News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[SNES] Super Mario World - "MAP 2 (Overworld)" (Replacement) by Brawler4Ever

Started by Zeta, June 02, 2015, 08:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario World
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: MAP 2 (Overworld)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Brawler4Ever

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Edit (existing arranger remains)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Brawler4Ever

This basically just a formality. Full credits remain with G-Han; I didn't even touch the notes.  :P

The reason for the replacement is that I believe that the song has the wrong name. The song plays in Donut Plains and in Chocolate Mountains in Super Mario World. I've called it "Donut Plains" with "Chocolate Mountains" as a subtitle.

I also updated the url and copyright. Everything should be accurate now.

Reference:

[EDIT] Now that I look at it, it plays in more than just Donut Plains and Chocolate Mountain. It kind of plays everywhere, so calling it World Map makes sense. :P

I dunno, I'll let the mods be the judge.  :)
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Tobbeh99

Just noticed:
You could fix the third beats RH quarter-8th rests to dotted quarter rest.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Brawler4Ever

Sebastian

Nice work!
I would recommend only one thing. I always avoid 1 measure systems and you have one. I would have 2 4 measure systems instead of what you have which is 3, 4, 1.
Great work!

Bespinben

Always look for an official soundtrack release when it comes to stuff like this. Super Mario World does indeed have an official soundtrack release, and therefore we have an official name for the track:

"MAP 2 (Overworld)"
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_World_(album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIQU-lI_BC4

When there is no soundtrack release, then yes, using the most recognizable name would be the best choice (ex: the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team OST), but NSM standard dictates that when there is an official name, it must be used, which is the case here.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Brawler4Ever

Thanks, bespin. Based on the SMW sheets that we have on site, and from what you said, I believe that the sheet name should be called "Overworld."

I have two sheets that I would like to present as a result; both have their pros and cons.

This is the sheet suggested by MLF. It has a 4 4 measure system, rather than the 4 3 1 measure system present in the original. The problem is that the tempo mark is covered by some notes, and there's nothing that I can do to change it.

Here is another form of the sheet. It runs a 3 2 measure system with a repeat. The problem is that it only plays once. Both the original and the prior sheet play twice.

I'm fine with either. I just want to know what everybody else thinks. :)

Sebastian

Tobbeh99

I'd go with the 4 4 one. I think it's unnecessary to have volta brackets when it's such a short song. And don't worry about the problem of tempo mark being covered, people with higher versions of Finale can fix that for you. :)

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Brawler4Ever

Alrighty then! Thanks, MLF, for your edit. I've submitted your version above in MUS, MIDI, and PDF form.

Everything should be fixed now.  ;D

Sebastian

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on June 03, 2015, 03:55:38 PMI'd go with the 4 4 one. I think it's unnecessary to have volta brackets when it's such a short song. And don't worry about the problem of tempo mark being covered, people with higher versions of Finale can fix that for you. :)
My version fixed the tempo mark problem

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 03, 2015, 04:40:04 PMAlrighty then! Thanks, MLF, for your edit. I've submitted your version above in MUS, MIDI, and PDF form.

Everything should be fixed now.  ;D
Excellent!

Bespinben

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on June 03, 2015, 03:17:49 PMThanks, bespin. Based on the SMW sheets that we have on site, and from what you said, I believe that the sheet name should be called "Overworld."
You are very welcome. However, I don't think I communicated my message quite right. There is no "believing" or guessing that needs to be done. We HAVE an OFFICIAL name, which is "MAP 2 (Overworld)", not "Overworld". Don't compare to the other ones on-site -- all of them are incorrectly titled. For future reference, this is the complete list of tracks from the official OST release (which can be found in the wiki I linked above):

In regards to the discussion over measure distribution, I do like the 4-and-4 layout, but it's customary to have an indent on the first system, which the new upload lacks. I do omit this sometimes as well, but only as a last resort. Instead, if you do the 3-and-2 layout (using a 1st & 2nd ending repeat structure), you can incorporate the indent, and to solve the "stretchiness" of the second system of 2 measures, just compose a 1-measure final ending, resulting in a total of 3-and-3.

Latios212

Love this track! ;D

I thought measure 4 looked kinda funny with the tied eighths, so I added swing notation. Personally, I think it looks cleaner.

How's this?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

Quote from: Latios212 on June 03, 2015, 07:06:54 PMLove this track! ;D

I thought measure 4 looked kinda funny with the tied eighths, so I added swing notation. Personally, I think it looks cleaner.

How's this?

(^o^)=b Bespin seal of approval

Brawler4Ever

Sweet! I am loving this collaboration!  ;D

Original post has been updated with latios' version.