News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

What music sheets are you playing right now?

Started by AwesomeYears, March 29, 2015, 03:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: FireArrow on August 22, 2015, 12:31:03 PMChopin is the corny "The piano is my voice, and I shall express my soul through it" composer. So that, along with being really showy, kinda creates the whole annoying, pretentious Chopin cult. I do agree that there's reasons to enjoy him though.
He was that before it was cool XD
Now, you're right- everyone tries to make themselves better with Chopin.
But Slow said "the ones who know least about piano are the ones who are most obsessed with Chopin", which if you look at people like Josh Wright, clearly isn't true ;)
Similarly, look at BachScholar on YT if you want some absolutely horrid playing of Bach (and of Chopin and others, he's murdered quite a bit).
@Maestro He also criticized a lot of his contemporaries- IIRC, when Schumann sent him Kriesleriana (spell check needed)he said something along the lines of "The only thing good about this is the title page".
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Liszt I guess was as bad in a different direction- he was allegedly quite a womanizer, and smoked and drank heavily.
Maybe that's how he became a genius?
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Genius is. The only thing that matters is if the circumstance it exists in would serve to silence it.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, before we turn this into a discussion with just us, I should ask- what are you working on, Maestro?
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Tobbeh99

Quote from: FireArrow on August 22, 2015, 12:08:29 PM

Help me I suck at trills ;-;

Just look up youtube tutorials on the issue. Hopefully you'll find some help from them.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bloop

trills are awkward yes

About the whole Chopin - Bach thing, I do like to play Chopin more than Bach. I can see Bach being more in depth than Chopin, though.
Once, at my boyfriend's grandparents, I played through some pieces out of a book full of Chopin's nocturnes. I'd rather have played that than a book full of Bach.
Still, I only know (some of) Bach's inventions and sinfonias, and I've only played a few nocturnes, one prelude and one étude (the easiest one probably) from Chopin, so maybe I don't have enough knowledge about composers to really have a part in this.

What I see as "knowing the least about piano", is "Look, I can play Für Elise and this cheesy 4-chord songs with simple melodies that sound beautiful!"

also to get back on the original topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

You and I are working on the same Beethoven sonata Bloop XD
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

Wait what.
I'm currently working on playing the first and third movements of that sonata.

FireArrow

I was learning that one before I switched over to the fugue, I'll probably pick it up again after. :3
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bloop

ThatGamer

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

SlowPokemon

I have a pretty neato program for my junior recital.

Chopin - Impromptu Op. 29, No. 1
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in F Minor, BWV 881 (No. 12 of TWTC book 2)
Mozart - Rondo No. 3 in A Minor, K511
Debussy - Sunken Cathedral (No. 10 of Preludes book 1)

I have the Chopin memorized, and the Mozart is getting there, while I can play through the prelude and some of the fugue just fine. Haven't really started on the Debussy, but I'm not anticipating issues with it since I had such a good time working on a prelude of his last semester. ("The Sounds and the Perfumes Swirl in the Evening Air")
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Good job on playing the best Debussy prelude.