News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

MOVED: Purple1222119's Orchestral Arrangments!

Started by Purple1222119, June 27, 2015, 11:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple1222119

I'm moving this topic over to Creativity Corner as I feel it is more appropriate there.

Moved to here: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7226.0
My Youtube! Featuring Orchestrations of Nintendo music and more!
Latest Tracks: Super Mario RPG & Superstar Saga HD ReMIX

Maelstrom

Pretty good. They are just a little too sparse with the voices. I know it's much easier to just transcribe it with the correct instruments, but these songs could really use the extra effort. I'm not expecting you to become a master of it right away, but you could take some inspiration from someone like Blake Robinson (The Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra). I obviously don't you to have the technology to get equivalent sounds, but he's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. Try to capture the original feel and add to it.
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUODCr2LVhY
See if you can tell what I mean.

Purple1222119

Oh yeah, I've been a big fan of Blake Robinson as well as Skotein (from Pokemon Reorchestrated). I definitely did try to look to their arrangements before I started.

Yeah, I realized that my arrangements were more direct transcriptions using orchestral samples, while the above mentioned arrangers definitely take creative liberties. I think they are going for the more cinematic feel, especially Skotien.

Another remixer I drew inspiration from was the person who did the Mystery Dungeon remastering project, and I think I was more trying to go towards that style, or something in between.

So I gotta work on making a fuller sound, and taking some creative liberties in adding things?

Dudeman

You had me at Superstar Saga. :P Seriously, great choice of game for your first arrangements!

I agree that a fuller sound would really complete these pieces. A good idea is adding some bassier instruments to the background to really give it a thick base (pun intended). Of course, I know squat about orchestration so that might be really bad advice, but you can try it out and see how it sounds.

I'm really, really excited to see where you go with this. You're doing really well!
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bespinben

Quote from: Purple1222119 on June 28, 2015, 02:23:06 PMAnother remixer I drew inspiration from was the person who did the Mystery Dungeon remastering project, and I think I was more trying to go towards that style, or something in between.

So I gotta work on making a fuller sound, and taking some creative liberties in adding things?
...and you just spoke the magic words!

If you're looking to TGH as a model, I think it would be helpful to know that even his remasterings take creative license in their own subtle way. Here's two examples:

1.) PMD1 Personality Test ~ Notice the timpani roll at 0:24 leading into the chorus, and also the extra overtones added into the chords throughout 0:30-1:16? Filling in these sonic gaps goes a long way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMeoKxZq1js

2.) PMD2 Primal Dialga ~ He added a completely original bass-line. Instead of taking the route of the OST and just have it play elongated on the chords, he instead matched it with the rhythm of the guitar and percussion. It's a very subtle alteration, but it just adds so much to the drive of the piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9ivQLZFaQ
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Purple1222119

Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it :)

So would you say my arrangement of the Boss Battle theme is a tad bit more in line with a fuller sound? The regular battle was pretty much a direct transcription, but I reinforced a lot of parts in the boss battle arrangement, and also added my own subtle change to fill in some gaps (tuba punches reinforcing the bass guitar during the melody's ascending scale part).

And I hadn't really noticed the subtle changes in the Mystery Dungeon arrangements, but dang they are effective! I'll keep those subtle changes in mind.