News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

You gave a .musx file to a Notepad user again, Bespinben.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 15, 2015, 07:03:39 AMYou gave a .musx file to a Notepad user again, Bespinben.

Actually, a former Notepad user. I recently got Finale 2014, so it's all good.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

This awesome song finally got feedback! With Finale 2014, you can make PDFs, midis, and mus with it by exporting and you don't need to download anything for pdf making.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 15, 2015, 12:41:50 AMThe updater train is here! It seems this sheet has gone through a few flip-flops between exact transcription and adaptive arranging. I didn't get to see the sheet in its first iteration, so I will simply judge it as it is currently.

As regular Me, I love it -- good harmonies especially for the RH. However, as Updater Me, when there IS a way to incorporate the independent voices, ideally this route should be taken as far as NinSheetMusic transcriptions are concerned. There are a few exceptions (SlowPokemon's "Prologue" submission from Ace Attorney being one them), but this is the standard. Allow me to demonstrate a version of the song (m. 4-7), that incorporates all the voices:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/SM3DW%20-%20Super%20Bell%20Hill%20%28example%29.musx

Some inverting, octave transpositions, and choice omissions were necessary to make it at the very least physically playable, but it is what I believe a very faithful representation of the source material. Granted, I don't expect you to fit a 4-part ensemble into 2 hands EVERY TIME, but if there's a way to do it (within reason), why not?
-----------------

That's just one subject though. I would much rather address what you HAVE arranged, since the former subject is a rather touchy one as of late (again, c.f. Slow's "Prologue"). The only thing that truly stops me from hitting the Accept button right away (and I want to really bad because this is an especially good arrangement) is the lack of the fine details that make the song. I've noted below (from m. 1-2) several missing notes in red, and a rest in blue where it was formerly tied over.

Also some important chord strikes and walking bass lines (m. 3-4):

-------------------------------------

Wow. that is definitely a much better way to incorporate all voices while still maintaining the playability. I understand exactly what you're saying; I just didn't think there was a way to put all 4 voices into 2 hands. However, My one problem is that I'm not hearing that guitar part. Can you show me where you heard that? I can definitely take care of the other 3 voices no problem.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Just a note: I don't recommend exporting pdf-files. I used to do it but I had some weird problem when using tuplets: that "3's" and "6's" would appear at the bottom of the pages.
So I strongly recommend printing+pdf-program for the pdf-files. But you can use export for mus and midi.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Ok, so I just wanted to make sure I'm on the same page. Is this basically what you were telling me to do? I'm gonna need someone's help with the guitar part Bespinben has in his example, because I can't hear that at all, for some reason.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 15, 2015, 07:21:57 AMJust a note: I don't recommend exporting pdf-files. I used to do it but I had some weird problem when using tuplets: that "3's" and "6's" would appear at the bottom of the pages.
So I strongly recommend printing+pdf-program for the pdf-files. But you can use export for mus and midi.

Good to know. But I've been having a problem with MuseScore lately. Whenever I use the template from the "What should your sheet look like?" thread, I edit the copyright to say whatever it should. However, when I export as an xml and import into MuseScore, the text reverts back to what it says on the template. And I can't fix it. Like MuseScore doesn't think there's any text there. I haven't tried importing one from 2014; maybe it was just Notepad's issue, but I don't know. I'll probably just stick with the printing+pdf-program I have.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, I have updated all of the files. I think I basically did what you were telling me. However, could you help me with the guitar part? I'm at least hearing that part now that I'm listening for it, but I'm still having trouble distinguishing pitches and rhythms. Also, let me know if I need any staccato, accents, etc. anywhere.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

Quote from: cqk328 on July 15, 2015, 11:56:35 AMOk, I have updated all of the files. I think I basically did what you were telling me. However, could you help me with the guitar part? I'm at least hearing that part now that I'm listening for it, but I'm still having trouble distinguishing pitches and rhythms. Also, let me know if I need any staccato, accents, etc. anywhere.

Way to take this initiative! I'm very impressed. Do you have a simple audio editor, like Audacity? I think if you slow down the tempo (and maybe play with an Equalizer to favor mid-range frequencies), that would make it a lot easier for you to pick out the guitar part.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Bespinben on July 15, 2015, 01:43:06 PMWay to take this initiative! I'm very impressed. Do you have a simple audio editor, like Audacity? I think if you slow down the tempo (and maybe play with an Equalizer to favor mid-range frequencies), that would make it a lot easier for you to pick out the guitar part.

Yea, I have Audacity. I'll try that.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Man, I don't know if this is any good at all. Here's my attempt. I only did it for the first section, as I didn't want to get too far in case I was way off. See, the problem with equalizing is that it gets rid of the bass but not the melody. And that's what really blocks out the guitar. And I can't get rid of the melody without taking out the guitar as well. I've tried slowing the tempo, using an equalizer, and wearing headphones. I can hear the guitar part, but its kinda distorted and it doesn't help that it plays 2 or 3 note chords and I have to try to make out what that is in order to pick which one note to use in the left hand. Let me know if this is any good.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

I personally think the first part measure 1-20 is really good. But the second part measures 21-end could be a bit better. Try picking out the guitar in that part to fill in some of the gaps to say.

Did you know of this website?: http://www.audiostretch.com/audiostretchforflash/

You can use it to slow down your songs basically how much you want to! :)
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 15, 2015, 03:05:07 PMI personally think the first part measure 1-20 is really good. But the second part measures 21-end could be a bit better. Try picking out the guitar in that part to fill in some of the gaps to say.

Did you know of this website?: http://www.audiostretch.com/audiostretchforflash/

You can use it to slow down your songs basically how much you want to! :)

Wait, what I have is really good? That's surprising, actually. And the reason it seems to get weak at 21 is because I stopped there. I'll try to finish it up relatively soon. And no, I hadn't heard of the website. Very useful! :D

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

It sounds really good but I don't know if it's actually correct, haven't listened closely enough. Maybe those guitar notes are thirds I don't know. If so it might actually be a smart choice omitting them, since it might be a bit too much in bass if you add them, and it will also make the arrangement more accessible if you omit them.

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on July 15, 2015, 06:32:40 PMIt sounds really good but I don't know if it's actually correct, haven't listened closely enough. Maybe those guitar notes are thirds I don't know. If so it might actually be a smart choice omitting them, since it might be a bit too much in bass if you add them, and it will also make the arrangement more accessible if you omit them.

They are thirds. But if you want to be able to play both it and the bass, you kinda have to omit one of the notes. Personally, I'd prefer not to put it in, but Bespinben wanted me to do it, and there's a good chance it could be accepted once I finish this guitar part.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Maelstrom

If you don't agree with Bespinben, just say so, and explain yourself. It's your arrangement after all.