[MUL] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - "Rainbow Road Series Medley" by Clanker37

Started by Zeta, February 07, 2015, 05:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Smash Bros.
Game: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Rainbow Road Series Medley
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Clanker37

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Oh man, this is one of my favorite remixes from SSB4 and this sounds great ;D

I don't really know quite enough yet to comment on note placement, but are those 8va markings supposed to be 8vb markings?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Clanker37

Quote from: Latios212 on February 07, 2015, 08:12:55 AMI don't really know quite enough yet to comment on note placement, but are those 8va markings supposed to be 8vb markings?
I suppose you are technically correct, however I've always used 8va regardless of up or down and I've never had it be a problem before on NSM. Further still, the SmartShape tool seems to only allow me to change it to 8va so...idk. If it is a problem, could someone please advise on how to change it? (The Finale website tells me to use the SmartShape tool, which only has 8va for both...)

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

dat composer credits do

*^Srsly, props to you for fitting all that in. However, it is extremely messy, not to mention some other header info is not in compliance with formatting guidelines (ex: Song title needing to be bolded). You have all the unused whitespace at the bottom of page 1, so if you move all the systems down, you'll have a lot more breathing room for the composer info.
*Just a suggestion, but one thing I like doing when adding text for different songs within a medley is to create a frame around the text. So like for "Mario Kart 7" at m. 5, select the text, and under the Text tool drop-down, select "Standard Frame", and that should bring up an interface to create a text frame box.
*There's a sudden difficulty spike at m. 14, 19, 24, 27, 32, and 35 with the quarter triplet in the RH overlaid against the bass ostinato of 16ths. This is essentially a variant of the 3:8 polyrhythm, which at this speed is comparable to playing the crazy later section of Zelda II "Palace/Temple" theme, which also features a 3:8 polyrhythm. I don't think that's what you like to go for in your arranging know you Clanker, so I would recommend changing the bass figure under the triplets to be "8th-8th" instead of "8th-16th-16th", so that way it sizes down the polyrhythm to a much more manageable 3:4 polyrhythm.
*M. 39 rhythm grouping in the 2nd layer of the right hand is super off. Remember to clearly show each beat.
*M. 40 ~ The stems of the octaves in the RH should be facing downwards, not upwards.
*If you tweak around with the measure distribution and page formatting, you can easily get rid of the 7th page.

*M. 44 & 52 ~ The 8va below the bass is overlapping with the staccato markings. No bueno.
Quote from: Latios212 on February 07, 2015, 08:12:55 AMare those 8va markings supposed to be 8vb markings?
Clanker actually is fine with that one. "8vb" is copyist shorthand that somehow weaseled its way into popular notation, but technically the correct marking for ottava under the bass would be "8va basso".
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Clanker37

Suggestions implemented except for:
Quote from: Bespinben on March 19, 2015, 06:47:49 PM*^Srsly, props to you for fitting all that in. However, it is extremely messy, not to mention some other header info is not in compliance with formatting guidelines (ex: Song title needing to be bolded). You have all the unused whitespace at the bottom of page 1, so if you move all the systems down, you'll have a lot more breathing room for the composer info.

I have no idea how to move the bars down to fill that space. I'm not well versed with the fine details of Finale. Do you have any idea...?

Bespinben

Just spin the V-Wheeeel!!!!!
Seeing as you have Finale 2012, this should be a breeze. Click "Staff Tool", and once you do, a bunch of handles should appear over the left end of each system. Now just click and drag, and... weeeee!!!
To make this adjustment symmetric (as in, keeping the same distance between each of the systems), shift+click each of the handles on the page, and then use either arrow keys or the mouse.

Bespinben

Looking good!
*Just noticed a small transcription error though -- the C natural of m. 11 and 12 should actually be a C#.
*Also, in m. 40 beat 4, the top tie of the RH octave should curve upwards not downwards. Finale did this because of the 2nd layer, but you can manually correct this by using Special Tools --> Tie Tool --> Right-click the handle by the offending note --> Edit --> Tie Direction (Over).

Fix that and I'll click the shiny button.

Zeta