NSM Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Performance Submission Guide  (Read 6261 times)

Jamaha

• NSM Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Corneria Concert
    • View Profile
    • NinSheetMusic
    • Email
Performance Submission Guide
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »

Introducing NSM Performance Videos!

There are lots of videos on YouTube of talented musicians playing the arrangements we have created. In many cases such videos and channels have way fewer views and subscribers than they deserve. The aim of this project is to give more exposure to said musicians and help the people browsing our site find them. Of course, at the same time NSM gets more activity and our great arrangements get more lively performances than the MIDI files currently provide.

The videos posted on this board will be collected into news post on a regular basis. The actual schedule of this is to be determined based on the number of videos we actually receive. We will also create playlists of the videos to be listed on our YouTube channel. At some point the plan is to attach the videos to the arrangements posted on the site to provide a live preview of the arrangements.

Some rules just to make sure things go smoothly:

1) Only videos of the arrangements posted on the site and played on a piano are allowed.

2) Only post videos of yourself playing. Do not post videos by your friends or by some random YouTube performers.

3) The videos you post in this board can be added to playlists listed on NSM's YouTube channel. Later on, they will be linked on the NSM main site.

4) Create only one topic for your videos. New videos are to be posted as replies to that topic. Please also update the first post of your topic to include links to all the videos you have posted so we can keep track of which videos have already been showcased.

5) There is no limit to the number of videos you can post. Feel free to post your entire backlog if you wish. We'll most likely limit the number of videos per person in each update so that they don't get flooded. That also helps us get more content for further updates to make sure we don't run out of videos in the first week.

Some of the details here are still a bit under consideration. If you have any questions or comments, let me know.

Maelstrom

• Resident Fire Emblem Expert
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Go play Umineko
    • View Profile
Re: Performance Submission Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »

Would it be a good idea to add a topic where people can post ideas/suggestions/tutorials for those just starting out?
Like what kind of mics/cameras/software work best, how to record best, etc.

edit: Does this make the NSM performance project board unnecessary/obsolete/extraneous?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:28:44 PM by Maelstrom »
My arrangements

Spoiler
[close]

Jamaha

• NSM Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Corneria Concert
    • View Profile
    • NinSheetMusic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:38:01 PM »

Would it be a good idea to add a topic where people can post ideas/suggestions/tutorials for those just starting out?
Like what kind of mics/cameras/software work best, how to record best, etc.

That could be a good idea. There might actually be something related to that being planned, I'll get back to this later.

edit: Does this make the NSM performance project board unnecessary/obsolete/extraneous?

Maybe. The idea is slightly different. In the Community Performance Project the plan was to create one video medley of a specific game and post in on NSM's YouTube channel. This is more about collecting videos people already have on their channels. But still, the two projects overlap quite significantly. I suppose the Community Performance Project is on hold for the moment, not that it was progressing anyway.

Maelstrom

• Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Go play Umineko
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »

Maybe. The idea is slightly different. In the Community Performance Project the plan was to create one video medley of a specific game and post in on NSM's YouTube channel. This is more about collecting videos people already have on their channels. But still, the two projects overlap quite significantly. I suppose the Community Performance Project is on hold for the moment, not that it was progressing anyway.
On hold? I'd say it's further gone than just on hold.

And also, a pinned In Progress topic for claiming songs would be nice.
My arrangements

Spoiler
[close]

Jamaha

• NSM Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Corneria Concert
    • View Profile
    • NinSheetMusic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »

Probably true. What I meant is that we're not actively doing anything to improve that situation.

Also, there's no claiming of songs here. We aren't really going for "2458/2458 all arrangements completed" here. This is just about letting people posts videos of the arrangements they have wanted to play. If that results in 10 different version of the Super Mario Bros. main theme, then so be it.

Sebastian

• Fan of Marios
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • PM me if you need anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »

You guys need a mod for the Performance submissions? ;)

Anyway, I love this idea and have been waiting for this for a long time! Excellent work, Jamaha! You bet you'll be seeing videos from me :)

MaestroUGC

• Bringer of Magnificence
  • Global Moderator
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • A Man of the People
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »

Considering this is a minor thing, we can probably just assign this area to one of the existing mods. Maybe one of the new guys?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Sebastian

• Fan of Marios
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • PM me if you need anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »

Oh ok.

Olimar12345

• The Captain
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »

I think Winter expressed interest in keeping up with something like this.

Latios212

• Pokémon Music Curator
  • Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Wheeeee™
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »

Yeah, Winter wants to do it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]

Bespinben

• Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • I... I sHalL cOnsUmE. CoNsuMe.. cOnSuMe eVerYtHing
    • View Profile
    • Bespinben's Piano Performances and Sheet Music
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 10:28:34 PM »

I have some concerns.

At some point the plan is to attach the videos to the arrangements posted on the site to provide a live preview of the arrangements.

2) Only post videos of yourself playing. Do not post videos by your friends or by some random YouTube performers.

While I do attempt to learn most if not all of my own arrangements, I certainly have NO time to master them to a performable level. I do however have a list of MANY covers of my arrangements done by my Youtube subs that I think deserve views. So, if the eventual goal is to provide a live preview on the main-site, why should the performance submissions be restricted to arrangers performing their own arrangements? Additionally, the current rule would alienate a large body of NSMers that are moreso instrumentalists than pianists.
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Tobbeh99

• Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »

I have some concerns.

While I do attempt to learn most if not all of my own arrangements, I certainly have NO time to master them to a performable level. I do however have a list of MANY covers of my arrangements done by my Youtube subs that I think deserve views. So, if the eventual goal is to provide a live preview on the main-site, why should the performance submissions be restricted to arrangers performing their own arrangements? Additionally, the current rule would alienate a large body of NSMers that are moreso instrumentalists than pianists.

I definitely agree with you. Make it so that the arranger can submit performances he/she feels does the arrangement justice.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Dudeman

• NSM's Least Active Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Resident Rip Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »

I definitely agree with you. Make it so that the arranger can submit performances he/she feels does the arrangement justice.
To fine-tune that, if a cover is done by a non-NSM member, the original arranger of the piece must give their permission for the video to be posted. (Ideally the performer should also be given notice that the cover is in consideration for publishing.)
All Hail Lkjhgfdsa_77

[close]

Jub3r7

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • oh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 12:03:53 AM »

So, if the eventual goal is to provide a live preview on the main-site, why should the performance submissions be restricted to arrangers performing their own arrangements?
It does not have to be arrangers performing their own arrangements. It just needs to be the performer submitting the performance.

I am fairly certain that the idea is to have piano covers of the piano arrangements that we have on the site. If we still had a section of sheet music that wasn't for piano, then the non-piano performances would go there.

Maelstrom

• Updater
  • Nintendo Nocturne
  • Go play Umineko
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 12:55:52 AM »

To fine-tune that, if a cover is done by a non-NSM member, the original arranger of the piece must give their permission for the video to be posted. (Ideally the performer should also be given notice that the cover is in consideration for publishing.)
I agree with this statement.
My arrangements

Spoiler
[close]
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.