[GBC] Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal - "Cherrygrove City/Mahogany Town" (Replacement) by Latios212

Started by Zeta, April 27, 2015, 02:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

I dunno about ugly, but the point of enharmonic spellings is to illustrate the function of notes within a given context and F# does this quite nicely. I guess seeing sharps and flats together (and knowing it's correct) is just something you need to get used to. There are a number of chords which in certain contexts will contain both sharps and flats, for example diminished 7th chords and augmented 6th chords. Or for an example containing Bb and F#, the Gmin/M7 chord has G, Bb, D & F#.

But in this case, I think much of that is irrelevant as the F# is a non-harmonic note. Sometimes in music like this with such clearly defined parts, it can help to look at it bit more 'horizontally' rather than 'vertically' (I never really liked that explanation but unfortunately I haven't yet found a better one).

Bespinben

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on April 27, 2015, 10:27:12 PMlook at it bit more 'horizontally' rather than 'vertically' (I never really liked that explanation but unfortunately I haven't yet found a better one).
How about...
Spoiler
Diagonally.
[close]

Quote from: Latios212 on April 27, 2015, 06:26:26 PMAlso the playback is playing some of the notes in the second layer funny, I don't know why. (But the sheet is fine.)
Yeah, 2014 is really weird with the way layer 1 interacts with layer 2. I can't even do a functional chord roll between two different layers :/ There are workarounds to these things though. Here though, you don't need to worry about that, because it is actually common practice to merge two voices into one layer when the two voices are in rhythmic unison.

So, in the RH of m. 3, 5-8, 10, & 12, just write it all in one layer. You could also apply this to the first 2 beats of m. 11, as long as you hide the 2nd layer for the first 2 beats and correct the note stem directions accordingly.

EDIT: Just was admiring the massive outpouring of community interest on this submission. An arrangement from Latios must be the latest big thing (and I would agree)!

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on April 27, 2015, 11:31:50 PMSo, in the RH of m. 3, 5-8, 10, & 12, just write it all in one layer. You could also apply this to the first 2 beats of m. 11, as long as you hide the 2nd layer for the first 2 beats and correct the note stem directions accordingly.
All done! Thanks for the tip! :D

Quote from: Bespinben on April 27, 2015, 11:31:50 PMEDIT: Just was admiring the massive outpouring of community interest on this submission. An arrangement from Latios must be the latest big thing (and I would agree)!
Gee thanks ^^ I'm just glad to help out! More to come as summer break approaches!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Bespinben on April 27, 2015, 11:31:50 PMYeah, 2014 is really weird with the way layer 1 interacts with layer 2.
Does changing the playback instrument to a different one for each layer help? I've never seriously messed around with that except when wanting some percussion playback for finger clicks, piano taps etc

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Bespinben on April 27, 2015, 11:31:50 PMYeah, 2014 is really weird with the way layer 1 interacts with layer 2
Do you guys have the latest update??
I remember having problems with the layers playback in an earlier version, it was like they were not synchronized. But in the latest update it's much better and I haven't noticed any problems with the playback. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

I don't know honestly. I'll try checking and playing around with it more later. Thanks for the info! :)

But for now this seems to be working, as per Bespinben's suggestions!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on April 27, 2015, 10:27:12 PMI dunno about ugly, but the point of enharmonic spellings is to illustrate the function of notes within a given context and F# does this quite nicely. I guess seeing sharps and flats together (and knowing it's correct) is just something you need to get used to. There are a number of chords which in certain contexts will contain both sharps and flats, for example diminished 7th chords and augmented 6th chords. Or for an example containing Bb and F#, the Gmin/M7 chord has G, Bb, D & F#.

But in this case, I think much of that is irrelevant as the F# is a non-harmonic note. Sometimes in music like this with such clearly defined parts, it can help to look at it bit more 'horizontally' rather than 'vertically' (I never really liked that explanation but unfortunately I haven't yet found a better one).

Eh, ok, that makes sense.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

Copy-paste your work into Deku's supah awesome template:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/Template%202.1%20%281%29.ftmx

(right now it still looks like it was made in a super old version of Finale)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

:o :o :o :o

....everything is super-sized now...?

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta