'm trying to practice my arrangements as I write them but there's probably no chance of me getting through a whole performance alone.

You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbg9V2KnD8

It'd be nice to have the cover footage as well, but considering the majority of Youtube sheet music videos are in the manner you described, I don't see why not.

(a la Bespinben)
While the majority of my videos are VST playback, I do have a select few in which I have both sheet music and a live video recording of the song similtaneously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QVDiw5fak

I have a Finale document style that, when edited with video software, can scroll continuously throughout the duration of the music (similar to Finale's scroll view but continuous instead of jumping every 4 bars) and I've been planning on using this with some of my own piano compositions anyway.

OHHH! I've been wanting to figure out how to do that. My dream would one day to have my videos look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXgLw4vKsPI
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:15:39 AM by Bespinben »
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

holland_oates89

• Bombchu Bolero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 05:23:43 AM »

It would be similar to the Sebastian Freij video you posted, except without the video footage. It would just be the score scrolling by as I commit musical hari-kari with my arrangements.

It's actually easier than you might think. Basically you have to make one single gigantic system and export it as a pdf or image file. Then, you load it into a program like AfterEffects (or possibly any video editing software) and animate the image so it slowly moves to the left. My goal is to also include a giant cursor and to actually time the animation so that the cursor lines up with the recording. Not exactly easy, but I know it's possible to do.

By the way - Bespinben, your scores look very well-polished! Are you using Sibelius in your videos, or is it Finale with a different font like Maestro Wide? Just curious.

LCKTR

• Blank Manuscript Paper
    • View Profile
    • LCKTRBeats on SoundCloud
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »

I'm currently arranging music from NSM in Reason, and uploaded my work to SoundCloud. Is there a topic or thread where I can share them? (I'm new here, so if I have missed the thread somewhere, excuse my noobism  ;D )
"The military industial complex is a front for multinational corporations whose sole purpose is to conspire against MICHAEL JACKSON'S MONKEY!!!"

Yug_Guy

• Flashman Funk
  • Mustache not Included
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »

I'm currently arranging music from NSM in Reason, and uploaded my work to SoundCloud. Is there a topic or thread where I can share them? (I'm new here, so if I have missed the thread somewhere, excuse my noobism  ;D )
I think the best place for you to put them would be in "Creativity Corner." There's already a few threads there which are similar to what you're already doing.

LCKTR

• Blank Manuscript Paper
    • View Profile
    • LCKTRBeats on SoundCloud
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 06:44:43 PM »

I think the best place for you to put them would be in "Creativity Corner." There's already a few threads there which are similar to what you're already doing.

OK, I will. Thanks! :D
"The military industial complex is a front for multinational corporations whose sole purpose is to conspire against MICHAEL JACKSON'S MONKEY!!!"

BoywithoutaFairy

• Star Fox Salsa
  • Shiny Pokemon Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 05:52:48 AM »

Ok so I have a question and it has to do with this rule that it must be me performing and posting the video. On the main site there are several pieces that are either Duets or Two Piano pieces and I would like to know is it fine to post videos that do not only include me.

braixen1264

• why am i a mod
  • Global Moderator
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • yay
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 05:58:44 AM »

Ok so I have a question and it has to do with this rule that it must be me performing and posting the video. On the main site there are several pieces that are either Duets or Two Piano pieces and I would like to know is it fine to post videos that do not only include me.
I'm curious if duets are allowed, because I want to do some one person duets
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.