News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

General Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Started by K-NiGhT, June 18, 2015, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

But his tactic is "Let's go together" not "Go after enemies"
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

SlowPokemon

Then switch it to "avoid enemies" or whatever that one's called, there are like six or seven different options besides those two.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

I actually just switched it to "Follow Me" since apparently he'll only go after enemies if they're directly next to him. It's just a pain because the game doesn't stop you from B-dashing while your team members are stuck fighting something, so you can't do anything to stop them.

mikey

Can't you go on missions by yourself
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Not until the post game. You are required to have at least your partner with you all the way through the main game.

K-NiGhT

Double post because I just came up with a timeline for the Mystery Dungeon games, assuming the hero is the same person through each game. Once I get home I'll post it if anyone's interested.

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 21, 2015, 03:10:12 PMDouble post because I just came up with a timeline for the Mystery Dungeon games, assuming the hero is the same person through each game. Once I get home I'll post it if anyone's interested.

I doubt the hero would be the same, especially since Explorers seems to be entirely separated from the other games due to the future arc. But if you have an interesting theory then go ahead

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

K-NiGhT

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on June 21, 2015, 04:30:52 PMI doubt the hero would be the same, especially since Explorers seems to be entirely separated from the other games due to the future arc. But if you have an interesting theory then go ahead
it's more of a headcanon than anything, considering that it relies on a couple of assumptions, such as the appearance of Grovyle, and a few differences in the human world and the Pokemon world.

mikey

I actually always get a different Pokemon depending on which questions they ask me
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Just finished the main story of Gates to Infinity.

My thoughts?

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 22, 2015, 12:44:07 PMJust finished the main story of Gates to Infinity.

My thoughts?

So you didn't like it?

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

K-NiGhT

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on June 22, 2015, 12:53:27 PMSo you didn't like it?
Well, I liked it for what it was. It's just not great when compared to the other two games. And that's definitely not nostalgia blindness, since I've been playing Rescue Team and Explorers alongside it and have been having a much better time.

Anyway, yesterday I promised a theory on the timeline of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. That was before my internet decided to be down until like 9:30 this morning. Anyway, I'm going to work on it right now and post it if I have it finished to my liking before I go to work in two hours.

K-NiGhT

PMD Timeline Theory: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL GAMES AHEAD!
Alright, let's get this done. I have a theory that all the games in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series are connected historically, and also that the player is the same human every time. This may be further compounded with some examples in the series (even some you might not expect).

So, the way I see it, the timeline goes:
  • Explorers
  • Gates
  • Rescue Team
  • Super (tentatively)
Era #1: Explorers
So our adventure begins here. The world is still fresh and new, and the Pokémon need to go out and explore what's out there. This leads to the creation of exploration teams and guilds, which eventually lead us to the events of Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. We'll be getting to this later.
[close]
Era #2: Gates
This takes place many years after the events of Explorers. The world has pretty much been completely explored, but now the problem of territorial disputes arises. Tension builds and negativity spreads. Hundreds of species of Pokémon are wiped out (explaining the pitiful lack of Pokémon in Gates to Infinity). The Bittercold begins to slowly destroy the hope of the world, and the Voices of Life must find a way to stop it. This is actually where the player makes their first appearance. Throughout the game, the player is told that other humans were sent to the Pokémon world to stop the Bittercold, but that they are the only one left. When the player finally stops the Bittercold, their role comes to an end and they're sent back to the human world. The partner decides to go to the Hill of Universal Order in an attempt to bring the player back. This is where things get a little interesting. This is the only game in the whole series thus far that gives you the choice of whether or not you want your character to come back to the Pokémon world. The player, knowing that his return to the Pokémon world would cause untold distortions and problems down the line, can either choose to leave entirely, or request that the Voices of Life recreate their Pokémon body in order to ease the partner's heartbreak. After this, the player returns to their normal life.
[close]
Between Gates and Rescue Team
When the player returns, he notices that virtually no time has passed since he left. (This can also be evidenced in the PMD manga, "Ginji's Rescue Team," where the main character, Ginji, returns to the human world within one night after being in the Pokémon world seemingly for many months.) After spending some time in the human world again, the player is contacted by another Voice of Life: Gardevoir. She tells them that the world of Pokémon is in trouble once more and asks for their help based on their success against the Bittercold. The player agrees, but asks that their memories be erased, so as to "clear both heart and mind." This is most likely due to the player not wanting their emotions towards their former team in Gates getting in the way of their mission.
[close]
Era #3: Rescue Team
When the player returns to the Pokémon world, many years have passed since the Bittercold was destroyed. Peace was gradually restored to the world, and many more species returned from extinction. The world has been almost completely explored, and the exploration teams of days past have been reformed into rescue teams. The player wakes up without any memory, and finds another partner to help them on their journey. Near the end of the journey, it is revealed that the player was sent to save the world from a falling star set to crash into the planet. This could be due to the power of the Bittercold in Gates, which could distort gravity in its most powerful form. This caused a shift in the polarity of the planet, which lined it up with the falling star in Rescue Team. The other natural disasters were caused by Gengar, the human from the Ninetails Legend. The player is once again victorious, and is sent back to the human world, with the Voices of Life once again providing a proxy body for his friends.
[close]
After Rescue Team
This is where things really start to go wild. There is a significant branch in the timeline after the events of the Rescue Team games, and it all hinges on the partner, believe it or not.
Outcome #1
This is the more likely of the two outcomes. If the partner in Rescue Team is any Pokémon besides Treecko, then the timeline continues to Super Mystery Dungeon. The amount of Pokémon species skyrockets, and the majority of the world is accessible. The events of Super Mystery Dungeon take place. (Since the game isn't out yet, I'm unable to go into specifics. I may even have to change its spot in the timeline based on the plot, but this seems like the best place to put it for now.)
[close]
Outcome #2
If the partner is Treecko, the timeline heads into the ruined future of Explorers. The human is asked by Gardevoir to come back to the Pokémon world and help investigate the disappearance of the Time Gears in a far-off, forgotten land. They do this, but this time they return in human form, since their proxy Pokémon body is still alive. Due to the distortion of spacetime in allowing a human to travel to the Pokémon world in human form, the player acquires an ability that would otherwise be impossible to possess: the Dimensional Scream. The player finds Treecko, who has since evolved into Grovyle, and proves his identity by showing him one of their Rescue Badges (this can again be supplemented by "Ginji's Rescue Team," in which Ginji is shown to have his Rescue Badge when he returns to the human world). The player and partner team up once more to stop the planet's paralysis, but they ultimately fail. In a last ditch effort, they team up with Celebi to travel to the distant past using the Passage of Time in order to return the Time Gears to the Temporal Tower and restore their future. However, when they get through the Passage, Darkrai attacks them, causing the player to transform into a Pokémon and lose their memories once again. The events of Explorers take place.
The player wakes up and finds the partner, whom they form an exploration team with. Eventually, they learn that someone is going around stealing the Time Gears and causing the planet's paralysis. It is soon discovered to be none other than Grovyle. The player and partner team up with Dusknoir and apprehend Grovyle, but Dusknoir betrays them and drags them into the future. Grovyle eventually tells them that he lost his partner when they travelled back in time to get the Time Gears. He also mentions that his partner was a human and that they possessed the Dimensional Scream. The player and Grovyle are finally reunited. Along with the partner from Explorers, they travel to the Hidden Land and return the Time Gears, stopping Dusknoir and Primal Dialga along the way. The player then disappears due to the future being corrected, and WE HAVE A PARADOX LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Dialga sees fit to bring the player back. The player and Explorers partner graduate from Wigglytuff's guild and begin more exploration work. Eventually they come into conflict with Darkrai, who caused the player's memory loss and transformation at the beginning of Explorers' adventure. After defeating him, the player decides that he must return to the human world. He leaves his Pokémon body behind again,and has Dialga and Palkia return him as a human to his own time.
Side Note/Easter Egg?
In Blue/Red Rescue team, Alakazam makes mention of a legendary rescuer/explorer named Lucario. The highest rescue rank you can achieve is also the Lucario rank. If you played as a Riolu in Explorers of Sky, this is very likely to be your character!
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
SO. That's the gist of my theory. Now let's tackle some issues. Let me know what you think and we can hopefully iron out some of the inconsistencies!
[close]

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 22, 2015, 01:04:31 PMWell, I liked it for what it was. It's just not great when compared to the other two games. And that's definitely not nostalgia blindness, since I've been playing Rescue Team and Explorers alongside it and have been having a much better time.

Fair enough. You gave it a fair chance so that's fine with me.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 23, 2015, 09:57:06 PM
PMD Timeline Theory: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL GAMES AHEAD!
Alright, let's get this done. I have a theory that all the games in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series are connected historically, and also that the player is the same human every time. This may be further compounded with some examples in the series (even some you might not expect).

So, the way I see it, the timeline goes:
  • Explorers
  • Gates
  • Rescue Team
  • Super (tentatively)
So our adventure begins here. The world is still fresh and new, and the Pokémon need to go out and explore what's out there. This leads to the creation of exploration teams and guilds, which eventually lead us to the events of Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. We'll be getting to this later.
[close]
Era #2: Gates
This takes place many years after the events of Explorers. The world has pretty much been completely explored, but now the problem of territorial disputes arises. Tension builds and negativity spreads. Hundreds of species of Pokémon are wiped out (explaining the pitiful lack of Pokémon in Gates to Infinity). The Bittercold begins to slowly destroy the hope of the world, and the Voices of Life must find a way to stop it. This is actually where the player makes their first appearance. Throughout the game, the player is told that other humans were sent to the Pokémon world to stop the Bittercold, but that they are the only one left. When the player finally stops the Bittercold, their role comes to an end and they're sent back to the human world. The partner decides to go to the Hill of Universal Order in an attempt to bring the player back. This is where things get a little interesting. This is the only game in the whole series thus far that gives you the choice of whether or not you want your character to come back to the Pokémon world. The player, knowing that his return to the Pokémon world would cause untold distortions and problems down the line, can either choose to leave entirely, or request that the Voices of Life recreate their Pokémon body in order to ease the partner's heartbreak. After this, the player returns to their normal life.
[close]
Between Gates and Rescue Team
When the player returns, he notices that virtually no time has passed since he left. (This can also be evidenced in the PMD manga, "Ginji's Rescue Team," where the main character, Ginji, returns to the human world within one night after being in the Pokémon world seemingly for many months.) After spending some time in the human world again, the player is contacted by another Voice of Life: Gardevoir. She tells them that the world of Pokémon is in trouble once more and asks for their help based on their success against the Bittercold. The player agrees, but asks that their memories be erased, so as to "clear both heart and mind." This is most likely due to the player not wanting their emotions towards their former team in Gates getting in the way of their mission.
[close]
Era #3: Rescue Team
When the player returns to the Pokémon world, many years have passed since the Bittercold was destroyed. Peace was gradually restored to the world, and many more species returned from extinction. The world has been almost completely explored, and the exploration teams of days past have been reformed into rescue teams. The player wakes up without any memory, and finds another partner to help them on their journey. Near the end of the journey, it is revealed that the player was sent to save the world from a falling star set to crash into the planet. This could be due to the power of the Bittercold in Gates, which could distort gravity in its most powerful form. This caused a shift in the polarity of the planet, which lined it up with the falling star in Rescue Team. The other natural disasters were caused by Gengar, the human from the Ninetails Legend. The player is once again victorious, and is sent back to the human world, with the Voices of Life once again providing a proxy body for his friends.
[close]
After Rescue Team
This is where things really start to go wild. There is a significant branch in the timeline after the events of the Rescue Team games, and it all hinges on the partner, believe it or not.
Outcome #1
This is the more likely of the two outcomes. If the partner in Rescue Team is any Pokémon besides Treecko, then the timeline continues to Super Mystery Dungeon. The amount of Pokémon species skyrockets, and the majority of the world is accessible. The events of Super Mystery Dungeon take place. (Since the game isn't out yet, I'm unable to go into specifics. I may even have to change its spot in the timeline based on the plot, but this seems like the best place to put it for now.)
[close]
Outcome #2
If the partner is Treecko, the timeline heads into the ruined future of Explorers. The human is asked by Gardevoir to come back to the Pokémon world and help investigate the disappearance of the Time Gears in a far-off, forgotten land. They do this, but this time they return in human form, since their proxy Pokémon body is still alive. Due to the distortion of spacetime in allowing a human to travel to the Pokémon world in human form, the player acquires an ability that would otherwise be impossible to possess: the Dimensional Scream. The player finds Treecko, who has since evolved into Grovyle, and proves his identity by showing him one of their Rescue Badges (this can again be supplemented by "Ginji's Rescue Team," in which Ginji is shown to have his Rescue Badge when he returns to the human world). The player and partner team up once more to stop the planet's paralysis, but they ultimately fail. In a last ditch effort, they team up with Celebi to travel to the distant past using the Passage of Time in order to return the Time Gears to the Temporal Tower and restore their future. However, when they get through the Passage, Darkrai attacks them, causing the player to transform into a Pokémon and lose their memories once again. The events of Explorers take place.
The player wakes up and finds the partner, whom they form an exploration team with. Eventually, they learn that someone is going around stealing the Time Gears and causing the planet's paralysis. It is soon discovered to be none other than Grovyle. The player and partner team up with Dusknoir and apprehend Grovyle, but Dusknoir betrays them and drags them into the future. Grovyle eventually tells them that he lost his partner when they travelled back in time to get the Time Gears. He also mentions that his partner was a human and that they possessed the Dimensional Scream. The player and Grovyle are finally reunited. Along with the partner from Explorers, they travel to the Hidden Land and return the Time Gears, stopping Dusknoir and Primal Dialga along the way. The player then disappears due to the future being corrected, and WE HAVE A PARADOX LADIES AND GENTLEMEN Dialga sees fit to bring the player back. The player and Explorers partner graduate from Wigglytuff's guild and begin more exploration work. Eventually they come into conflict with Darkrai, who caused the player's memory loss and transformation at the beginning of Explorers' adventure. After defeating him, the player decides that he must return to the human world. He leaves his Pokémon body behind again,and has Dialga and Palkia return him as a human to his own time.
Side Note/Easter Egg?
In Blue/Red Rescue team, Alakazam makes mention of a legendary rescuer/explorer named Lucario. The highest rescue rank you can achieve is also the Lucario rank. If you played as a Riolu in Explorers of Sky, this is very likely to be your character!
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
SO. That's the gist of my theory. Now let's tackle some issues. Let me know what you think and we can hopefully iron out some of the inconsistencies!
[close]

The Gates to Rescue team idea does make some sense now that I think about it, but my biggest question about this theory is the PSMD role.

Spoiler
From the treehouse live, it strongly indicates you and your partner are children in PSMD. Yet in the PMD2 manga it's pretty much confirmed that the human is a teen and in rescue team the words you use in the story seem to indicate you would be as knowledgeable as a teenager at least, so unless PSMD takes place immediately after RRT/BRT and the human was a kid all along, how would that work if he's a kid now, unless it happens to take place inbetween Explorers and GTI instead?
[close]

K-NiGhT

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on June 24, 2015, 01:02:11 PMThe Gates to Rescue team idea does make some sense now that I think about it, but my biggest question about this theory is the PSMD role.

Spoiler
From the treehouse live, it strongly indicates you and your partner are children in PSMD. Yet in the PMD2 manga it's pretty much confirmed that the human is a teen and in rescue team the words you use in the story seem to indicate you would be as knowledgeable as a teenager at least, so unless PSMD takes place immediately after RRT/BRT and the human was a kid all along, how would that work if he's a kid now, unless it happens to take place inbetween Explorers and GTI instead?
[close]
Spoiler
Haven't seen the treehouse yet to avoid as much of the game as I can. However, I think it could be still plausible. As I said, time moves faster in the Pokémon world compared to the human world a la Narnia. We're not sure how long it is between the ending of Rescue Team and the future of Explorers, nor do we know how long the player fights with Grovyle in the future. However, we can assume that he would still be younger by the time PSMD begins.
[close]