News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[3DS] Pokémon X/Y - "Anistar City" by InsigTurtle

Started by Zeta, February 28, 2015, 11:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon X/Y
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Anistar City
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: InsigTurtle

[attachment deleted by admin]

InsigTurtle

InsigTurtle

InsigTurtle

#3monthbump
I changed a few things. No more of those echo notes, since they make it harder to play.
Also added a note telling performers to omit some notes if they find it too difficult.
Also added 'al niente' to the end, not sure if I should keep that or the sign that I had previously (diminuendo with the open circle at the end)

Bespinben

Don't know why, but for some reason I have this tendency to avoid songs I quite like :P Maybe it's because I find I find myself looking to deeply at them... who knows? Let's keep it simple then, and get this one on-site:

*Try to use mordents and grace notes where possible. This will save space, and is probably the most sight-reader friendly option. Some places include the 32nd triplet in m.3 (replace with mordent over a 16th note B), the upwards scaling 32nd triplet in m. 4 (replace with grace notes on first beat of m. 5). Same goes for m. 5 and m. 6.
*The articulation sometimes seems to contradict itself. You wrote "con pedale", but throughout the piece the entire 1st layer of the LH is written as staccato. The indication to staccato over pedal is indeed not unheard of, but it suggests to play "as if staccato" meaning that fingering is detached and/or jumpy - a performance direction rather than a sound suggestion. The way the line looks it would be best if it were played in a smooth connected style, as con pedale implies. I understand the OST has the line as staccato, but it just doesn't match up if you're going to play "con pedale".
*Sheet aesthetics -- You have a lot of markings colliding into eachother. The beginning of the slur in m. 5 intersects the "3" of the triplet at the end of m. 4. (Might not be a problem if were written as grace notes, see?) The mezzo-forte in m. 7 is inside the bottom layer of the RH. The 8va marking seems really out of alignment with where it should start (i.e. the beginning of beat 2.5, not floating somewhere in beat 1.627). There's a staccato inside the LH 1st layer rest in m. 10. Slur goes right through the 8va in m. 17. This is mostly just a sample to make a point -- you got to pay attention to all the small details!
*Last thought -- While the effort to provide the most information to the performer about the original song is admirable, this shouldn't be used as a way to get out of doing our job as an arranger - to eliminate the unnecessary components. Take m. 12 for example. If there is no way the D written in the lower staff can be played be either the LH or RH, why provide the information? I think you would agree with me, considering your most recent revision included:
Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 01, 2015, 02:06:06 AMI changed a few things. No more of those echo notes, since they make it harder to play.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot