Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Great Sea
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Zunawe

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zunawe

This is the same version I submitted a few months ago for the Zelda update. I PM'd Olimar about in September, and he said he would look at it later.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Xaoz

Quote from: Zunawe on February 12, 2015, 03:21:57 PMThis is the same version I submitted a few months ago for the Zelda update. I PM'd Olimar about in September, and he said he would look at it later.

Olimar's definition of later is pretty airy I'd say... You just need to annoy him until he finally does it :D

I should get a macro for reminding people about the new NSM-URL :D

I really like the Great Sea Theme from Wind Waker! I feel yours is alright, still sounds a bit "empty".
Not sure if "Go To Measure 9" is good... Maybe use D.S. instead? Atleast that's what I would do.
You might also want to add "con pedal" or some pedaling by hand.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Zunawe

I'd rather not annoy him.

I made this well before the change. I just forgot to update it.

I'm not sure if D.S. works that well with an infinite repeat. I'll look into pedaling, but it didn't really sound like I needed it when I first made it.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Bespinben

Quote from: Zunawe on February 12, 2015, 06:26:30 PMI'm not sure if D.S. works that well with an infinite repeat. I'll look into pedaling, but it didn't really sound like I needed it when I first made it.

Solution: compose an ending ;)

(you could do what the 25th anniversary Wind Waker medley does by ending the song on the trumpet fanfare of the ALTTP Title Theme)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

mikey

Quote from: Bespinben on February 12, 2015, 07:41:46 PMSolution: compose an ending ;)

(you could do what the 25th anniversary Wind Waker medley does by ending the song on the trumpet fanfare of the ALTTP Title Theme)
I thought it ended with WW's credit theme
unmotivated

Bespinben

Quote from: Xaoz on February 12, 2015, 07:42:40 PMKing Sammer does not approve!
The rejection - it burns!

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 12, 2015, 08:27:44 PMI thought it ended with WW's credit theme

The medley itself does, yes, end on the WW Credits, but I'm referring to where, at the close of the Great Sea section of the movement, the ALTTP Title fanfare is played (it's then followed by the iconic LoZ Main Theme, but that's for leading into other songs in the symphony, so we can omit that).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

The Deku Trombonist

The chords in the intro should be as follows (from the bottom up):
Bar 1: D F# A
Bar 2: C# E A
Bar 2: Cnatural E A
Bar 4: B D G
Bar 5: A D F#
Bar 6: A C# E
Bar 7: G Bb E
Bar 8: A C G

If you're going to throw in the horn line, it only really makes sense if you put the A in the following bar.

Also, it's in D major, not A.

And don't forget our new URL.

That's all I've got time for at the moment.

Zunawe

Updated with Deku's changes. This will probably go slowly from my end; I have lots of stuff to do for school for a while.

I program things

Olimar12345

Couple quick things:

-A double bar line at 9 would be nice, since it is where we repeat back to.

-Anywhere you have two eighth notes tied together on the up beat of three would be nicer to see as a quarter note.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

Zunawe

Updated again with the double bar line and quarter notes. I contemplated changing the "Go to Measure 9", but I can't think of an elegant way to denote the same thing without creating an ending (which I'd rather avoid, if only to preserve the actual piece's behavior).

I program things

Olimar12345

Don't worry about that, writing "go to measure X" is a perfectly fine way to put it. Not to mention there will be no question about endings or repeats now.

I'll go back through this one in the next couple days, as soon as I can get to a PC again.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JesterMusician

So I have the official piano arrangement for this song (part of The Legend of Zelda Series for Piano). I must say, your arrangement is more than just better than the original submission: it's extremely similar to this published score! (that's a compliment to your arranging, not an accusation of plagiarism) =)

I want to be hesitant with my criticism so as to not make it sound exactly like the published score...but you should know there are really very few differences. I won't say anything specific that this book does differently, but I can say a few things about the arrangement that I could have told you without it:

• You should add dynamics.
  • The right hand of 1-8 is unique; 41-48 and 71-78 are different from it (but identical to each other).
  • The Eb in 50 (and similar figures) should be spelled as D#.
  • The last three notes of 13 and 14 should be G-G-D, 39 and 40 should be C-C-G.
  • Consider wrapping up 17-24 in a prima volta, and 33-40 in a seconda volta, just like the volta system later in the piece.

There are also a couple of aesthetic differences, and perhaps some very minor inaccuracies, but I don't think I can divulge them. Besides, there's already very little room for improvement with this arrangement, in my opinion. Well done!

(Okay, I'll mention ONE thing that you were concerned with: despite the piece's interior repeats, the book says D.S. at the end with a Segno marker at 9.)